Patch 22.0 Card Effect Priority Update

this should be a sticky

it may prevent some bug reports …

2 Likes

I’m hoping this wasn’t just a post and ghost from blue.

but on the forum bug reports
i visit the forum often … it needs it

Auras that give +1 +1 were also changed? Some pirates were reduced to 1 health despite having a Captain on board. Was Stormwind Champion also changed?

What you’re describing is actually a bug, unfortunately. Or fortunately, depending on how you look at it. The team is aware and working on it.

5 Likes

Does this mean Librams will cost (0) after Celestial Alignment? (Assuming some discounts were already in effect prior to Celestial Alignment)

This change might have affected Mercenaries as well, as, for example, before the patch when Mutanus had the treasure Monstrous Heart and used Scaly Taunt Mutanus would not take any damage, but after the patch Monstrous Heart seems to be taking priority over Scaly Taunt and so Mutanus takes one damage per hit regardless of using Scaly Taunt or not.

1 Like

So to help others understand, the order of priority is:

1. Me
  2. Everything at this moment
  3. Everything Just This Once

So cards that reference themselves are #1
Cards that reference an active group are #2
And cards that have a 1 time immediate effect are #3

So for the question about Librams:

Libram discounts are not #1 discounts and they are not #2 discounts. They are #3 discounts
Celestial Alignment is also a #3 discount. So whichever is played last takes over the one before. Thus, Celestial Alignment will make your Librams cost (1). You must play another discount to make it (0).

On the topic of stickies, GnomeSayin, any chance of un-stickying the “current arena rules” thread that is no longer current?

Thanks for the update on priority changes, especially when it makes the effects more consistent across the board.

3 Likes

Libram discounts are NOT one offs (category 3),they are constants (category 2).

That’s obvious because Wisdoms that you get back to your hand keep the discount.

Also, new librams generated have the discount despite not existing when the original discount was applied.

So it’s an effect that’s constantly applied rather than something that happened once.

So, now librams SHOULD drop to 0 when celestial is played.

Anything else, is a bug.

1 Like

If you are correct, then we could test that with this change.

If you’ve discounted your Librams by 5 making a Libram of Wisdom cost 0, then when you draw a Libram of Wisdom and an opponent has a Watch Post in play, your Libram should still cost 0 and not go up to 1 because Watch post is most definitely a 3 (single instance) and the claim that a Libram discount is a 2 would override that 3 and make the Libram maintain a 0 cost.

Agreed?

It’s much simpler:

Play Liadrin. If the cards generated are discounted, the discounts are an aura.

We already know that this is how it works.

So, by the new priorities both stuff like watch posts and celestial MUST get calculated as such (libram cost for celestial going down to 0, and if you have played 3+ discounts for libram of wisdom and drew it under watchpost it still costs 0)

If they do not, it’s a bug.

Category 3 discounts are like Cariel: her discounts don’t stick in the new copies of the cards. They are one and done.

Agreed?

1 Like

Yes, I agree. It does make sense now that the Librams aren’t #3, because I was counting #2’s as auras and I didn’t really count Libram discounts as Auras, but it does make sense they should be.

If Watch Post makes it cost 1, I agree it’s a bug.

Oh, that might’ve been fixed then. Ty!

At least the celestial interaction was fixed. Used to be that librams were set to 1 before the patch. Now it correctly sets them to 0.

Didnt have the opportunity to play against watch towers, but I assume that if the celestial interaction works, then there’s no reason watchpost doesn’t.

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, “X effect takes priority over Y effect” technically mean “Y effect is applied before X effect”.

I also think these parts are incorrectly described:

• Cards referencing their own properties (e.g. Eye Beam)
  • cards referencing other cards’ properties in a single instance (e.g. Freezing Trap)

They should be described as:

• Cards referencing their own properties continuously
  • cards referencing other cards’ properties in a single instance

For example, we expect Bonechewer Brawler’s effect to have the same priority as Wave of Apathy, Since both are single instance effects, despite the fact that Bonechewer’s effect is self referencing. (If Bonechewer gets damaged and afterwards gets affected by Wave of Apathy we expect it to have 1 attack not 3 while the effect lasts)

So to summarize, effect priority can be described backwards by order of application as follows:

1. apply “single instance” effects
  2. apply “continuous on others” effects
  3. apply “continuous on self” effects

This also leaves me wondering about Grommash Hellscream VS. Wave of Apathy. Grommash’s effect reads like a self reference continuous effect. If we follow the text and the described rules it would make a damaged Grommash affected by Wave of Apathy to have have 7 attack and not 1. But as an “enraged” ability it might be coded like a “single instance” that gets applied when the minion becomes damaged and is removed when the minion becomes undamaged.

Edit:
And how do cards like Cogmaster and Overconfident Orc interact with Wave of Apathy?

Edit 2:
I assume they keep their buffs just like a how the effects of Goru the Mightree and Lightborn Cariel still apply after a Wave of Apathy.

Can you please update the Herocards aswell? the card should resolve before the Battlecry happens, just like it does for summons. So you first get the armor, portrait and new hero Power…then the battlecry takes place.
It´s a really big issue with the current mage hero interacting with wildfire, but it´s also just a massive problem with clarity in general if this stays as counter intuitive.

there also some wierd interaction with the hunter quest, if you play the new hero at the right time the new hero power will still end up costing 0 mana.

that should be working as intended, as when you don´t finish quest step 2 before playing the hero you´ll reduce his hero power to zero (and if you finish it and then play him he overwrites the reduction and you go back to 3mana), that´s absolutely coherent.