Legends of Runeterra Experience. Compared

Hello, all. I believe it may be worthy to finally talk about a growing elephant in the room. Before I begin, I want to address a few things.

First, read until the end. While this may me a more lengthy post, I implore you to read this for yourself before replying “Hearthstone can’t die” as this isn’t what this post is about. This post is comparing the states of these games, and my experiences with them.

And second, I’d like to personally thank Haunter187, a friend who eventually got me to try LoR. And, on top of him being the reason I am able to even make this write-up, more importantly showing me a game I sincerely enjoy very much. So, thank you, Haunter.

Now, to get into it. I have been playing Hearthstone since 2015, and have been regularly paying per expansion since 2017. I, at its core, love this game very much and I’ve seen this game get better. The game is much better than how it was, and how the game is going to continue to get better, even if the meta isn’t a great one. However, little change is made over large periods of time. It took 3 years for duplicate protection on Legendaries, and 6 for triplicate protection.

All while these very small concessions are made, the game gets more expensive at a rapid rate. We have gone from one expansion, and two adventures a year (2015) to three full expansions a year, PLUS an adventure (2019). This is a massive difference. In 2015, you could comfortably get much more than 2800 gold every 4 months, each which covered an entire 4 months worth of cards. You could then focus the rest all on the full expansion.

However, in 2019, you now had to keep up with getting enough gold per 4 months (MAYBE 10k, I’d say average is 6-8k per 4 months playing regularly)but this would never get you anything near a full set. Maybe 5 legendaries with that gold.

Out of 27.

This hike up in price is ridiculous, and the measures Blizzard put to curb this has been flimsy, at best. However, I still happily paid. Not until did I start playing LoR did I realize how disgusting what Blizzard is doing is.

The difference is day and night. I will go from each and every point, broken into the F2P experience and the P2P experience.

The Free To Play Experience Compared

Both games are free to start. However, the differences are immediately noticeable. LoR features a robust tutorial system, which teaches you most of what the game does. This is necessary, due to the high amount of keywords, and high skill ceiling of the game. There are 10-20 tutorials, which grant you experience when completed. I will get into experience soon. However, it is also worth noting going through the very beginning tutorials scores you certain cards, including Champions, which are similar to Hearthtone’s Legendaries.

In Legends of Runeterra, you get rewards for logging in daily for the first seven days, ending in an entire deck. Along the way of these dailies, you get many cards and even a Champion. However, this goes away after a week.

Another very notable thing is being able to pick a region, and level it up. Instead of classes, LoR features 7 regions, and you can make a deck using cards from any two regions. You can pick a certain region to go down, and as you gain XP, you go through it, similar to a battle pass. Each has 25 levels, with each level giving you rewards for leveling up. You can switch them at any time with no penalty.

It is also worth noting for free players, there is no packs. Instead, there is a Wildcard system. You get wildcards from opening chests, which you get from leveling up a region, or possibly from the weekly vault. Wildcards are self explanatory, and can be used to make ay card from their respective rarity.

In addition, you can complete daily quests, which gives a large amount of XP. To further this, your XP also goes towards a weekly vault, which you level up as you gain XP. As it levels up, the rewards increase, which you get for free every Tuesday.

So, you are given very large amounts of rewards, free cards, the ability to get cards from a specific region by going down it, and overall a hefty amount of goodies for just playing the game. And while they of course drop off, they remain strong still, as the weekly vault is likely to give 1 or more Champions, and for reaching legend in Hearthstone, which is once a month, you aren’t given much at all in comparison.

In LoR, decks are of 40 cards, instead of 30. Cards can also be put in 3 times max, including Champions. If you get duplicates of cards you already completely own, you will instead get shards, which is dust. Shards are also gotten through chests, however one Legendary being 3000 shards and getting only 10-20 for a common makes the system on par, if not worse than the dust system.

Hearthstone, on the other hand, gives you a handful of classic packs and a deck to begin with. While the deck is a hefty reward, Hearthstone has a much more expansive (and expensive) collection, which means that deck can mean much less than what LoR gives. In effect, in the long-run F2P players are going to be consistently treated much better than from Hearthstone. A full collection in LoR is a realistic goal, and both games you can get an S-Tier deck in a short amount of time if you tried.

The P2P Experience

TL;DR: Hearthstone is way more expensive.

LoR uses premium currency; coins. Coins can be bought in increments of 5, 10, 20, 35, 50, and 100 USD. At the base, 5$ will get you 475 coins. With these coins, you can buy boards, in-game pet-like guardians, card backs, emotes, boards, or even Wildcards. Champion Wildcards are 300 coins, Epic is 120, Rare is 30, and Common is 10. Putting a price on cards is effective, allowing people to simply make whatever card they prefer. It is also notable there are more cosmetics in shop than Hearthstone ever had.

To compare costs, you would, from a Reddit post (so this number may be vaulty) needing 21000 coins for a full collection, (although with the Vault you can get it for free in around 5 months) which is 200$. 200$ in Hearthstone will get you likely a set and a little more. However, the way LoR’s expansions are, it makes it much, much easier to complete the set with the amount of shards and going through the faction will give you towards it.

For any final points, the F2P, and PP2 experiences of LoR crushes Hearthstone. You are treated like you matter to Riot, at least more than Blizzard does. I feel actively rewarded on a daily basis for logging on and playing a bit to advance my vault or my faction.

Riot is continuously updating the game. In fact, a slew of card buffs and nerfs just went live a few days after announcement, along with a video going live in a few hours detailing what is next for the game. We never get this with Hearthstone, it feels like the devs care much more about their product in comparison.

Now, we arrive at the closing. LoR isn’t perfect. I’m not saying it is. But for anybody who really read this post, you must really care as much as I do about either game.

What’s the point of this post, you ask? That the devs on Team 5 need to WAKE. UP. I implore all of you to go and give LoR a shot. It will grow on you like it did me. Like it did Haunter. Like it did everyone else playing. Go try out to see the rewards Blizzard COULD give us, but don’t.

But now, times are different. LoR is here, and we, WE are the consumers. We must make the competition happen. It will make the devs wake up, to try and keep us as an audience.

Because really? I’m debating staying on LoR with how I’m treated. How it opened by eyes to Blizzard’s needlessly lazy and GREEDY job at keeping us there.

This being said, Hearthstone can’t die. It’s too perfect. It’s charming, it’s simple, it’s effective, fun, and addicting. Hearthstone will not leave, and i’m fine with that. We must all accept this. However,

There is a better option to all of us, now. Trust me, give it a shot. You have the power to push Blizzard in a direction so let’s take it.

And remember, everyone. Competition is always good for consumers.

Now is the best time we will ever have.

61 Likes

Have you seen the discussion video (with Scarra) regarding how play testers are treated by each side respectively?

7 Likes

I did. I took the time to watch them talk about it. t’s disgusting Blizzard doesn’t want to even pay professionals/streamers to test their games.

4 Likes

LOR have the benefit to learn from the market as it comes up with it’s game. HS is stuck with it’s design and huge changes is highly improbable.

With that, LOR if able to challenge HS’s market hold is/will be great news to players/consumers.

Recent months we have seen HS taking more actions. Let’s watch with caution.

Maybe it’s more important that Dev care more for their players? (not saying HS is doing a good job)

exactly, and LoR is doing both. The game is solid and polished, as well. Hearthstone is obviously too, but comparing the difference of how LoR treats players and how Hearthstone does is much different.

Hearthstone had a 6 year head start, and LoR is beating them in way, way too many aspects.

4 Likes

While HS has a head start, they also face challenges to change. Many do not see how changes can also ‘kill’ HS. (e.g. HS into HS2)

More importantly for HS is to identify where they can retain their identity in the market and strengthen it, while shoring up on their weakness.

1 Like

Being the motivation of this post I expect at least 50% of profits deposited into my account by Monday.

14 Likes

well, we’re up to 2 likes. so, uh, here.

edit: oh no

3 Likes

Give you 1 more. Do remember to donate 10% of proceed to a charitable HS forum poster of your choosing. :smiley:

Secret HS Tax Bureau deployed!!! (everyone get in here!)

1 Like

Im trying to upvote you multiple time for this but I cant. So I hug my monitor instead. I dont have money to throw to you via my monitor, so a hug it is.

Anyway, for blizz fans. If you trully love blizz, you must do something out of the box. Play other games from better developer.

Im saying this with the fact that diablo and warcraft as big part of my life. Blizz aint perfect. Maybe they was, but now they arent. The only way we make blizz become better is let them know that they must compete.

If we as blindly loyal fans keep pampering them, they will feel too comfortable. And that wont be good.

They arent making games out of love and passion like it was. They makin games out of profit (which is understandable). Then we need to teach them to start competing for the said profits.

15 Likes

The biggest and most meaningful difference between Hearthstone and Legends of Runeterra is RNG.

When you lose in LoR it’s pretty much because the other players deck played out better then yours did.

In Hearthstone far too often you lose because the other players random effects happen to be better then your random effects.

9 Likes

Not much of a different scenario with Steam and Epic.

One is the incumbent considered to have created their specific ‘product’ and therefore is king and sits on it’s laurels thinking that it has an unassailable position.

The other an upstart new comer turning the accepted incumbent model on it’s head and showing it up for the out of touch, out of date dinosaur that it is.

Even if you forget LoTR vs HS, think Blizzard versus Riot.

In the gaming sector - Being considered the top of something over any appreciable amount of time seems to lead to complacency, arrogance and laziness that - eventually - one day someone comes along and does it better.

Also see Humble Bundle/Fanatical.

And as AnonymAlts mentioned Diablo - Path of Exile.

Outside of gaming Nokia and Blackberry did the same and they now don’t really exist.

2 Likes

LOR I don’t know what’s interesting, I played I got to high ranked levels, but it doesn’t have the same challenge as hearthstone. :wink:

games ending after 2 players playing yogg of his box /mage prime are extremely rare

True, but games being won or lost based on lots of random effects (especially in Mage and Priest, and Rogue) is extremely common.

Noxus will rule this foreign land known as Azeroth.

Azeroth will fall!

Bow down before your new ruler, Swain!

True! HS does have pretty challenged players.

4 Likes

First of all I want to say a HUGE thank you for typing that up Cyclick, it couldn’t have been easy.

It was clear, concise, fair and you were mature about it. Many kudos to you sir.

I have been lately tossing up the idea of trying LoR. Part of me is sick of card games altogether. I haven’t been enjoying HS too much lately and I’ve only been logging in for the quest. The ranked system has an awful matchup system that I abhor right now and you’re right, $200 will only get you a set, but even that’s a stretch at best. It’s $180 AUD in my money and that’s only 145 packs (2 bundles). Even for someone who pays, even I HAVE to save up all my gold in between expansions plus buy the bundles. Add 10k for 100 packs brings it to 245 packs. There is no way a FTP player will get a full expansion set in time. Even then you need to use the left over dust to craft the missing few.

I’ll hang for the Solo Adventure coming in 2 weeks but I expect the same silliness from AI opponents. Perhaps I WILL try LoR in the meantime as I’m definitely not enjoying certain matchups right now as I’m currently auto conceding against 3 classes.

Thanks again for the information.

7 Likes

Of course you’d like Noxus.

Personally, I feel no connection to any region personally. The one that has dragons is the one I’ll stan.

Thank you very much. It was a painful endeavor but I was able to bust it out after a draft or two.

In my experience, LoR feels a lot more than a strategy game, rather than a card one. Very rarely does it feel… card like? idk how to describe it. I recommend it to you, really.

It is just silly how expensive Hearthstone is at it’s core. I’ll always cite me opening 220 DoD packs and still not even getting all the epics as a way to say that it’s probably at a breaking point.

4 Likes

Blizzard has always been lazy and complacent with its desing and quality of life changes.

It is disgusting.

They don’t even care about this forum.

7 Likes

I actually remember that post/thread. I believe I even commented. I’ll probably get some sort of natural hype for the second expansion but I’m really questioning the spending of that $180 right now. I know already gold alone won’t be much help (about 5 Legendary’s if you’re lucky out of 27 which you mentioned above) so I question myself daily, why am I bothering to log in for the quest? Shall I try something different?

I think I will.

1 Like