Mage is out of control with Discovery

Just happened at legend. I’m complaining mainly about discover, and mage can definitely abuse it. To keep rediscovering and resupplying with the same 2 spells is not fun at all.

1 Like

what greedy thing are you playing that they can discover and not be dead?

Was playing pure paladin. My board was basically frozen from turn 3 onward thanks to 2x location, coin blizzard (discovered on turns 1 and 2 thanks to suspicious alchemist) plus having copies in their deck. It was then turns 5 solid alibi, turn 6 blizzard (discovered), turn 7 blizzard (discovered), turn 8 blizzard (rewind into blizzard), turn 9 blizzard (rewind #2 into blizzard), turn 10 solid alibi, turn 11 location freeze 2x minions, turn 12 Sivara into blizzard, turn 13 blizzard, turn 14 solid alibi. Must’ve been me being too greedy.

1 Like

The irony of someone playing pure paladin complaining about mage in this meta.

Awesome.

They got some lucky discover rng for sure.

1 Like

Oh no, my 3x games of pure paladin for the daily, how horrible of me. Luck? sure, but it makes for a horrendous gameplay experience.

1 Like

Highrolling is baked into all CCGs dude if you can’t handle it you’re in the wrong genre.

Can handle it just fine. I’m giving feedback as to how discover negatively impacts my gameplay experience. Try thinking about how these mechanics can impact the long-term health of the game (i.e., player experience and retention) as opposed to just saying, “high roll happens.” I just described an experience where one player got to play solitaire because there is zero counterplay to what happened. Discover rewards horrible play and decks. Only other game/mode where I’ve had the experience of having zero interaction with my opponent for multiple turns is vintage format MTG. Same applies for DK with multiple board clear discovers.

1 Like

Discover keeps things from being a boring linear game my dude. Also there’s no effective difference between an opponent topdecking a pyroblast when you’re at 10 health vs discovering one. You’d lose all the same either way. Discovery is clearly quite popular and baked into HS now. It isn’t likely to go anywhere. Even if you remove discovery you’re gonna still have non games or bs lucky plays but you’ll be even more bored than you are now.

Also there’s no effective difference between an opponent topdecking a pyroblast when you’re at 10 health vs discovering one.

except there is if it wasn’t in their deck to begin with

You’d lose all the same either way.

maybe, or maybe I have the board stabilized and locked down - once again, you cannot counterplay a class discovering a card that wasn’t in their deck.

You can make your argument in favor of discover, but the playerbase has shrunk. There was a time before discover when this game was even more popular. Luck circumstances will happen, the difference is it will be because the player utilized their deck and got lucky, not because the mage discovered 10 copies of blizzard or the rogue discovered whirlpool to wipe the board. Discover and thief-cards are nothing but pure laziness from the developers.

2 Likes

What difference does it make if it was in their deck or not? You lost either way due to luck. It is still a loss not through skill but chance. I think the main appeal is it gives new players access to cards they don’t have, and it makes it feel like a comeback is always possible. Also gonna need a source on the supposedly dwindling playerbase. People have been saying the game was on the verge of dying for years, still the king od dCCGs and it’s not even close.

Nah bliizgoon, the “bad” deck as you say was given the golden “rng” to smash someone the alg decided needed to lose.

But for some reason the djinni at blizzcorp are not satisfied with us losing.

We also have to endure horrendous rng swing GARBAGE because that hurts more.

And thats the truth…

And you know it.

I love this thread.

A priest player is complaining about a mage having infinite value.

They should just make every class have infinite value. The tears of priests.

1 Like

It’s always a riot.

“But but but I once faced a mage and LOST! Because he discovered cards! I shouldn’t lose!”

Meanwhile Big Bad Discover based mage isn’t even a deck. Mage’s only competitive deck kills you from hand with Vexallus and is done with it.

1 Like

Holy crap, that’s the worst thing I’ve ever read. There’s a HUGE difference between discovering a card and topdecking it. If you have it in your deck, you risk every turn drawing it, even before you have 10 mana, and maybe you won’t be able to find a turn to safely play it. Meanwhile, discover lets you choose pyroblast or 2 other cards that deal with the current situation. There’s A LOT of cards nowadays that you’d never want to put in a deck, but you want to discover. That’s what pyroblast is nowadays, it’s a card that’s unplayable in your deck, but in a long, control game, you better believe you want your infinite finale to be discovering it each turn.

Do you have a source for it being quite popular? Rarran I think is his name does videos with ex-pro hearthstone players and they’re always blown away by the amount of discover and powercreep in the game. In the old days, you had to be able to read your opponent hand, what they draw, and what they had in their deck. Now, it’s a crapshoot if you know what your opponent has because discover has gotten out of control. And god forbid if it’s mage. Discover a random card, that random card is a card that lets you discover 2 more cards (and swap their cost!).

2 Likes

Every time I see a Mage thread. All I’m going to see is complaints and Blizzards smashes Mage to the ground and everyone calls it trash.

If you play pure paladin and you stop dominating the board you should concede as well.

Not makes you win but takes less time optimizing your climb.

Basically you lost fair and square but don’t know your deck enough to understand when to concede.

1 Like

Discover stayed because it was quite possibly the most popualr mechanic Hearthstone ever introduced. There was a period BEFORE discovery and the numbers are night and day.

2 Likes

You are probably playing something that stands no chance against most meta decks, were I to hazard a guess.
Other classes and decks are floor-stomping the mage deck.
Perhaps you should craft one of those?

Imagine complaining about Mage in this meta. I mean you might as well start complaining about Druid and Shaman while you are at it.

When it’s the rogue dropping the pyroblast, I am going to have to disagree.

So often the worst discover is when they get the perfect out from a different class that couldn’t have included the card in their starting deck.

For mages specifically, though, the difference is that they already played two copies of the spell so they shouldn’t reliably have another copy. The issue is rewind is exactly the opposite of this and that sucks as a playstyle.

Honestly, if mage was remotely relevant in the meta people would have already melted down about how easy it is to get more copies of the same spells now. I get they wanted it to be damage spells, but it is more often control/stall that I see from them as they are usually on the defensive in the current meta.

I think there’s a solution that is less severe than remove discover but better than pulling outs you should not have out of thin air.

The reality is you can’t reliably bait removal anymore because your opponent will most likely just make more and that takes a great deal of strategy out of the game, which, in my opinion, causes discover to make the games less interesting instead of more.