Someone explain “Immune”

I do not fully understand when Immunity decides to work and not work. Meaning, when an immune target can be a target and can’t be a target.

If a minion is Immune, they can’t be targeted but are still able to be targeted by random chance targets?

Or not even that, the POS pally weapon that I hate is immune unless you have a card to destroy a weapon? (That is still a direct target, not random chance). As much as I hate that weapon, why should it be able to be destroyed?

Immunity already lets the opponent ignore the Taunt targets. I honestly can’t tell if Immunity is OP or a waste.

Sometimes they can be targeted and sometimes not, where is the line?

I should say, I have asked about this before but still doesn’t make sense when there are cards to target something, like the pally weapon. That is targeted.

An immune minion cannot be damaged by any sources (it can still be destroyed). In addition, it cannot be targeted by the opponent (for cards, hero powers, or attacks). Being untargetable by attacks overrides taunt, similar to stealth. It can still be targeted by the controller. Random effects are not considered targeting (except “cast spells on random targets”), so they can still hit immune minions (including random damage, which will do nothing).

Are you talking about The Immovable Object from Lightforged Cariel? The weapon isn’t immune, it just doesn’t lose durability. It’s a different mechanic.

The weapon is immune, despite the text saying otherwise. However, weapon destruction doesn’t target.

Source? I think it’s just durability-related, and a completely different mechanic because only weapons have durability. I’m not saying it isn’t functionally the same. Since there can be only one weapon, there’s no need to target weapon destruction, so weapon destruction will always hit the one weapon.

Yes immovable object. It shows the same design or outline like immune characters.

Durability isn’t a different mechanic at all actually. It has a different symbol, but it’s the same variable as health. This was determined by hearthstone mythbusters using corsair cache (the nerfed version which gives +1 durability) with transmogrifier, which transformed the weapon into a random legendary minion and then gave it +1 health.

1 Like

I concede. “doesn’t lose Durability” seems to be the same as if the weapon said “immune”, but the wording is different for apparently no reason

Are you daft? Did you seriously ask for a source on an interaction in a card game? The weapon is obviously immune. Source: I have functional eyes.

Yes. I was referencing the wiki, and the word “immune” did not appear with reference to the weapon, so I was thinking it was a different mechanic. If I hadn’t asked for further information, I would have continued to believe I was correct. Now I know better, and am glad that I asked.