Marin quest is anti-player

Just my thoughts on the weekly quest. If you don’t agree or think ‘the quest is easy’, that’s ok too.

The recent weekly event quests – specifically the one to use Marin’s treasure 15 times – is DEEPLY player unfriendly. We all have choices, of course, and I could simply refuse to engage this week but my engagement with Hearthstone is ongoing and part of a larger pursuit.

In this context, the manipulation of setting a quest that requires a couple of hours to complete with unrelaible, frustrating progress can only represent a cynical attempt to force players to play a particular mode.

It’s cynical, it’s upsetting. It’s eroded my remaining trust in the company as anything other than a money-grab.

So, the company will get its increased metrics for the week, but I have fallen a little out of love. So player unfriendly, so deeply annoying, so obvious.

Is putting up these kinds of quests WORTH the loss in sentiment? It just makes me sad and view Hearthstone not as a fun escape anymore.

Hope the boost in numbers is worth it.

1 Like

It is a WEEKLY quest it is suppose to take you 7 days(expect probably 1-2hours a day) to complete as you wont get a new one for that long.

At least this time around they chose the legendary we all got for free instead of a random neutral legend that costs more and is trash(Jepetto)

3 Likes

Marin 15 times is really easy to do. Everyone plays Marin. Wait till you see the next one… hahah play the COIN 12 times in ranked hearthstone — very easy

uh money grab ? marin is a free legendary
why didnt you mention is a weekly quest wont be gone until the event ends 14 days after the marin quest was enabled ???

is kind of too important to leave it out

1 Like

i don’t understand this complaint, tbh … i got the quest done in almost 2 games … took a third to play one more treasure … you get marin in a deck, you put bounce/copy cards like the brewmasters and zola, and you play a relatively control/value centric deck so that you can just play as many treasures per game as you can … don’t worry about winning or hitting the opponent’s face, just bounce marin and play treasures … i’m pretty sure you can just do this in casual (i think i did) … so, yeah, what’s the complaint about??

1 Like

I understand it’s a weekly. My point is it makes the player play in a very particular way, and takes some time to complete.

I prefer to play different decks, and most of the other quests can be completed with any deck.

The money grab part of my comment is looking at a slightly larger issue. Companies know or believe that time spent in a game is eventually correlated with money (and usefult to tell people how many hours their players spend in game etc) so they are forcing engagement on their terms instead of letting people play how they prefer.

As someone commented above, the Jepetto quest was far worse. For this quest I’d much prefer one where progress is reliable, like… play 15 games with Marin starting in your deck, or something. That seems a more reasonable balance to me.

I don’t want to spend my playing time forced into Marin decks; I’d rather, I don’t know… play how I like?

uh you can slap marin into any deck is a neutral without any deckbuilding requeriments

and you can complete it on any mode you care complaing just to complain about something anything would do

this time is the event quest

Complaining at being forced to play a certain way by anti fun quests… and I literally never post on forums.

You do you, though.

In several games, my opponent instantly conceded after I played Marin, preventing me from playing any Marin cards.
How exactly am I supposed to complete the quest when this is happening?

I just got this quest today (9/8/24) and according to the event there is ONLY 8d left for the event. How is someone supposed to complete this “EVENT” casually who cant sit and play this game more than an hour or so every other day or 2? Even if I were to complete this it is ONLY rewarding the 2 pack reward and probably will not give enough time to do the 3 and 4 pack event portions. So I do agree that this is very “player unfriendly” for those that are unable to spend the “time” to be able to complete this event series and removes alot of the enjoyment or playing the game.

was a20 days event …cant blame blizzard for starting late

I did copy a Rogue deck from Reddit that could consistently draw Marin and bounce him for more treasures, got most of it done on the third game I played. 2hr is probably enough. Casual games.

That being said, I do still prefer how it was before with daily quests: I think it added up to more event XP too because I am only at 1.8k/4k at the moment.

play a friend this one isnt restricted to ranked

Me too, just played druid to ramp and play him really fast and thats it.

Took just a few games.

All quests are anti-player.

1 Like

Wut. Justification pending.

First, let’s imagine a quest without a reward. What do you call a quest without a reward? In video game terminology, it’s an “achievement.”

I don’t think I need to describe how all achievements are anti-player.

Well, quests are just achievements with pitiful amounts of store credit added on. They’re jokes.

All randomized quest systems are anti-player. You should never ever look at your quests and be tempted to do the things they tell you to do. Either do it because it’s fun or don’t do it at all, but never do it because it’s on the to-do list that a corporation sent you. Everyone who “only logs in to complete their quests” is a victim of addictive, unethical game design.

3 Likes

I guess you say in other words it’s a dopamine carrot on a stick. You have a point because it’s the main reason I don’t play World of Warcraft anymore; I like to mainly do mythic raiding; in order to do that I have to do mundane grinding for 80% of game time (without mentioning the waste of time developing entire guilds but that’s another topic to this).

The good thing with Hearthstone is that at least those things are VERY limited; e.g. people were whining about the Marin quest; I have already done the questline with casual times of play and it has many days left.

Just don’t do it, you get 7 exp for afking a game. And since there are some other dumb quests too like “use your hero power 5 milion times” , do damage 35 times and so on, you just afk the games pressing hero power and hitting face while playing something else.

This is what hearthstone has become, a sad parade of hitting a button every few seconds to get some things in hopes the game will eventually get better. Which it will not but hopes dies last.

I just press hero power hit face, while exhausting my stamina in 7 days to die :)…After this chore is done in hs I get back to play other real games.

Of Course we can blame them for making such ridiculous quests with obnoxious requirements to complete no matter when someone starts the event.