New player rewards suggestion

So i recently started on a different region outside of my regular one. I felt that the only way to begin with a competitive deck was 1 of 2 ways. Either put money into the game or disenchant non essential cards to be able to create the core of a meta deck minus the legendaries. Since this wasn’t my main region I simply opted for disenchanting non essential cards and crafted bomb hunter minus the legendary cards. For those curious i replaced Ziliax and Leeroy with 2x animal companion. Worked out very well.

Now obviously a new player isn’t going to want to do this since they are going to want to actually keep their collection. There is also a good chance that they are not willing to invest into hearthstone either since they aren’t sure if they are going to enjoy it enough. So i’d imagine many simply stop playing. I haven’t looked at any data on this so admittedly the way I’ve put myself into a new players shoes could be wrong.

My suggestion is simple. I’d like to see dust awarded via quests or some other means. As for the amount i’d say roughly 3-5k should be a good amount to get started in hearthstone. New players are already awarded quite a number of card packs so this should be enough to create a deck that is current and allow them to play the game without sacrificing a bulk of their early collection and feeling like the game is pay to win.

1 Like

Here’s the thing. You’re not a new player. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not throwing shade or anything, just that you’re looking at it from a biased position.

First of all, you just proved that you don’t need legendaries to recreate a netdeck. So why would they need enough dust to make two to three legendaries?

Second of all, you recreated a netdeck. A new player wouldn’t netdeck right away. He’d make a deck based on the cards he has, try them out and then go on the world wide internet thingy to check out why he’s losing and discover the different sites that help players. Then he can decide what deck he wants and what he’ll sacrifice to make it. Now, if he had 3-5k dust available, he’d make a deck based on the cards he has, use the dust to craft cards that he thinks will supplement his deck, realise that he’s wrong and still loses and then come here to complain anyway, especially because the dusting revenue is so low compared to the cost.

Now, it may sound harsh, but new players have to learn for themselves what’s good and what’s not. Give a man a fish, and he’ll come to the forums to complain that he doesn’t get a fish every day. Teach a man to fish and he’ll be able to scold those noobs to learn to play and git gud.

You missed the part where i stated i had to disenchant the bulk of my collection in order to do this minus the legendaries. Conveniently left that bit out.

Right and then from there he’d realise he has none of these cards, give up because he’s losing every game to net decks and play something else.

“Here’s the thing. You’re not a new player. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not throwing shade or anything, just that you’re looking at it from a biased position.” fits here nicely i think?

Right and I’m not sure how giving a player some dust to craft some cards to play around and learn with prevents a player from learning how to play? Could you elaborate?

You seem to be forgetting that there is now 50-25 ranks where new players mess around with. My suggesting isn’t “hey welcome to hearthstone here is 3-5k dust”.
By the time the player would even begin to see dust through rewards he’d have played roughly 50 games of hearthstone. It’s after these ranks that things really become a problem. Once you hit rank 25 all you face is net decks.
Now the new 50-26 ranks while good for trying out the game and protecting players from net decks is a good argument against my suggestion this still doesn’t solve the issue of once you reach the actual competitive play you either pay up, dissolve the bulk of your tiny collection or proceed to lose nearly every game or quit. There needs to be a point of entry at rank 25-20 that doesn’t require extensive knowledge of the game like I have in order to feel like you can compete.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I left that out because it was implied, not out of convenience (after all, how would someone recreate a netdeck without dust?). But as a lot of people have already said, you don’t need every card to play HS, you just need the cards to make a deck. I have a large collection because I’ve been playing a long time and I’m a collector, but when I started, I had to choose to either use subpar cards or dust cards I didn’t use to make the ones I needed. If you want to win (at anything) you have to make sacrifices.

Also, if someone starts playing a competitive game, I don’t think they’re in the position to complain things are competitive. If that game is a collectable game, it makes sense they’ll have to collect something and those that have a larger collection are at an advantage. New players either have to whale or play the long game, and in HS that means dusting what you don’t need to make what works. After some time (again, it’s the long time) you’ll be in a position where you no longer have to dust cards and can start building a collection.

As for my standing on new players learning for themselves, tutorials are nice, but you can’t hold their hands forever. At some point you need to let go, and if they’ve been given a crutch this whole time, they’ll never survive in the deep end. As you said, there’s no need for netdecks at rank 50-25, so, when they find a deck that wins, they’ll add cards to it to compliment it. And then they reach the rank that has netdecks and they’ll find that their homebrew deck, along with the legendaries they crafted with your dust reward, is getting slaughtered.

I don’t think anyone reading this hasn’t gone through the same processes that you’ve just stated. The entire point of the dust suggestion is so they don’t have to. It’s actually a huge pain. “New players either have to whale or play the long game, and in HS that means dusting what you don’t need to make what works.” uhh yeah. You hit the nail on the head. This isn’t a good thing. A game doesn’t grow in popularity by forcing people to spend large amounts of money immediately or getting beat on for a long period of time. Just because you and many others experienced this doesn’t make it a good experience.

You don’t need to be so modest. Ask for $100 to battle.net account at once.

SSD’s appear to be exceptionally fast hard drives but notoriously slow humans.

This is not an easy thread to reply to, as there is quite a few aspects of the game that needs to be address.

A F2P game must balance between being attractive enough to get players playing, and profitable enough to ensure the game can operate.

In addition, players comes in all shapes and sizes. New players range from totally new to CCG to expert CCG player but new to HS.

HS has been very cautious with its reward system to ensure the longevity of the game. The introduction of 25 additional ranks with rewards have certainly help new players to adapt to the game better.

Additional resources are always welcomed, but it may not always be beneficial. The key reason being that the new players could misuse/waste the resources, therefor, did not solve any problem in the first place.

This creates a wider divide between experienced players vs the totally new players. (since experienced players would utilize the resources better than totally new players)

Totally new players may assume the need for even more resources to be provided, and thus set a vicious cycle, or further strengthen their P2W believes.

Since OP stated the additional resources are attached to quests, then the key importance is the quality of the quest in design.

Example:
Achieve 100 wins with a class - small reward
Achieve 300 wins with a class - medium reward
Achieve 500 wins with a class - large reward

The association of rewards to wins “forces” the player to learn about the strength/weakness of the class. At each milestone, the rewards can enable the player to strengthen his/her deck, WITH the experiences gain by achieving it.

TLDR: The quests must designed to encourage learning and growth.

2 Likes

Not sure what the guideline to being a noob is but i consider myself with 2 months or so one. I am still new enough to not understand the complete issue with having to spend cash but i am sort of glad H.S. arent making it TOO easy or i wouldnt b on youtube, forums, guides etc etc im very very close to having two budget decks (hunter an shaman) i believe im missing 1 card in 1 an like 6 or 7 cards. Im about set to try and make a push with this couple decks to try an get out of this rank 20 spot i been stuck in for 70% of my time here…i think it be cool to set up sometype of a tourney where say 6-8 players take 2 decks in aint cant change the decks frim the 2 u start with anywho then gold silver bronze that then take a time to open with a random drop rate of possibly getting a good card and or a little dust.
Before all that i didnt know about having 2 accounts so since i jumped in wanting to play b4 reading i kinda mismanaged from the gate so maybe just with the little info known i may try an run a 2nd so i dont randomly drop cards for dust to try an craft anither card that honestly may have been worse… Off Fishinng thanks again