Magistrix Norroa Is a Problem Boss

Despite being the easiest of the 4 “extra” stage 5 bosses, Magistrix Norroa breaks the rules of HS single player content in a way that has nothing to do with difficulty.

The single player content is great because it can be picked up and put down at-will, you can play a little bit of a dungeon run for a few minutes while you’re waiting for a delivery, between tasks at work or sitting on the bus. Having one boss that requires your full attention for the entire encounter without pause breaks the promise of HS singleplayer being playable on-the-go.

I would hope that blizz stays away from the rope mechanic for future adventures.

6 Likes

The surprise factor certainly delivered, but it might impact replay value indeed.

1 Like

Can you go into detail? I’ve never been good enough to get to Norroa …

Basically the issue is that she adds a time limit to your turns, which breaks the convention of single player content being accessible in short, inconsistent play sessions.

The boss itself is a pretty simple fight, just a secret mage with 3-4 copies of each mage secret and another 3-4 copies of each secret synergy minion.

Ahhhh … the time limit. I’ve noticed that during some of my duels my opponent is already racing against time when their turn begins – any idea what’s going on? Just wondering.

If you don’t like the game, don’t play it.

Whoa, calm down buddy, you’re just being needlessly confrontational.
If you read my post you’d realize that I was pretty positive about the Dalaran Heist, it’s an enjoyable piece of content. My complaint was that Magistrix breaks the rule that single player HS content is supposed to be “play anywhere, pause whenever you need to”, and is the only boss out of 75 that can’t really be played with an indeterminate time commitment.

3 Likes

No, I think I’m being the right level of confrontational. I don’t see what makes your criticism valid and anybody else’s invalid. What’s good for the goose, and all that…

Though way to be dismissive, as usual.

Ah, you’re just here to vent about some completely unrelated thing.

Dismissing you is sensible and appropriate.

1 Like

Bahahahahaha. What a lovely, well-reasoned person you are. My apologies for taking you seriously. I won’t bother you again.

As someone who plays more PvE HS than PvP, I’d echo what OP said. The PvE experience is about chill puzzle solving with the ability to pause as needed. PvE is the experience some players are looking for, and Norroa doesn’t have the same feel. One such player posted here.

Norroa isn’t an especially difficult encounter. I think I’m 8-1 against her so this isn’t sour grapes, but it’s by far the least fun encounter across all of HS’s PvE content. It feels less like a chill puzzle to solve and more like an irritation that the devs chose cards that use super lengthy animations.

Please Blizz: no more timed PvE.

3 Likes

A mindgame boss of the most unfun variety.

Must admit, I never thought of the time limit being against the very concept of an expected “chill” level of play in PvE. This is especially true since I’m filling in work days playing Hearthstone and seeing her “up next” means switching to other PvE content.

Still, not sure I agree, as having her in the list brings a bit of variety to some of the more standard direct damage hero abilities I’ve seen.

No, for me the issue is knowing I should easily be able to cast the three or four spells I would like to cast each turn, but the time being eaten waiting for her Secrets to resolve or losing another attack or two as the lag of bringing out two minions holds up the green outline of other, useable cards.

In the end, fighting Norroa is less strategy based and more getting lucky enough to have 2-3 plays resolve in a turn.

I completely agree with you. Single player is all about just chilling and puzzle-solving; the developers clearly thought breaking this would be “fun”, but it wasn’t. And the guy you linked broke my heart - seriously devs? You still didn’t fix this stupid mechanics?

(Also, why am I still suprised at the raging troll here? Sigh…)

To be fair, at least they haven’t repeated it in Tombs of Terror or the Adventures.