Is mercenaries trash?

I personally don’t think to highly of the game format, from someone who has invested at least 25 hours into the game. It feels really boring almost all the way through. It feels unrewarding, the downtime you have whilst playing is not fun. There is zero excitement moments in the format, I am deeply saddened that I have $25 bucks for the format. What a damn waste in my opinion.

Now what do you feel, if you like it tell me why? I am more than open to hearing positive feedback and listening to others share great moments. The problem is I have not had ANY, I mean zero. So please share away.

8 Likes

I really enjoy tactical RPGs, so I’m having a great time. I love challenging myself and trying out all the new combinations of Mercs I can. Giving myself little things like “can I make Uther fit into this Shadow comp”. While trying to find fun ways to earn coins for the few mercs I don’t have yet.

1 Like

Yes, and 20 characters

1 Like
  1. Tediously grind the same mission over and over
  2. ?
1 Like

I switch missions when I get bored. While grinding Heroic Air Elemental offers fastest pickup of Campfire Tasks, I’d rather do some harder Heroics to progress towards unlocking those Legendaries. Eg: beat Heroic Thaurissan today when just a few days ago I was struggling with regular Thaurissan. Got Heroic Corrupted Ancient down to under 15 mins. To be fair all the incremental upgrades are making it easier.

It’s a decent time waster. I’ve come to prefer something fun when I waste my time tho.

2 Likes

Im still giving it the daily challenges time…
The first thing that stinks is getting 2 useless daily visitors challenge every day.
The heroic battles are tough, very similar to traditional boss battles, but obv. a lot different… I would rather them figure out how to make the old boss battles great again…

Every battle is the same combo for me really… Big Taunt/heal >> Xyrella move 1 >> Samuro move 1. Many abilities seems worthless or imbalanced with cooldowns and stuff.
I suppose there will not be much replayabilty unless u want to level up a 6th man. I havent played PvP because I can imagine it wont be that good of a time one way or another.

1 Like

Most people just play the same few hearthstone decks over and over, I fail to see how its all that different. The different game modes fill niches, I personally dont care all that much for Pvp elements in games and have enjoyed all of the games single player content over the years. It needs work, for sure, and it needs content, but It has potential.

Unless you enjoy discouragement, I would avoid the pvp aspect of Mercenaries. With a pretty solid 6x Level 30 team that has done amazingly in the bounties, I’ve managed zero wins in pvp. The heroes needed for merc pvp are either a super hard grind, or open your wallet for packs/bundles.

I just toss them in and let them complete their quests while farming Barrens Heroic level 8 Air Elemental bounty for merc visit bonuses on the mystery spot on the map. Or, you can also just abandon the quest and try to fill the spot on the board with one from a mystery node.

sort of.

If I hadn’t played similar things like pet battles in WoW or pokemon, I might’ve had a higher opinion of it.

In a vacuum, I think it’s an enjoyable mode. Not super fun, but enough to come back to if you need a time waster. But that’s the problem - mercs doesn’t exist in a vacuum. There are other, better things to play if you’re looking for this type of game. And I don’t think this is fun enough to compete with other HS modes either. Simply put, there are better uses for your time both in HS and out.

2 Likes

what you need to win is by removing unnecessary weak but high level equipment,
and
maintaining optimal ability level to retain queue limit in your favor.

go ahead max out your stuff if you play the meta combination.

from your text, i believe your bad experience is something to be expected since you don’t follow simple guide above.

max out your weak mercenaries is basically placing “please bully me in fighting pit” text on your back.

Yes,… I agree. Awful.

1 Like

I am thoroughly enjoying it, and the game may have broken WoW’s hold over me.

1 Like

First off, let me say that I’m not dismissing your advice. It’s solid. If you could elaborate more on your statement about weak mercs, I’m interested in hearing.

Right now I’m using various teams based on combo, class, race, skill etc. I have almost all the mercs, that is not an issue. Team comps are not an issue for me.

Stacks of gold made it easy to get everything done quickly. This is why I am able to see the difference. I have obviously not invested a bunch of real money into it, so I lag in that regard. This early in the games lifecycle, you can easily tell who has invested and who didn’t.

They all get maxed out. It is a grind, but the coins are there if you’re willing.

My experience is because I played teams in PVP that were built around the ones that 99% of F2P players will have and seeing the results. I couldn’t care less about my rank or anything Merc PVP right now. Game is too young to be concerned.

The entire thing I said was I did it with 6xMerc that were a solid team. Not my best ones. I get my win, grab reward and move on. I should have clarified that I did it with starter and early acquisition mercs. That was my bad.

That’s funny. I went the complete opposite direction. I stopped playing WoW in 2019 and Mercenaries actually makes me want to jump back into WoW again. All the old lore characters take me back to my 14yrs playing that game.

Trying to challenge myself to do heroic instread of normal mode.

1 Like

Junkbot is not in Mercenaries yet, so I would say no. Hopefully the mode will live long enough to get mechs. If they make enough magnetic mechs, it’ll add some strategy since you could potentially get all six mercenaries out at one time. Of course that could mess you up in PvP if the mercenary team has a bad color matchup with no bench.

I’m enjoying the crap out of it. But I find enjoyment in weird things i guess. I did a mission and at the end I opened 4 boxes and got 10, 15, 15, and 10 millhouse manastorm coins. That was fun. Not that I need anymore millhouse coins at this point, but whatever.

Really, i just like trying to find all the merc combos that let you do crazy game breaking things. Like Thrall with doomhammer getting uber buffed by Rokana. Samuro is a good time if you get a windfury treasure, he’s just all over the place. Then the crazy shenanigans you can do with blink fox.

weak mercenaries are mercenaries without proper advantage on max out upgrade but still use-able on general.

for example anduin wrynn
he have huge advantage when 1 VS 1 without equipment.
to the point he can balance out damage with fighter on 1 vs 1 situation without equipment.

the best situation for him is level 3 penance, optional level 3 holy nova OR stay at level 1 holy nova and level 1 holy word salvation.

the reason is while maintaining lower ability level, this allow you to queue with other player with lower damage output which allow him to shine more brightly.

holy word of salvation almost totally useless by the way on max out team VS max out team.

this is why maintaining lower limit with anduin is better than max him out.

make sure other mercenaries also on lower limit and have advantage on lower limit.

the reason behind this is because the game queue you based on your situation.
removing equipment which give zero advantage is also advised.

wearing equipment with advantage is also optional.
it’s better if you can take level 1 equipment with important bonus.

you also can try to sneak out level 4 equipment, but to be honest it’s risky since you can’t downgrade equipment level and we don’t know how in-game queue pairing mechanic work.

make sure that equipment is super good which makes you want level 4 of it on lower limit queue.

edit : the game might pair you with slightly higher which makes limit queue feel bad, so make sure you have the advantage ready before queue.

1 Like

I thought it was ok at first and didn’t deserve all the negativity.

But it sure does become old very fast!

All there really is, is grind for no real purpose. I am already getting pretty bored with it.

3 Likes

It is fun for a while, then it becomes repetetive and unrewarding. It will not have any lasting audience.

1 Like