Patchwerk; Please Stop

I am going to ask again.

PLEASE stop designing cards that screw with your deck / hand. Your games does not have the depth and complexity for this mechanic. It really doesn’t.

Your game basically forces you to design your deck around 2-3 cards and already has enough RnG factors, please stop adding this additional toxic layer.

7 Likes

love these mechanics

6 Likes

No, it forces you not to do that. If you build around 1 card and that 1 card gets sniped, you didn’t lose to your opponent or their card, you lost to your own deckbuilding (or netdecking, which is still ultimately your own fault for copying a bad build).

6 Likes

The games relative simplicity is why the game needs hand or deck disruption mechanics. Because the game doesn’t have interrupt mechanics like MtG, hand and deck disruption is necessary to counter combo decks.

5 Likes

tell me you’re a DK player without telling me you’re a DK player.

Or, and hear me out, they design a game that doesn’t need such mechanics.

1 Like

Even if you copy whatever you call a “good” deck, a single card should not be able to mess up how the deck plays, without you even being able to avoid it.

why?? you state this as if it is axiomatic, without any reasoning to back your claim.

EVERY card in your opponent’s deck is there to beat your deck. this card/mechanic is doing the same as any other strategy. (i.e. it’s winning) also contrary to your claim it isn’t unavoidable, but it was easier to counter when theo was 4. but everyone hates that disruption tends to be the counter to disruption.

These two are true, in a vacuum.

The problem I have with this reasoning is that these kinds of cards like Patchwerk are not just disrupting combo. It just simply removes cards from one persons deck and hand. They have no say in the matter, they can’t do anything about it, there is no counterplay, poof that player lost the ability to play those cards for no real reason. Even if it just hits some solid minions not even combo pieces, its just completely unfair to that player and causes nothing but frustration. There have been far more balanced cards in the past that created disruption, it isn’t impossible.

1 Like

Patchwerk wouldn’t be an issue in other control decks. Blood DK can wait until Turn 7 and sit pretty at 55-75 life, slowly whittling away their opponent’s resources, to drop a card that removes even more resources. Patchwerk is fine imo, but Blood DK is overtuned rn.

Patchwerk is busted. And yes, DK is extremely overtuned.

Tell me a DK hurt you without telling me a DK hurt you

I can do that too :+1:

This is the best way to explain BDK. Nothing was adjusted with the cards for a class not losing anything after rotation, cards which were tuned to deal with the fact they were coming in later in the year. These cards enable Patchwerk. So, yes, Patchwerk isn’t the issue. This game doesn’t have a lot of disruption.

1 Like

The claim itself backs it up. You need to prove one card should be able to counter a deck, not vice-versa. You think that, because you use a big word people will bow down to you?

No, there is literally NO logical reason for one or two cards to counter an entire deck. Blizzard does not have the complexity or depth to have this in their game.

I have been asking for a +1 to all DK cards since launch. Wildly overtuned.

2 Likes

So basically, the only counter to combo should be going face fast enough and hard enough to go under them before they draw combo. Do I understand you correctly?

Dear Blizzard,

Control is OP. Please nerf control. Combo is fine.

Sincerely,
An Aggro Player

2 Likes

emphatically, no. :smiley:
actually i used that description because his original statement was not obvious. i’ve played many games where one card/effect/mechanic does wreck an entire strategy/archetype. it seems to be common, and acceptable among most game creators. i’ve even played games that were built entirely around the concept of a 1 card/move/turn being unstoppable. he said…

this isn’t an obviously true statement, i wanted him to further elaborate his point, and i made an argument why i disagreed. that the play was unavoidable. if it appeared i was trying to dunk on him with my vocabulary, then i’m sorry. that wasn’t my intent.

1 Like

Trust me…the game needs hard hitting disruption cards. However tedious DK’s are, you don’t want a game with Tony Druids and Undead locks running rampant.

2 Likes

Today II was playing my usual weasel priest deck in wild. I had filled my opponents deck with weasel tunnelers and birds from bad luck albatross’ deathrattle. And I mean really filled their deck, they had 56 cards in their deck and I was approaching fatigue.

They were playing a Reno deck and had got Jaraxus off Zephrys so I had constantly has to deal with the 6/6s generated by their hero power every turn and I was out of removal.

I was very low on health so I dropped Amara to heal to full so I could have the breathing room to drop Benedictus next turn. But after I played Amara, they dropped Steamcleaner of all cards, destroying all the cards that didn’t start in their deck.

My entire game plan was to stuff their deck, steal it with Benedictus, then play the Golden Monkey and turn all those stolen cards into legendaries.

Steamcleaner was one single card that countered my entire game plan.

Should I cry to the forum about how Steamcleaner is OP, toxic, and needs to be nerfed? Or should I just be a reasonable person and accept that counter plays exist and move on?

4 Likes

Leo, I mean, Phen, Patchwork is annoying but it’s not as bad as you are making it out to be. It gets confusing since both those accounts are yours.

2 Likes

People tend to over-evaluate cards they feel like they lost to. The reason is because the imagery is so vivid and people’s brains tend to focus on examples like these in order to avoid them [think of cave person times, and how the image of a tiger or some such thing creates such a visceral response because they assign so much meaning to its presence in regards to survival].

So this is why people overly fixate on a card just because they lost a game to it when in reality, a dozen other variables were also at play. Look, I hate losing too, but move on and play another match. It’s just a game.

Ok so disruption a core part of ccgs is toxic lmao!!?