Reading card text in matches

If I play a card, you should not be able to read what it does, you should either know it or find out.

In table top card games you never let someone read the card you played, mgt, yugioh, etc.

Cards like summon a 1/1 when your opponent play a card, if you can’t read it you’d play into it, yet everyone reads it so it’s a dead mechanic.

Say what?!? I’ve never played a table top game where you couldn’t read the cards on the table, and for formal play I’m pretty sure the rules for say Magic tournaments explicitly allow it.

And in your example, summoning a 1/1 when your opponent plays a card, the point is not that it is a surprise trap (we have “secrets” for that), the point is your opponent needs to play their cards and having this disincentive is now at minimum a speed bump to them. It is not a dead mechanic, it is interfering with the cost/benefit of them playing that next card.

12 Likes

In real tournaments they need consent to handle and view your cards and you can deny it.

MTG Comprehensive Rules
400.2 Public zones are zones in which all players can see the cards’ faces, except for those cards that some rule or effect specifically allow to be face down.

If you are playing with someone who is trying to prevent you from seeing the cards in play, show them this rule.

As to the Hearthstone rule, well as obvious from the game client, the game client lets you read your opponent’s cards in play so it’s pretty clear what the Hearthstone rules are.

6 Likes

Yes. Hearthstone would be a better game if one had to alt tab and google each card in each game… (sarcasm)

7 Likes

Why’d you need alt tabbing? Do you not have 3 screens?

That’s illogical. What if you don’t know the card or forgotten what it does? Suppose their card prohibits you from making a play but you go to make it. They’re not going to let you get away with it. Then you would ask ‘why?’ then they would say because this card does x and y, but not z.

If a player read the card, then there would be no problems.

Also, how come all digital card games let you hover over card text? Maybe because it’s allowed and you’re just flat out wrong and it’s only an opinion by you…a silly one at that lol.

2 Likes

I dont need or want 3 screens.

Sounds like a move that would dump on new players and create tons of bad play experiences. Definitely a good thing that the game lets you read your opponent’s cards.

3 Likes

whats the point of having three screens? Especially those weird vertical ones.

Multi tasking
And also real time info look up while playing some games. Having unit/item list for TFT, for example, is very helpful, until you’ve committed everything to heart.

And for some things, while one screen is “stuck” doing something (like queuing in a game or just waiting in a game for whatever) you can read a book or watch a video.

Mind, some of those can be done on one screen by tabbing, but multi screen makes life easier.

The vertical ones(I assume you mean the purpose build very tall&narrow ones, and not just a normal monitor rotated 90 degrees) are mostly for programmers. Specifically, it allows you to see more of the log/message when you try to compile/run programs. I’m sure there are other applications but that’s the most common. On that note, programmers would generally use two screen, one where you code, one where you run the code.
and if you got a 3rd, use the 3rd to search for stuff in the code base or whatever.

The thing is, most of your “important” task, include games, will be on the center monitor. So unless you are into surround gaming or something, you can just pick up some el cheapo ones for your secondary, so it’s not actually costly or anything to have a multi screen setup. The biggest hurdle is actually desk real estate, might need to invest in a multi monitor stand.

This would make new players not even able to play the game. How are they supposed to know what the ‘yellow bubble’ or ‘grey shield’ are? Or what the card text is.

It would be an interesting one-of Tavern Brawl.

What even is this thread? Lmao

1 Like

you never let people read your cards in MTG? wtf that would really hard to learn new cards. and when a new set comes either learn the entire set or just believe your oppenate never miss reads miss understand or down right lies.

Poor Kaiba didn’t know Exodia existed. That’s what he gets for killing off people. Don’t worry. We can introduce super expert rules and ban Exodia :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually forget super expert rules. Ripping up opponents cards is better

dO yOu NoT hAvE 3 sCrEeNs?