Rigged match making system

Remembering the hits and forgetting the misses.

Surprisingly, no one of this particular persuasion seems to properly record their data. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I am constantly surprised by the pervasiveness of confirmation bias.

And for that matter, how little regarded occam’s razor is in the face of confirmation bias.

What invisible elves pull the strings, OP? And why? What do these invisible elves gain by making such a convoluted systen?

The much easier solution would be to just match you randomly against someone your MMR. Hmmm…

8 Likes

The thinking is usually that MM puts decks versus their counter (how is this possible (every deck facing their counter)) in an attempt to influence players to make purchases in trying to perform better. I think.

2 Likes

The system waits for a counter, but only after you’ve won too many times being randomly matched. The OP mentions waiting 5 mins or longer for a match, indicating an unsatisfied algorithm, waiting for the counter deck to queue up.

1 Like

He also can’t spell “brain cells” in another thread.

Reading through other posts recently, I take his assertions and recollections with a large pinch of salt.

I would love to know more about this. Wonder if you could analyze this data from HSReplay.

And now we can go back to the other thread about data and assumptions, lol.

4 Likes

Yes, everyone please stop posting here and refer to this topic if you’d like to further discuss this topic. This a way the discussion isn’t broken up.

It wasn’t a counter deck though. The counter deck could just as well have been the face hunter which the OP does not know is actually an unfavorable matchup.

3 Likes

The theory also works in reverse.

If I don’t want to play vs heavy secret using classes I switch out a card for a secret killer. If I don’t want to play Jade Druid I swap a Geist in. There will inevitably come a time when I wish to trade these cards for something more useful, and you guessed it, the moment I do the VERY next match up will be secret mage / Jade Druid.

I wish I was joking.

2 Likes

Then He is probably wrong.
I haven’t ever bothered taking notes on this game.
But; I do have one peculiar observation. All of you know that I only recently hit Legend for the first time a few months ago.
Today I hit Legend for the fourth consecutive time. I have never been at Rank 1 full stars and not faced bomb warrior. Every month, every final match, has been Bomb warrior vs. Aluneth mage. Is it winnable? Sure. Is it likely? Erm…
So; draw your own conclusions. I don’t believe this game purposely cheats anyone, but I do think there is something peculiar about the matching…

2 Likes

Until data is posted in a reviewable manner for all to see, conjecture remains conjecture. Note I am not being dismissive but that’s the truth. Don’t expect people to take your word for it. :smiling_face:

Also in response:

1 Like

Why would it be unlikely? If Bomb Warrior is particularly popular, then the odds of facing it would be pretty high regardless of how good or bad of a matchup it is for your deck. And since you claim not to have written anything down, how would you know how often you ran into Bomb Warriors in your D5-Legend climb?

I was at D1 full stars twice this season. First matchup was against aggro DH, which I lost, and second matchup was against Face Hunter, which I won. Neither deck is particularly unusual, and I faced both plenty of times on my climb there. You’re basically describing an amusing coincidence, but it doesn’t really prove anything unless you’ve already committed yourself to this “rigged” narrative.

But if you’re already committed, then any pattern can be justified as confirmation of the narrative.

7 Likes

I think you misunderstood what I intended to convey.
What I was speaking about is: Is Aluneth mage vs. Bomb warrior winnable?
It is, but it is very likely you will lose. That’s what I was trying to say. Sorry for any confusion:)
And; again, I don’t think Blizzard purposely cheats anyone, but I do think there is more to the matching than they admit. I mean four consecutive months, and I face bomb warrior each time for the final match? How likely is that? The odds have to be pretty steep.

1 Like

Bomb warrior is not an uncommon deck, and there are hundreds of thousands of games played every single day.

How many times has your impression led you astray, when it comes to matchups and win rates? How are you making the judgement that it is not that likely you will win? Are you looking at global data or just how it feels?

2 Likes

I’m not sure I fully understand what you intend here.

If you mean something nefarious, I am not sure.

If you mean the system is more sophisticated than the information we have, I agree.

They have given us general criteria of how it works, but not any specifics. In particular we know nothing about the mechanics of how the match making system attempts to influence win rates.

2 Likes

Something along these lines, yes. I think it’s likely that they withhold information about matching because disillusioned players would latch onto one item and declare the whole system rigged.

1 Like

If the game is waiting for the counter to queue up, then for the counter deck that player gets a free win. So it is weird. If it is what you are saying then the game let someone win by gave him an easy opponent. OR the game do this every time so it is always 50% win. So you only win (more progress) when you having more cards. You know how you can obtain cards. So if you buy more cards with money you lose more games. The game see that you spend money to get better. And let you lose to even spend more money. So I ruined my own game pleasure by buying packs a few times.
I left the game. But when I just started the game I had fun. I had nice loot from packs. Later I bought welcomes pack and Arianne bundel. My rng got worse both packs and opponents and now I don’t play anymore.

You do realize rank doesn’t matter, right? You get ex legend players in bronze. Do you think these guys are worse than current legend players? No, they just don’t grind anymore. HS is 90% of the time played on auto pilot. You barely get to make any original decision, due to the pace of the game. It’s like the first 10 moves in chess.
I’m playing a fairly unpopular spell mage (only spells with tons of card generation). I am heavily favored against face DH and face hunter, yet I rarely play against them, which is “not wierd at all”, when they are the two most played decks in the game. Waiting for 5 minutes for a game in plat, only to get matched against value warlock is insanity.

1 Like

If that were true, your rank should not be consistent. Pro and consistent legend players would not exist. Such a statement is demonstrably absurd.

Go google any third party data aggregation site like vicious syndicate, and show me where aggregate data shows ANY mage deck being favored against face hunter lol. I can’t post links but I already checked — I analyze available information to make reasonable opinions.

So no, it is not a favored matchup. You may simply be outplaying your opponents, but that does not make it a favored matchup. Are you recording your performance with a deck tracker add on? Probably not I assume or you would have more knowledge of matchups.

I don’t even know what kind of deck that could be since no reasonable deck like that exists in enough popularity to track, but the premise you are being cheated here is completely false.

Your mage deck is most likely not favored against the decks you claim are being hidden from you (source, thousands of games :sunglasses:) so I would not be so sure of myself if I were you and stick with the more reasonable assumption that blizzard is not personally out to get you given the premise of your claim is not likely correct in the first place.

1 Like

fingrknitter… please stop being reasonable and informed. It’s getting old. :wink:

It is, I get dimond constatly for the past few months, just from grinding quests for the tavern passes, which are a complete scam, but that’s another topic. I don’t push for higher, because I don’t like ranked, but from time to time I find a cool deck, like the spell only mage, that interests me.

Anything else you said is just complete repetition of your past posts, so no point in addressing it. You are wrong about which matches I’m favored against, as you don’t know the deck in the first place, since very few are playing it, or the variatons of it overall.

1 Like