Spell Damage + Auchenai + Healing spells

The spell damage buff no longer adds additional damage to healing spells when played in conjunction with an Auchenai damage trigger. I’m a long time Reno Priest player and this has been a problem since the Dalaran Heist release as far as I know. Is this intended?

also please unnerf Raza thx

The issue is known, but whether it’s intended is unclear. When the heist was released, one of the bug fixes was:

Fixed an issue where damage would not be correctly doubled when playing a healing effect with Crystalsmith Kangor and Auchenai Soulpriest on the board.

That happened because damage (or Healing) modifiers were being applied after Auchenai conversion, meaning Kangor wouldn’t see the value as healing. This was evidently corrected by moving modifiers before Auchenai conversion. But since Spell Damage is a modifier, it doesn’t see the pre-conversion healing as something to adjust.

It’s likely a more elaborate system will have to be put into place if the intended behavior is to have the best of both worlds. Something like applying modifiers both before and after, but not allowing the same one to apply twice to prevent Velen from quadrupling it. But that’s just speculation, hinging on an assumption of the currently unclear intended behavior. For now this is just how it works.

I feel it makes more sense to have that interaction work with Malygos than it would with Kangor. As Auchenal Soulpriest reads “any healing effects deal damage INSTEAD”, that should imply (to me, at least) that healing value has now been converted into damage value, therefore allowing to become affected by Spell Damage.

In Kangor’s case, since the card is no longer “healing” anything, it shouldn’t have any relation. That’s just the way I see it :slight_smile:

One year and a half later this is still an issue. When Healing effects deal damage instead, Malygos’ effect doesn’t apply to these spell when it used to - and should per ruleset consistency.

if the same interaction is still in the game 1,5 year later then you can be fairly certain the interaction is working as intended :slight_smile:

Except it worked as I said for five years prior to that so if your reasoning is right it is indeed unintended. This stopped working when they tried to correct the behavior of another card in RoS and was never in the patch notes, which furthermore demonstrates it was unintended.

It WAS in the notes. Not explicitly for this interaction. But the part of the notes quoted above by Jetz makes it clear there was an intentional change to how modifiers and healing-to-damage modifiers interacted.

You may or may not be right that this side effect was unintended and a surprise to the team; we’ll probably never know. But it’s known for a long time now, so I agree with Peverin: if the team decided this was not an acceptable interaction, it would have been changed already.

(And frankly, I personally would consider it incredibly weird and unintuitive if Spell Damage applied to healing spells. Even with Auchenai effects in play. The spell itself is still trying to heal, not trying to damage, so spell damage should not apply because it’s the same spell. A healing bonus should, of course, apply with or without Auchenai effect).

You could say, similar to Mo’arg Artificer, the damages “comes from” the Soulpriest’s effect, not from the spell itself.