MMR matches are [not really] broken

That still sounds like it could be exploited in some way.
Still, just needing it shows this new system is false.

This was absolutely clear in legend before as it is now. It was part of the design of that ladder space that your ranking was your position on the ladder, and your MMR matched you to people near you on that same ladder. The match up spreads and winrates for decks absolutely came closer to the 50-50 mark as you climb. We see it clearly in the data.

The problem is now all ranks behave this way, making climbing significantly harder because you’re already playing against your equally skilled opponents despite not sharing their ladder position.

Did I say this?

I said that wins increase MMR faster than loses make it go down, which means you will yo-yo more than before when matched by MMR at lower ranks.

I’m not sure what you mean by false.

I think it’s a valid way to do it, but they need to remove the rankings entirely and make everyone have a unique rank and change the monthly rewards to compensate.

Basically turn the whole ladder into the former legend model where you match by MMR and you’re shown a ranking that corresponds to your unique place on the ladder. It’s the only fair way to do it now if your ranking is meaningless.

1 Like

Doesn’t the need for guardrails prove there’s something wrong with this system? A good system doesn’t require such measures to be effective; it simply works as intended.

Example: The system before. No amount of tanking your MMR would affect the D5 to Legend climb, so guardrails weren’t needed. Even if you did do it, all you would get is a horrible Legend ranking, while not making the Diamond climb any easier since you are matched by rank.

This is accurate. It was good design that it was a free for all at that ranking.

Not necessarily.

The fact that there are bad actors doesn’t mean the system is inherently flawed.

I do honestly think such a rework of the system should come with some kind of reset to everyone’s mmr so that everyone starts again with an even playing field. As Neon correctly states, anyone climbing without 10 bonus stars after this is likely to have a harder time than those who came before. Matching by rank combined with ranked floors was key to both of my climbs to legend. I think the people on this thread who aren’t getting this already have 10 or 11 bonus stars.

That said, I also think I understand how the system could previously be abused by people trying for top legend spots as described by Altair, but I also have a hard time relating to that as a casual player. Most people are trying to climb the ladder just for more rewards at the end of the month, not for a spot at a tournament with prize money.

4 Likes

The system is not designed around legendary players creating new accounts. It may be deliberately designed against it, ie they dont want players creating and rolling to legendary purely based on mmr lag.

Your mmr climbs fast, your stars climb monthly. so based of your first 30-50 games which had a high number of wins your mmr has spiked, but your still stuck at no more then 2 stars per win from win streaks. 15 wins for bronze, 15 wins for silver etc.

while I can see why you think it has issues, just climb to where you get tired of the climb and wait for the 7+ stars the next month. It might take you 3 months to reach legendary, oh no.

I disagree, I suspect blizzard also disagrees. Right now I suspect you have a win rate in the top 1&

I had 8 bonus stars after a diamond 6 finish, 10 days into new season I was diamond 6 again. you don’t need 10 bonus stars to reach diamond 5 relatively quickly.

pretty sure something like silver 10 gives 7.

Silver 10 gives 2 stars

Best rank last season Minimum Star Bonus
Bronze 10 2x
Bronze 5 2x
Silver 10 2x
Silver 5 3x
Gold 10 4x
Gold 5 5x
Platinum 10 6x
Platinum 5 7x
Diamond 10 8x
Diamond 5 9x
Legend 10x
High Legend 11x

1 Like

Because people are blaming all sort of things on the new system which are not actually the problem of the new mmr system.

Sorry the new mmr system did not kill your cat or eat your homework.

They like ranks because a flat number like 6000 and you play really well and move up to 5500 is just boring, woohooo dumpster legend 1000!!. boring,boring,boring.

which is inherently better then rewarding playesr because they win more as they climb without stars, because that probably is a result of smurfing to that situation by creating a new account.

2 Likes

Minimum not maximum?

the last year my care factor about ranked has been pretty low, I have had results as low as silver 10, from playing less then 20 ranked matches in a month yet generally I get 7 or 8 stars regardless.

Oh look, the flag spammer is back. Absolutely crazy.

1 Like

I love how the notification doesn’t even tell you what was allegedly a violation so you can’t even look at the post in question.

It’s bizarre how this is working right now.

You and I are having a disagreement but apparently we’re both getting the same treatment from the horde.

Do you think Fireheart uses sunscreen? Or maybe instead just casts some sort of spell in advance to protect against getting sunburned? Or like, a healing spell after the fact to fix her peeled skin? A bad sunburn is no joke :worried: : r/hearthstone (reddit.com)

1 Like

It’s someone that dislikes us both and they spam on an alt account.

This is like my 10th post that has been flagged.

Not a single one has been removed. Only one that got technically removed was one that was in a thread that was deleted because of the mass flagging and I didn’t start that thread.

So because we both got flagged, I imagine the entire thread gets deleted now because the mod doesn’t want to bother reading this entire thing. They just see 4 posts flagged and click delete thread.

1 Like

I wish urgod42069 was on these forums, the forums would be a more interesting and happier place, but that user would probably also just be flagged into oblivion

1 Like

This idea that your MMR can get “stuck” represents a fundamental misunderstanding of what the purpose of MMR is.

It changes constantly. Every single game.

MMR resets only serve to make matches crappy again while people get back to their equilibrium.

It makes a lot more sense when you learn that they went to this forum software shortly befoee the massive layoffs in I think 2019 aftwr reporting record profits. 900ish people, including large chunks of the community team such as the last person with blue text who gave a damn about this place.

The system exists so they don’t have to spend any personnel on it. We police each other, like capitalism intended.

1 Like

I’m not talking about MMR getting stuck. I’m talking about one’s initial and likely most important climb to legend. After that, assuming you want to keep playing roughly as much, obtaining legend each month is easier because of bonus stars. But the first time, because of rank floors after bonus stars (where you would before often face easier players), the initial climb was easier.

1 Like

You are not wrong here.

No one is saying that, Mand.

You aren’t following the discussion if you think that was their point.

No, the first is not the most important.

Your MMR is your MMR, and it doesn’t matter where it is if you actually improve enough to get to Legend.

Good players rise. But keep in mind Legend is less than one percent of the playerbase. That remaining more than 99 percent shouldn’t make it to Legend. And no matchmaking shenanigans are needed to enforce it.

This you?

There’s also this guy:

So please, don’t lie and say no one is saying this when you’re the one saying it. Dishonesty never results in productive discussion.