New Warlock Epic: Riftcleaver

Love this card from a design point of view, I love cards that uses Health as a resource and it suits the Warlock class really well. Having a removal that at the same time puts a 7/5 on board has alot of value.

If a control type of Warlock becomes a thing in the upcoming meta I do believe that this card will be apart of the deck if not two at least one of them.

Similar to a card generated by Lich King, definitely a good one. Cool replacement in wild Reno decks for that 3/3 discover a spell. 4/5

Obliterate on a stick. 4 mana 7/5 ain’t bad.

Its not that bad but still it would be too much risk I guess. If you can put enough pressure it might win you the match. On the other hand it would heavily depend on the meta. If the meta remains the same, this card without additional support is kinda way too risky of losing you the game.
Agaisnt hunter you face the problem he might finish you off with some leeroy, unleash or magnetize “combo”.
Warrior with his aoe and ST removals is kinda safe (on the other hand that matchup is kinda oppressive all the time).
Vs mage it would be some rng fest of how many freeze and finisher he would get his hand on.

But it looks like they are pushing zoo archetype. And that new 3 mana card might actually make the zoo a playable archetype again.

Soul Siphon that leaves behind a body; but I personally feel like the health cost will be too great. The 7/5 will be dying within a turn most games, and warlock doesn’t have much in the way of healing.

Maybe in wild evenlock? Then again, by t6 you’ve probably already brought your health low, played your hooked reavers/molten giants, and are bringing your health back up with spellstones.

It could DEFINITELY go either way. Against one deck, Pit Lord will better help you reach your molten giant, and against another Lifedrinker will keep you alive.

I think there’s too much aggro to run this, but who knows. This definitely would require a deck that holds a strong healing package/reno to see play over siphon life.

Interesting card. Minions that can destroy other minions and leave a body behind are very powerful; since tempo is king. Think of how powerful Vilespine Slayer was throughout its entire lifespan in standard. Or how strong things like Dyn-o-matic and Omega Devastator feel today. True those examples don’t deal you damage, but as long as you have at least 1 health when you win, it doesn’t matter that it dealt you damage.

Thematically, the price you pay for that power can be quite large. Will there be enough ways to heal up that kind of self harm? Since it’s based on health, you can either take a value trade to lower the target’s health and reduce the damage or use it on a minion the opponent used to value trade.

I could imagine this in something like Brian Kibler’s Plot Twist deck that uses stuff like Aranasi Broodmother, Rotten Applebaum and Deranged Doctor to provide enough healing to allow for fairly unrestricted use of this thing. And when it gets summoned by Betrug, it has enough attack to probably kill most things on board.

And it still probably won’t be relevant, but with enough self damage, perhaps something like Nethersoul Buster could be considered.

With every single Warlock card reveal, from every single new set, I sit and wait in the shadows for self-harm Warlock to become an even remotely viable deck. I was nearly there in Boomsday lol

Pretty nuts for tempo but comes at a cost to your health. This seems pretty reasonable. Either you snowball out of control from the tempo or you kill yourself.

Many of us have the same desire

1 Like

For one less mana, +1 health, the ability to kill mage Giants and no Dragon restriction, absolutely. The card itself is amazing, it’s just that Warlock is a terrible class with themes all over the place.

1 Like

It’s vanilla stats for the cost with a powerful battlecry that you’re basically getting for free. Trading health for health with a minion is a good deal.

This card is beyond broken in arena.
Warlock might come back in arena again with this card
probably in the 100-120 range of hearth arena

You are literally the only arena player in your region.
Why does it matter to you?

Cuz ladder is pure suffering and arena is the only game mode that is suffering but not pure suffering.

I don’t have anything against the card, Warlock needs a card like this to come back in arena, they are 5th in terms of power level right now.
If only warrior can get a card like this…hhhhmmmm

False.

But pure suffering is not unpure suffering, and therefore better.

1 Like

In arena you actually have to use your brain to calculate the chances of your opponent drafting an answer in their deck. In ladder you already know every card in your opponent’s deck from the moment the game started.

Not to mention now they are rotating sets, the meta is ever changing.

Imagine I’m playing Mage.

What are the chances that I drafted Sunreaver Warmage and have a 5+ mana spell in my hand to play it?

Show your math, please.

Bonus points if you display the full table of potential spells to active WM with draft chance percentages for each, also giving the calculation for having drawn them by turn 5.

1 Like

You made a bold assumption about people actually having functioning brains.

I calculated it.
Though I am not entirely sure, for I probably made a mistake, somewhere.
Which is why I have two possible answers.

The results:

Not percentages. I forgot to add the units.

This is probably in Kelvin.