Rant: Why do 90% of players use the same deck?

First of all, I know this is just a rant and I’ll let it go after I get this out.

This game is so far from where it used to be.
I just want to play interesting games. But I keep facing the same decks over and over and over again. Almost everyone lost a sense of creativity. Think for yourselves, friends! Don’t just play the same deck everyone else has – it’s BORING. There is little to no skill involved.

On the flip side - thanks to those of you who do take chances, come up with interesting deck combinations, try new things… you’re the people I want to play against.

And yes, I get it, lots of people play to level up and want to be competitive and therefore play the strongest decks over and over. So be it.

Sigh. There used to be so much more variation from game to game.

end rant.
I’ll just go back to playing now and quitting matches as soon as I realize how predictable your game is.

9 Likes

Come I will whisper it to your ear:

People like winning Winning is fun

4 Likes

play casual and save yourself time

4 Likes

Because standard is a disguised P2W money pit where only buying powerful and limited decks will get you Victory, wild is very much traditional hearthstone and has some amazing variety. I hate standard and literally play it for quests and nothing more

1 Like

Because that is how 90-95% of people “play” hearthstone:

1. Wait until the top players more or less figure out the top deck(s)
  2. spend money and/or dust to create said deck(s).
3 Likes

I stopped playing deck and league play a long time ago. See above comments as to why

When knew sets come out or new card previews. Everyone watches their favorite pro streamer channel for “prospects”. Then when a new set comes out - someone might have the uberest of uber deck ready and rips through the field who cant adapt to the new cheat. And gets to legend in 2 days. Then people foolishly dust everything and copy that deck only to discover a few weeks later theres and even BETTER cheat! And then those with cash buy that one as well.

For the casual player however, its just face stomp time once you hit the paywall on the ladder. This is how game makers make their money. People will pay to win. They dont want to grind to months to years to earn the in game slow rewards to finally be able win. They just pay,

Then of course you will have those who say no, skill wins it! Or, I started a new account and made Legend in a month! If you time and know exactly how to dust and when to swap decks at rank 5 and up.

Because you see, if you play the game long enough, you will notice a “pattern” to every deck. You know what your opponent probably has or is going to do. Do you have the counter card for when it does? Do you have the winning card that cant be countered? Do you have a second win condition card? Can that be countered? It will all “pattern” out game after game after game after game. IF you have the uberest of uber cards.

1 Like

Because players like to win?

Thats a lie… I have every card since the naming of the rotation years and the last 2 rotation of cards are golden, and cannot get past silver rank in standard, and gold in wild… So p2w my donkey

Why is it that 90% of people are always using the same phones?

It’s almost as if everyone lost their sense of creativity. I remember when people were more fun and tried new phones.

I get it, people want the most competitive phones. I guess that’s OK, when I am calling people it’s just going to be boring when their phones don’t have that horrible static noise, or random disconnects.

Because there is no deck building in HS ,people just copy decks because the only thing they want is winning not having fun.Also HS is a bad game in terms of card game in general,theres no fun in HS

1 Like

The internet. Youtube, Twitch, decklist webistes, etc.

I feel like people want to play new decks more then you think but they cant. The game hasnt really powercrept too bad for almost a decade but it has become hyper theme based what I mean is go back to the older expansions you’ll see some pack filler, some random cards that don’t make sense and like 1 or two cards that should power up or create new archetypes now days they try and force archetypes instead of like 10 cards that could go into a lot of different decks they make like 2 or 3 deck themes and make all cards go into that package. For instance shaman got pretty much all elemental and freeze stuff this set whereas in previous years they may have gotten some burn cards some freeze cards a taunt card maybe two or 3 cards for a new archetype.

I try to not play the same decks, I very much enjoy making my own. But if I loose many games in a row I will bring out my “meme decks” that’s what I call them. Cause they are boring and lame but they win. Sigh.

Think of it this way: if 90% of players are playing the same decks, it’s because those decks have the highest win percentage. That’s not a player problem, that’s a game design problem: if Blizzard can’t balance the game in such a way that people can be competitive with a variety of different decks and archetypes, that’s on the design team. This has been a problem for years: Blizzard has consistently failed to balance the game, and so certain archetypes dominate until the following expansion breaks the game in a different way. A healthy meta would include a mix of aggro, midrange, and control decks, and all would be competitive against each other. That’s not the case anymore, and hasn’t been for a very long time. Until Blizzard can figure out how to balance the game, the situation will continue as is. Blaming the players is counterproductive.

3 Likes

entirely too much effort for a “why don’t people have fun the exact same way i do” post

This is probably one of the MOST important issue developers need to address, and aggressively!

Im so tired of playing against the same cannonized deck concepts over and over and over. Although its fun trying to imagine ways to counter those decks, they are so mechanically good that any decent counter i creat will get destroyed by the other top copied decks.

I thought of a solution where there could be a game mode for ppl like us- Once a deck concept meets certain criteria it becomes cannonized and banned from the mode.

It can be implemented and improved slowly. The only people who would complain are people who copy top decks. But they don’t have to play this mode.

Now I wrote this reply before I read any following comments, Because I wanted to speak my mind instead of copy everybody else’s thoughts, lol!

Yes let me know when you get a solution to it because I’m getting bored of the game big time! I love playing new Decks that I make and messing around with fun crazy different mechanics. And I don’t even mind losing a bunch. But I can’t stand is losing a bunch to the same Deck over and over and over…

Every tempo storm meta report i out the decks in a bracket and play it out and play the winning deck until the next one comes out. My own way of keeping the game fresh and playing multiple decks

There has never been, nor will there ever be, any deck with 90% (or higher) playrate in this or any other ccg.

interesting correlation you drew there Pepega