Please stop with the tedious achievements

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I like doing achievements. But an achievement, imo, should be challenging. You have to build a deck to achieve a specific scenario. It should be difficult and I’m OK with it if it requires a bit of luck.
But the unimaginative “play this x times” is so tedious. It’s not a challenge. I don’t feel like I achieved anything by completing it, apart from wasting time that I could have used to enjoy the game.
I know, I know. I don’t have to do it if I don’t like it. But the mini set’s achievements feels like they did not put any thought into it.

1 Like

I’m kind of with you on this. A lot of them are VERY grindy. I’d put off achievement hunting until after the miniset came out, and just built my first achievement-oriented deck yesterday. It’s admittedly not very focused, but it’s got cards that potentially work toward 13 different achievements, all of them the grindy type (soloists, remixes, dissonant, etc.). 15 games in, I haven’t even hit 10% on any of those counters, meaning I’m going to have to play probably close to 200 games with cards I wouldn’t normally use to get most of these.

The more frustrating ones are something like the Plaigarizarr, where I not only need to draw and play that card, but then I have to be able to use the card generated, which isn’t always the case. I can go multiple games without making any progress here.

Not to be too negative: some of the better achievements I am enjoying. Needing to pull 16 different tricks out of E.T.C’s magic hat because he fits in lots of decks, and there’s plenty of tech cards to choose from without going too far out of your way.

One of my favorites so far was the Freebird achievement (destroy the opponent with Freebird). You could get that one totally by accident by discovering one at the right time, or you can build a tuned deck and with a bit of luck pull it off in a few-to-10 tries, probably. (“Destroy the opponent” is a little risky, because they might concede and rob you of the achievement, or it might encourage some jerky gameplay on your part if you’ve got lethal on board but need to play extra cards to get the point. I got lucky with a matchup against a bot and didn’t feel bad fiddling around a bit.) But still, it was 100 times more fun than “refresh 100 mana with funnel cake” is going to be.

Not only are they tedious, but several of them are more dependent on the opponent than you. For instance, good luck finding an opponent who ends turn with a lethal hot potato in hand instead of conceding. You’re more likely to find a $100 bill on the street.

1 Like

The ETC one will be difficult, but I prefer something like that more that the grindy ones.
But yeah, it would require some luck.

I am actually someone that, if I realize my opponent is trying to do an achievement, I would try to help. Obviously I would still try to win, but I would try to help if I can’t win.
This is also one reason why I never concede.

1 Like