Is catchup packs enough to come back?

I want to get back to this game for a while, but i moved to a different continent (Australia) from EU and lost all the progress (not even sure how relevant it would be i haven’t played since 2017).

For a returning newbie is this pack enough to consider coming back ? What else is there if i don’t want to play constructed.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they don’t let you pick the region anymore. The new Twist format might be perfect for you if you’re able to access your collection somehow; it’s currently using cards that you probably have.

1 Like

You are still able to change region.

2 Likes

Just change the region to EU and you have access to your old collection.

In mobile it is under “switch account” and in PC you have to click the little globe over/next to play.

1 Like

From the article on Catch-Up packs, it states " A player with no current Standard collection who opens 30 Catch-Up packs will receive over 1,000 cards!" That is quite a lot. Granted, a huge portion of those cards will be commons and rares.

One nice thing that helps as well is Duplicate Protection which means you won’t get more than 2 of each common, rare, and epic until you have the complete set of them for each expansion (and then you get random duplicates). Also Duplicate Protection applies to each legendary.

However, there will be a Standard rotation in March/April next year, and the cards released in 2022 (Sunken City, Castle Nathria, and Lich King) will move from Standard to Wild.

Other Hearthstone game modes that are different from constructed: Arena, Battlegrounds, Mercenaries.

Added:
The Backbone of Standard is called the “Core Set” instead of the previous Classic + Basic. This is worth a read: https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23620129/introducing-the-core-set-and-classic-format . The Classic Format got replaced by the Twist format.

1 Like

Based on the reaction of many “got my tons of packs posts, quitting again” posts…this won’t either.

Because the underlying problems that drove people away in the first place are still present.

You can com people all the free nights and meals you want at a resort with steadily declining quality, but if you don’t fix the declining quality, people won’t come back, even if you offer free year’s worth of meals or stays.

If you value your mental health you won’t ever touch HS.

2 Likes

Unless of course, one wishes to build mental fortitude in the event a post apocalyptic or lovcraftian future occurs. In which case, the multiple daily bouts of sanity testing moments one encounters both in game and in defense of the questionable choices made in its development will beef up one’s mental toughness like working out gives one’s physical toughness.

: D

This is true. Can’t count how many Chinese players I’ve played against just tonight. How crappy must their servers be that they don’t play in their own region?

Not really. They’ll be a good jumping off point but ultimately if you want to actually play decks and climb ranked with them in standard, you will have to spend some money. It’s different if you’re coming into a new set with everyone else and getting rewards from the reward track (I’ve made around 7K-8K gold AFTER completing the Titans set), but with no saved gold, packs, and free cards you’ll have to spend money to round out your collection for legendaries and epics.

You’ll definitely be beholden to the RNG on legendaries determining the decks you’ll be playing coming in. One good thing about catchup packs is if you open them FIRST before buying new packs, duplicates from the packs you buy will be straight dust and you’ll probably be able to craft a few legendaries.