Oh boy a new hero skin!

While they met their EPS in Q4, there has been substantial declines.

They are actually expected to not meet them for this quarter based on some of the analyses you can search.

I don’t think dropping $80 bundles would help that. It would have made sense if they had smaller bundles and also a portrait option for those not feeling spending that much.

It feels too all or nothing.

3 Likes

Yeah but why can’t the hero be a free bonus goodie with the pack bundle, and still be available in the shop separately for $10?

1 Like

Because it’s a sales trick, to make you rationalize that “the portrait is kinda free, because you still get the preorder deal,80 packs for $80, right?”

No. Not right. It doesn’t change the hard facts - if you want to have the portrait, you have to spend $80. It doesn’t matter whether anything else comes with the bundle, because it’s not what you wanted.

At its core, it’s the most basic sales trick - larger pack of snacks is relatively cheaper than small one, but if you buy it, you end up spending more on the snack than you really wanted to.

7 Likes

Agreed. You can easily spend 400$ a year now on HS which is a BIIIIG turn-off for some people (including myself).
I make enough money but I’d never pay 50 bucks for virtual cards on the spot (80 is just greedy). What I have bought are 2 of those 20€ packs they had in the past. Giving 20 is much more reasonable and I can defend that purchase before myself much better.

6 Likes

Though spending actual money on their products doesn’t guarantee that their revenue will be spent on game development, a sustained lack of profitability is a death knell…

Guys, the $80.00 gets you 80 packs, a card back, the hero skin, and a golden legendary. The $50.00 bundle gets you 50 packs, the card back, and a random golden card (not sure about that, and can’t be bothered to check rn). It’s a pretty good bargain.

At this point, it’s become pretty apparent that the expansion bundles are going to cost money. If you don’t want to pay, save your gold and get packs that way. Ask for a Blizzard gift card/voucher/whatever for your birthday or whatever Winter Solstice holiday you celebrate, or what have you. It is what it is. Accept it, and plan accordingly.

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t I buy it ? They are the ones running the company, and it’s a matter of public record. You don’t even know the difference between revenue and profit… Yet you are the ones people should listen to on matters of the company ? There is no other word other than entitilted for that.

Make your own product and give it away. I implore you.

1 Like

I didn’t feel bad when Mecha Jaraxxus was in the mega bundle.

IDK why…but, I do this time.

Sucks for people without 80 bucks.

1 Like

That’s not how it works…like…at all

It’s really not ;-/
If you just look at it from a value standpoint I totally get why they make a loss here. For 70 bucks you get a new videogame for the platform of your choosing. I like to imagine another ongoing game that asks me to pay 80 bucks 3 times a year … I’d already be out the door.

Yes, it’s totally doable without paying that, no one is arguing you on that. Just please don’t call it “affordable” because it really isn’t - especially for low-income housholds that “f2p-games” love to appeal to.

8 Likes

Or … maybe they should accept that players neither deserve nor are entitled to get everything they want … the way they feel is most convenient … for the price they emotionally prefer/demand.

Would it be nice if Blizzard put hero the optional hero portraits in the store for a lower price point? Sure. I like options as much as the next guy. But game makers regularly have larger price-point releases which come with bonuses and extras. If a person wants those bonuses then they pay for the higher-end version of the game. That’s life.

I honestly have a hard time imagining anything that could be more small and petty than blubbering about not being able to separately purchase the high-tier bonus/extra of a video game release … particularly when it has absolutely no impact on gameplay.

3 Likes

“$80.00 for 80 card packs are a good bargain.”
What are you talking about? The cards themselves have zero value.
If Blizzard decided they could delete every card in all of our collection and nothing would stop them. The cards are still theirs, they still have the rights to them. Blizzard is not actually giving you anything for your $80.00. They don’t have to spend a cent to give you 30 more packs of cards rather then just giving you 50 packs.
I would rather spend $50.00 for 50 Packs then $80 for any amounts of packs.
80 x zero value packs =50 x zero value packs but $80>$50
Do you not know how online card game works?

3 Likes

Okaaayyyyy :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What doesn’t work that way? E-commerce? Online gaming? The expansion pre-purchase? Life? Capitalism? Profit margins?

Ah. I see. You’ve not yet accepted that today’s reality is that we all live in an information age where digital content is as much or more valuable than physical content. When you’ve successfully moved into this century where consumers have embraced the concept of paying money for digital content like Netflix the discussion can resume.

3 Likes

Hearthstone is not just a card game, it is also a collection game. For a large amount of people, including myself, their collection matters much more than if they hit legend this season or not. It is absolutely devastating to “gameplay” for those players when completing their collection is not possible unless you spend $80 for a skin. It is also devastating when the adding heroes to your collection is a very unpredictable task. Blizzard has created more then 7+ ways to obtain new hero differently. It is unfair to those players, who to them it the price range and the way to obtain new hero do effect “gameplay” a lot

Why do people care so much? Someone who plays everyday will have enough gold from dailies alone to buy themselves plenty of packs, so why waste money on preordering anyway?

3 Likes

Heroes are PURELY COSMETIC.

They have no effect on gameplay and will not increase anyone’s chance of winning.

Cosmetic rewards are a time-honored tradition when it comes to Blizzard releasing expansions.

When is the LAST TIME you have seen Blizzard release any expansion without also offering a more expensive “Deluxe” version, which has shiny, cosmetic rewards attached?

These rewards have no impact on gameplay, and are 100% optional.

You are under NO obligation to purchase these cosmetic rewards.

This tradition has not changed in the last decade. You’re not the first people to whine about it. You won’t be the last. This won’t be the last time I decline to care.

“Affordable” and “Value v. Cost” are different things. In the Blizzard store, a pack is $1.50, or 150 game gold. The hero skins you can buy are $10.00 (I believe) with a card back. A golden legendary is 1,600 dust.

So, separately, this bundle would cost you approximately $210.00 (assuming that you need to buy approximately 80 packs and dust them all to get 1,600 dust for the legendary). That seems to be a favorable value v. cost.

yeah, let me just go on google and type in “lunch” for some food real quick. That will help my hunger. Let me instead of spending that $80.00 to help with my next month rent, instead spend it on hearthstone. I can just get a home digitally right? Heck, a digital roof might even be better than a real roof because “digital content is as much or more valuable than physical content”

If I go out and buy $80 worth of pokemon cards, some of those cards will probably worth at least some amount of money 20 years from now, I may make back my $80 or even profit down the road. If I go and buy $80 worth of Hearthstone cards online guess what?, the game is probably going to be dead in 5-10 years. In 20 years I will still never make 1 cent of my $80 back

2 Likes

Buy it, $80 is a steal considering Priest only releases a new hero every 2-3 years.

I missed the last Priest Hero, never forgive myself for doing so.

1 Like