Rise of Shadows Q&A - April 22, 2019

What’s the benefit to creating a keyword, but then never releasing cards with that keyword once that standard year ends? We sometimes see the same concept on a card, but it is written out in long form. What is going to happen when a keyword’s long form is completely unwieldy, but very desirable yet can no longer be used?

12 Likes

Some deck thematics don’t always work out such as freeze shaman which really only got support from one set, whereas something like discard warlock has had support multiple times yet initially wasn’t very viable. Why does one theme continue being supported while another is waylaid even to the point of not existing in wild?

2 Likes

Are treants ever going to become a tribe?

9 Likes

I really love this meta and love how this expansion has turned out.

My question is would it be possible to see more frequent Alternate Hero Skins ? They really would improve the QoL of Hearthstone.

2 Likes

Freeze Shaman was probably decided to be a very un-fun archetype if it ever saw competitive play. The entire idea is to deny your opponent’s access to their own cards, over and over again. Discolock is a self-detriment, and the amount of design space for Discard is much more than Freeze effects. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Oh sure. I’m just curious about why they print such small slivers of an archetype and then never support it again; like totem shaman has so few cards to build around it and thus when it got cards for it they basically are just giving a class 10% or so fewer cards to make decks with for a rotation. It’s strange that both those archetypes, freeze and totem, were green lit without being strong enough or even really having new cards to ever warrant putting them in decks. No follow up expansions addressed holes in them ever so you just get a less versatile class until rotation.

3 Likes

What content can wild players expect?

Will wild players be able to buy packs for gold?

Can we expect cards that literally died from nerfs be un-nerfed for wild? Ancient of Lore, Abusive Sargent, Raza the Chained as example.

Be honest, do you guys play wild an if so, what decks do you enjoy?

Why does some wild cards like Barnes recieve special treatment when you have MASSIVE amounts of feedback regarding his highroll nature in the deck called Big Priest.

Will Wild mode ever have a banning system?

Can you name cards you worry might be a problem for wild mode in the future? Example Kingsbane.

Why do you think people avoid wild mode?

Do you think wild mode could use some love because it has a very low active playerbase?

If you had to name a deck for every class you like to play in wild, whatre they?

Can we see the return of the “if your deck has no duplicates get X effect again” like Reno Jackson in wild mode.

Wild mode is very important to me because its the eternal format. Playing standard right now litterally feels like a water down version of the game. I would like nothing more than to understand that you guys who have the power to bring change to wild share what you want from the format.

P.S. please destroy Barnes an make Razakus Priest the top priest deck. Its way easier to use the new disruption tools agaisnt a deck like Razakus than to even dare try stuff like Hecklebot agaisnt that awful highroll deck giving them cheap rezzes. Or honestly make the 2 mana ressurect spell on work on a minion that died THAT turn. So you trade Lich King basically an then pay 2 to rez him. Waaaay more fair guys.

-Just for fun- Whats your thoughts on this legendary Warlock spell I made up. I just wanna know if you think it could be a real thing in the game.

Vision Disruptor
1 mana Legendary Spell

Revel your opponents hand an select a card to discard. You lose life equal to its mana cost.

So its basically disruption. You could remove Mecha’thun but would lose 10 life for it. Kinda risk vs reword for Warlocks.

13 Likes

Tyrande, when? It’s been taking you too long, Blizz.

7 Likes

How did the theme of ROS came about and what are the designer’s insights to the ROS expansion?
What are the design philosophy behind the designs?

How does ROS fit into the Year of the Dragon?

What were the challenges you face with the new year and the introduction of ROS?

What does your team wish to achieve for the Year of the Dragon? (for the dev team / for the player base)

2 Likes

Harbinger Celestia buff or reworking her ability?

2 Likes

Can Yogg Saron get be unnerfed ?

7 Likes

The art direction for this expansion seems all over the place. Madame Lazul is probably the worst offender. She appears in several places and she looks different and inconsistent in every single one of them. On one image she has the tattoos, on others she doesn’t. Sometimes her skin is blue, sometimes it’s purple and so on. Another example is Dr. Boom’s Scheme. The artwork depicts Dr. Boom placing down a bunch of bombs, yet the effect gives you Armor. And how is that Dr. Boom’s scheme anyway? Why is he waiting to get Armor? I feel like Dr. Boom’s Scheme effect got changed during development, but you didn’t have the time to change the artwork to something more appropriate.

Right so, what was going on there? Were artists given more freedom than usual this time around? Were things rushed? Were artworks haphazardly checked and approved?

13 Likes

Two questions, again:

1. Will there be Wild Arena format? We can play Casual/Ranked in either format, so let us play either formats in Arena. With that in mind, in Wild Arena, all cards should have an equal chance to appear.

2. Divide the shop into two formats: Standard and Wild. Let us have an option to purchase expansions/adventures with in-game gold and currency within the game, not via Blizzard shop.

7 Likes

Whizbang the Wonderful has paved the way for new players in constructed and so I would like to ask about your plans for the card. Will he get thrown into Wild? Will he get a spot in the Classic set? What will become of Whizbang after his supposed rotation time comes?

26 Likes

How come none of the Treants/Ancients aren’t it own type it’ll allow treant be more synergetic and allow more freedom to be it own type of Deck?

For Example a good Treant Deck would be with the new heal Druid combo you wish to push as it would pushed the deck to have treants stuff along with Lucentbark and Dendrologist be a good combo, along with any future plans with Treant stuff you wish to push and would allow Ancient of Lore/war/etc be play as a Tree deck and give the cards flexibility to be outside of a token deck, much like how firetree witchdoctor see herself in nearly all dragon decks.

Was this even a thought when making more tree druid stuff but with the lack of the Forest working together and being a mesh of other things?

2 Likes

Dear developers, bring back Jaina boobs

32 Likes

Is there any chance to have Therazane implemented in the game?
This is the only elemental lord missing :frowning:

3 Likes

Dear developers, i have several questions to you and will be happy if you answer even a couple of them, if not all.
First part is about Standart.

1. Why Shudderwock doesn’t play battlecry of drustvars?
  2. League of Evil returned some old mechanics. Will next expansions that year comtinue that tradition? I found it very intriguing, because new players can explore old mechanics not jumping into wild.
  3. If you take, you give. What can be given to Druid as a solo-removal instead of Naturalise?

Now my favourite part: Wild.
I’ve watched ALL your videos where you spoke about wild and more than once you said that you want to make wild a fun place, where a lot of types of decks can exist. A lot of people recommend you to nerf Barnes, Darkest hour or something - and what about taking nerf back? Yes, some guys before me already suggested that, but I made a list of things that can be unnerfed and with explanation why it is good.

1. Raza
    It is the ONLY card that can make a worthy opponent against big priest. Also it makes RenoPriest deck more various: Tempo (with low-cost spells and cards) and Control (as exists now)
  2. Yogg
    On one of your interviews you explained, that you do not want to unnerf yogg because of it’s high impact on game. But there are three things that yoy could’ve missed: 1) Yogg demands to build a deck around him 2) With cards like myra’s element and cataclysm it became very dangerous for the player - now it can not only hit you with fireball, but also leave you without resources 3) Hope’s End - Yogg is always used as a Last Hope card and it is totally not fun to get him hexed, stopping casts, from the beginning.
    So that is why I consider unnerf of Yogg as an obviously needed thing.
  3. ready… PATCHES
    I want to explain.
    I HATE AGGRO.
    I played in time when he was not nerfed and it was SO BAD.
    But.
    It allows wild gamers not only pick him as a possible +1+1 to a pirate, but as a tool, as a legendary card should be, but also as a combo-tool (as rogue or warrior can do). In the terms of power it will not be crashing.
  4. Chain Gang
    God, please. It is important.
  5. CHO
    Really, a lot of people do not even know that he was nerfed. If you unnerf him now, he finally becomes a bit more playable as in wild, so in standart.
  6. (most importantly) please, unnerf and MOVE TO HALL OF FAME warsong commander and Charge! (warrior’s spell now for 1 mana). Now, when there are such archetypes as token druid and darkest hour lock EVERYONE! GET IN HERE! seems as panacea. Please. One of my friends created that deck in the beginning of hearthstone with golden cards and WEEK after you nerfed them and then he deleted the game and killed himself a week after because he had to take credit for that. That’s not your fault, but seriously. Sergei, you will be remembered.
  7. leper gnome
    Just want to make some 9-7 legendaries playable
  8. ancient of lore
  9. (possibly) sylvanas and plague - in wild their previous costs are just ok
  10. I KNOW YOU WILL NOT BUT I BELIEVE
    Shudderwock. Blizz please. Favourite card. Unnerfing it gives a great opportunity to make cool combos as legendary tht gives random weapons both heroes, than ooze 3-3 and a lot of weapon buffs - weapon shudderwock shaman, huh?

Also there are two suggestions you may not think are good, but please, think about them.

C’THUN TO CLASSIC with all of his servants
It is not OP even in standart with all rat-based cards you have added and that may allow you to make mor servants to him one day.
Shudderwock, Benedictus, Varian and some other BIG legendaries with unique mechanics to non-class: just imagine what combos could be made? Extremely fun!

Thank you for your answers!

In memory of Sergei, appreciate, if you guys make it go to the top

Thank you blizz for the amazing game you created!

7 Likes

I personally found boring to mouse over Jan’alai the Dragonhawk every time to check how many heropower hits I´m missing. Wouldn´t be good to add a little indicator above the card that would show the process of completing? Even maybe for another cards with the similar effects? (Just asking if that couldn´t be good and yes, I know that card will glow yellow when her ability is activated.)

3 Likes

Hello, could you give us some insight: why Solo Adventure delay is so long? I know, you want enjoy us with pvp first, but before it was just 2 weeks. It’s ok, but for now, you said, it will be in may, no exactly when, but if we talk about first week of may, it’s still 3+ weeks. World Championship or what?

2 Likes