Paladin really is mega busted

Just built an excavate handbuff Paladin. There’s NO CHANCE this doesn’t get nerfed. Zero. It absolutely will.

It has practically everything you could ever ask for.

Hand buffs
Divine Shield
Taunt
Rush
Lifesteal
Windfury
Draw
Rez
Excavates
Charge
Mass enemy polymorph

The list goes on and on. There’s no way this stands as is.

I will say that it’s extremely fun to play so get it while it’s hot!
D5-D2 without a single loss so far

11 Likes

Decklist? So we can mass exploit to Legend Rank! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah i have played against the better versions of this now and it’s just dumb. The only thing worse is the Rogue deck that is actually bugged and gives your weapon unlimited buffs. You are only held back by card animations.

Once they fix that it will be all Paladins or Hunters with the broken 3 cost spell that gives you a board of 3/2 minions on turn 3 and the location activating to clear the way for them.

I truly cannot believe someone didn’t think players would just play a deck of buffed minions to chip away at you waiting for the time to drop Leeroy then give it WF. It boggles the mind.

1 Like

I must be building it wrong because when I play it I have no early game curve, no draw and I lose in turn 4-5 to any aggro deck.

Are we sure Paladin isn’t just stomping on bad decks, like it always does, and will slowly become kinda bad? Maybe my list is just bad but it seems kinda slow to me.

Lol basically the two minion stats they should really never allow in standard are charge and windfury. It’s well established by now if you want a non interactive meta, wf and charge are the way to do it best.

2 Likes

Its just busted because its easy to pump out low cost sticky DS minions and get them to 11/8 windfury divine shields on turn 4 or 5 , if you dont remove the paladins board every turn your dead , if you make one your own you get murloced or value traded with a DS Minion , yeah pala is pretty stupid rn,

also im not sure if its the same deck but paladin played Mirage on 3 and proceeded to basically play the 4/6 taunt divine shield for like 5 turns every turn for like 2 or 3 mana

42 damage leeroy with windfury because shroomscavate is apparently an OK card. Fun and interactive.

Im used to having to kill EVERY damn 1/1 EVERY turn. But now HS has taken the next step, killing the paladin board doesnt matter either.

7 Likes

This happened to me yesterday and I just closed the app at that point. What am I even doing here if this is a possibility? 22 points of damage in one turn and I think it was like turn seven if I remember correctly

i’m positive, because I haven’t won a single game against that deck with my Sludgelock, which successfully brought me back from 4k to 1.5k with only defeats being against that pally

definitely not a noobstomping deck but an overall broken one.

So far I’ve only seen handlocks and wheel of death decks beat it, sometimes

I guess I might have been unlucky in those 4-5 games as they always had a weapon by turn 3, but only once did they also have a 3-drop that buffs all minions in hand +2/+2

So, even without a perfect draw, for me, it looks unbeatable

P.S. I suffered the Leeroy combo only once in those 5 games. The rest I simply lost to his overbuffed lifesteal + rush minions xD

1 Like

This exactly. At least before we could shake our heads about «dang I should’ve cleared that 1/1.»

But now they don’t even need the board. Leeroy was booted from Standard years ago for a reason. Charge scales with available buffs and so it doesn’t matter that Leeroy is 10 years old, it still gets new power creep buffs all the same.

5 Likes

That’s the oldest trick in the HS book. Leeroy is a classic card and has been used many times to burst people down, including but not limited to OTKs

Back in the day it wasn’t as easy to do OTKs or control the board forever. So most games you had to fight for board early and often (it was mockingly called curvestone for that reason - the simplest way to fight board is to curve out) and do chip damage to each other. Eventually one side gets low and their opponent finds burst to finish them. Note that classic Alex (who’s back) can also just set people to 15 as well, opening them up to all sorts of burst.

Paladins even used to have Blessed Champion, which on paper is the same as windfury (instead of 2 hits, it doubles the attack in one huge hit)

Back in the day there were less hand buffs, but back then everything else was weaker (less heals/armor, less board clears, less/worse draw). There were even more charge minions besides leeroy so you can whittle people down earlier, or you can land a charge burst without drawing leeroy. In wild there have been meme and even the occasional non-meme decks that use stonetusk boar in an OTK charge combo.

I really don’t understand why people freak out over pallies, or charge. Other classes get to do Sif OTKs or HL warrior brann shenanigans or rogues doing omega combos or druids cheating mega mana or locks doing really disruptive things, and more especially when you consider wild.

This includes many other ways to win from hand besides “hit face with (buffed) charge minion”, and it includes OTKs where there’s no board for you to “remove every turn” (killing them first and disruption are basically your only answer… the the latter is not always reliable)

But somehow, if you combine the words “pally” and “charge” to form a win condition, people freak out.

5 Likes

It’s very annoying for sure. Throwback to when people thought this would be a low power expansion. xD

1 Like

Usually when an aggro deck like paladin is strong we can expect more control decks to arise.

So if more ppl play this then we can expect more control in the next coming weeks.

1 Like

Remember, this board’s default state will always be
“Paladin’s doing a combo to burst someone down at turn 8 onward = BAD!!!”
“Rogue/Mage/Hunter doing a combo to burst someone down at turn 8 onward = GOOD!”

3 Likes

Realistically, none of these things should be commonly seen in standard.

When this stuff becomes the normal way most games are won, the game gets incredibly stale.

4 Likes

Are you an aggro deck or a otk deck?

Paladin: Yes.

2 Likes

Such decks normally lose to aggro decks, so I would very much like that meta again (OTK/combo)

Unfortunately, no such things work against a class which has lifesteal with every card they play

Not a good combination. The only way to beat current pally is with a true OTK combo deck, as chipping it away little by little is doomed from the beginning

1 Like

If you think this then you haven’t been paying attention.

We hate(d) Sif, Odyn, and Faithful Companions, too.

3 Likes

You mean like what Rogue’s literally have right now? They can make 30+ attack weapons any time past like turn 6 lol.

I don’t know, I haven’t played the matchup on either side

But if I had to guess, I’d say Pally still beats that most of the time