Should I craft legendary mercs if I have enough coins?

Any reason not to? I don’t think there is even a pity timer on packs, correct?

1 Like

No, you will never get enough coins to level their skills.

3 Likes

If you want that mercenary, feel free to craft it. You probably won’t acquire it any other way. If you plan to grind enough, you can upgrade its skills. Just know that it will take some time.

3 Likes

What do you mean “No”? Don’t troll the guy.

OP, craft them whenever you have the coins, run them in your parties to level them and if you grind a lot (and i mean a LOT, maybe months) you’ll slowly accumulate coins to max their abilities.

3 Likes

I mean he will never get enough coins to level their skills, if he spend 500 to craft. I made that mistake with my LK, now I have his first skill to level 4 and everything else is level 1. Literally unusable in PvP, even after 7 tasks.

4 Likes

Never isn’t the same as anytime soon. Mercs were designed to be grindy and tedious. It’s like saying “Don’t craft cards for standard hearthstone because you’ll never get them all”. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I had to craft most the Legendary mercs i own , dont worry you can complete tasks with them after to improve their skills.
It does take time but if you do all 18 tasks in that merc you will end up with your skills maxed, for example my Jaina i had to craft her and after all the tasks completed all my skills are lvl 5, you wont have enouth to max the equips though but since Ice block already came maxed out shes already perfect for pvp.

3 Likes

Not the same, since in standart, you don’t need to upgrade the cards after crafting. Praying for a merc drop is a lot more viable than spending 500 coins and never getting his skills up after.

2 Likes

So, what’s the alternative? Spending thousands of gold or $$$ on packs hoping to get that legendary? That’s the mistake I made. But hey, now i have useless portraits for all that gold i spent.
Grindy game modes be grindy.

3 Likes

Thanks all - going to just craft it and enjoy it. I can always grind whatever level for coins if I REALLY want that one to be powerful.

4 Likes

Unfortunately with how the system is, yes. I have spend 12k gold and am missing 3 mercs. Guldan, Garosh and Rexxar.

That’s the spirit! <3

3 Likes

You could be trying to pull him out of a pack, so you might want to save the coins for levelling his abilities/equipment when you do. If you’re not buying packs, the slim chance you might get him out of the handful of packs you get free doesn’t seem worth playing to.

The only alternative is hoping to open the merc in packs, or paying real money for random Legendary mercs until you get what you want. Crafting is generally the best option unless you want to spend a LOT of money on the mode.

The reason for this is that once you have the mercenary, it’s actually reasonably easy to get more coins if you focus on their tasks (you get 985 coins for a merc from their 18 tasks) and target the bounties that drop coins for them.

Acquiring Mercenaries packs as F2P is actually fairly limited. You get some from the story quests, but that’s a one time thing and 1 from each of the last three tasks for each merc. You should not expect to open much more than 2 Legendaries in total from these packs, at least not until you have gotten most Rare & Epic mercs through their entire set of tasks.

1 Like

Do NOT craft legendaries unless you are planning to use them right away. Completing all 18 tasks will not give you enough coins to max your legendary characters so you will need all the extra coins you can possibly get, and needless to say, leg coins are quite rare. 500 is a huge waste, I still haven’t crafted the 4 remaining legs for that reason.

1 Like

Since Legendaries have the same droprate in Mercenaries as in normal packs, you’re waiting for 80ish packs before you’ll see the last 4. With free packs being limited to 3 per merc task line, that’s roughly 27 mercs you need to complete all 18 tasks for.

Doable? Sure, but unless you manage to farm tasks at a reasonable pace it’s going to take longer than farming the 4x500 coins you spent on crafting the individual Legendaries.

It’s okay. It will take months before Alexstrasza and Illidan become actually useful, and considering that they are both sitting on a thousand coins (which is about 1/3 of what they need to be maxed) after 2 weeks of tedious pre-nerf grind, over 50 opened packs, and almost 500 completed tasks, I will rather wait. But if you want a certain leggo, go ahead and craft it, I did it for Diablo and it was worth it, I would say.

They’re going to release 7 more Legendaries, so unless you’re a Godzilla (a whale is far too microscopic), you may as well just craft.

Every mercenary you open from a pack will have a significant head start on leveling them (since you don’t have to pay 500 of their coins). So it’s actually helpful to craft as many bad legendaries as you can before opening packs, since duplicate protection then makes it more likely you’ll open a useful legendary.

This is off-topic, mostly, but I must share this with someone… I just pulled the Lich King from a Mercenaries pack! Hurray! I would have been wlling to bet that I’d never get the ol’ King, but, luck has been on my side lately!