New card type next expansion, according to Iksar QnA

Which is very likely the reason Hearthstone has declined over the years in active players.

If the business model in gaming is to just stay stagnant, it’s doomed to fail. You have to be creative and you have to make changes. I feel like this Hearthstone team might discover this a little too late.

1 Like

Do we have the numbers to say that Hearthstone is in an overall decline? I know one might say “it’s obvious,” pointing at Twitch. But, pedants won’t accept that as proof.

Yeah. Compared to 3 years ago, pre-Covid, the numbers were way up.

We’re at about 4,000,000 active players now, which is up over the last 2 years. But if you go back just over 3 years ago it was double that…

2 Likes

I found that as well, but am wondering how these estimations are made. I am re-reading (this has been posted previously), and don’t see exactly how these numbers are being reached.

While I can agree the numbers aren’t 100% accurate since most companies will not release actual numbers, they likely are somewhat close based on other data you can grab.

For example, if a game claims “21 million players!” we know this does not mean active players, but it means all accounts over all time or all downloads over all time. Lots of games do this to pump up their numbers, you see it on mobile apps all the time.

Then, you could also use data based on average player spending and company profit statements.

Like I said, not 100% accurate, but an estimation nonetheless.

1 Like

I think we’ll get abilities with a cooldown timer that can use up the weapon slot. They’ll be like the magic equivalent of weapons, and closer to being alternate hero powers. The mage one will make people cry for nerfs. The priest one will look cool and scary but turn out to be garbage. All classes with good weapons will get bad special abilities, except either paladin or warrior depending on who’s doing the set design.

Battle Pets obviously, Duh… :musical_note: :notes: :musical_note: :notes:

2 Likes

I love battle pets. I haven’t played WoW in about a year and a half or so, but have a ton of 'em.

They did add those, they were totems in the solo adventure for Rashtakan’s Rumble.

Oh goodness…you may be right. We did get BG buddies after all so the “pending buddy” thing is already there.

Makes total sense.

1 Like

Another possibility is, we’ll get “upgradable” cards like the mercenaries. Minions/legendaries/something new, that can be upgraded by special currency dropped from packs (instead of 5 cards, packs are now 4 cards, and a small amount of special new currency).

Argh please don’t give them any stupid ideas… that would definitely mean the end of HS for me if they introduced something like that!!

2 Likes

So you pay mana to put it on the board, then click on it to spend mana on the effect? Would you be able to get the effect multiple times per turn if you have enough mana?

Sounds like a nightmare to get the balance right.

Why would we need a special currency for upgrades? Galakrond worked fine with the upgrades earned for every two Invokes.

Unfortunately for you HS is still Blizzards biggest mobile cash cow and it’s not even close for Diablo Immortal. Highly doubt they destroy the very product keeping their mobile division in business.

Oh, we don’t need it, and we don’t want it. Blizzard might want it, so they can sell it to us.

Id rather they did more regarding interaction. 7 mana mutanus is a joke. We need more cards that can interact with opponents hand that dont come down 8 turns too late. Stuff like “discover a card in your opponents hand to discard”. The constrictor is a nice card but in the end it does too little.

Don’t be ridiculous - the in match power ups will cost diamonds. It’s the diamonds that cost money!

These are all jabs at Diablo Immortal monetization.

If you can get 1 million of your friends to give you a dollar…