Implement Auto-Squelch Toggle

It’s exactly the same as manually squelching or simply ignoring your emotes. If you perceive those as rude, well then, it’s rude. It’s all in how you perceive it. When you see someone not responding to your emotes, you perceive it as rude. You don’t know why they’re non-responsive. You only see that they are ignoring you. I am not a social person with strangers. So I’m not going to be responsive. I’m not responsive in this game, just as I’m not responsive to strangers on a plane or subway or bus. I’m just quietly looking at my newspaper or phone and going about my business. The reason I am non-responsive is irrelevant because that reason is completely unknown to you.

Let’s not go down this path, ok? There’s no need to make things personal on either side of the argument.

Should have said squelching. And anyway, ignoring me when I say hello in our competitive match is just as rude. Whatever reason you have for not greeting your opponent in a duel is unacceptable. Now, if I act like a jerk, by all means, squelch me. I don’t even BM but, maybe I have a bad day. So squelch should exist, but auto squelching is just your way of being toxic.

2 Likes

I respect that you feel that way, and of course I can’t tell you how to feel about it. You feel how you feel. And I do acknowledge that some people might feel slighted when their emote does not get reciprocation. But surely you aren’t suggesting that I be required to emote back to you, right?

Really? Nothing at all could justify my choosing not to emote hello? Yikes.

So I should be forced to endure your emotes until you deem them jerkish enough such that I’m then allowed to squelch? I don’t ever want to endure such jerky behavior, so I almost always premptively squelch my opponent. That way there’s no chance of seeing your obnoxious emotes. I acknowledge that I’m missing out on a possible early game or end of game pleasantry.

Again, your issue is not with auto squelch. You issue is with me ignoring your emotes. You have no idea if you are squelched. All you know is that your opponent is non-responsive. It’s the non-responsiveness that irks you. I get that. And I acknowledge that my non-responsiveness bothers some people. But that has nothing to do with squelching (or auto squelching). If you aren’t squelched and I am just ignoring you, it has the exact same effect.

If we stop replying to this thread, we can simulate what autosquelch wants the game to be like, zero interaction with other people. So please, everyone stop replying to this child.

You are free to leave the thread at any time. While I like the conversation in the forums, I prefer not to have it during the match. And I even welcome opposing veiwpoints and comments, as long as you can keep them to the topic and avoid the personal insults. Please stop doing that.

And there you have it, zero grasp of reality.

They are using a unity engine.

That’s all I need to know.

It’s not a conversation with you, all you do is disagree with people with opposing viewpoints, with no counterpoint other than “my perception is of emotes is more correct than yours because…” This isn’t a conversation, it’s whining about a non-issue.

1 Like

Of course. And I try to explain why I disagree. And this is in the hope that some might be persuaded to change their viewpoint. Similarly, others have been able to help me understand some of the downsides of an auto-squelch toggle. One example being someone you sets it and forgets to turn it off. Another being a bit more abstract- that just knowing that a toggle exists might make some players feel that the game is less communal and more isolated.

So if you want to participate in a contsructive way, please feel free to offer a contribution. But leave the personal stuff out of it. Ok?

Is this Unity Platform somehow related to the reason why squelch falls off on mobile devices?

:heart:

It’s like I wrote it myself.

Or you’re plagiarizing an old post of mine.

1 Like

Until when Skruff?

You’re insinuating a barrage of BM emotes that come at you SO FAST that you are forced to endure a dozen of them before you can manually squelch.

Come on.

Good statement.

My issue has always been w/ preemptive squelching, manual or automatic is irrelevant.

I just find the behavior baffling, but I have learned it is not for me to judge the reasons why.

But I can still think it’s weird and rude.

Automating an already manual behavior isn’t going to change the “weird people” (no offense, I’m sure I am weird too, in fact I know I am lol, but I am addressing this behavior in this issue)

Finally got his dev answer saying no, posts anyways.

Why, Skruff?

So how many should I be forced to endure before it’s ok to squelch? To me, even one is enough to sour my game.

Ok. But from the opponents perspective, simply ignoring the emotes delivers the exact same effect of non-responsiveness.

Absolutely.

Precisely. And I know you mean no insult there, as I’ve come to know you through our history of discussion. I acknowledge that my reaction to emotes is different than that of most people. And that my reaction is such that it drives me to preemptively squelch may seem weird to some (weird in the sense of odd, not supernatural).

I believe that is the full quote from Liv on the question. And I don’t see the word “no” in there at all. Is there another post somewhere that I missed?

Furthermore, Liv’s comment does not even address the issue correctly. I have no objection to those who prefer to “communicate” with emotes. The issue is about those who have already decided that they don’t want to “communicate” with emotes. His response was a bit ignorant of the heart of the issue.

“It is still not something they want to do.”

That is your answer. You asked for an updated reason. You got one.

When will you accept that no means no?

2 Likes

That reason does not address the issue of those who are already opting out the emotes. All he said was that he doesn’t think the emote are very toxic, only a little toxic. That doesn’t address why they don’t want to automate a feature that people are already using all the time anyway.

It doesn’t need to. They felt that the statement they made was enough to address the issue without elaborating further, which serves as evidence that the group of people who “already opt out of emotes” by default are so small that they aren’t with implementing a design change for.

Go back and read the quote with an actual eye for context rather than only accepting your exact desired verbage for a “no”. That particular comment about toxicity was a dismissal of concerns regarding any toxicity in emotes. Once again, small enough of an issue/non-issue that it isn’t worth their consideration.

They don’t have to address why. They entire issue in and of itself is so incredibly low on their radar that it doesn’t register as anything worth addressing.

If they outright said the word “no”, you woupd require a reason why.

If they told you why (and they did, emote toxicity is a zero-priority “issue”) then you would require a more satisfying answer to your liking.

If rhey gave you that, you’d ask for it in writing, signed by all Blizzard staff with a hundred witnesses to verify that, and even then you’d still argue with it.

The thing to take away from this is that they felt their answer was sufficient in regards to a request for an autosquelch feature. It doesn’t matter why, because they make the decisions. It doesn’t matter if you feel they addressed it partially but left out current “auto-squelchers” because those people and their incredibly, incredibly niche preferences aren’t worth designing a feature around. Otherwise, it would’ve already been done!

1 Like

The first one.

It doesn’t take much to decipher whether you’re being emoted in a friendly manor or an obnoxious manner. You don’t need to be abused a dozen times to press squelch, nor do you “need to” just in case (although I guess thats “safer”)

Just because I am a rogue doesn’t make me a thief >.>

Okay, let me say that yes, you are technically right. My issue is with you being rude, not with auto squelch. However, I don’t want to mandate a system that requires you to be courteous, that would defeat the purpose of being courteous. That being said, I absolutely do not want a system that makes it EASIER for you to be rude. So, I am also against auto-squelch.

To make sure I am crystal clear, I have a problem with people being rude, I don’t want to force you to be polite, and I don’t want a system to make it easier for you to be rude.

1 Like

Stop being so self righteous about your auto squelch. You can’t even read what I write without warping it around this non essential problem.

The development of software includes bug fixing. Things like the animation bugs that come with every single expansion are highly visible, but there are hundreds of things being fixed and the auto squelch thing is NOT as high a priority. It is a very low impact bug, which I said before. It is zero surprise to anyone with experience in the industry that the higher ups don’t know about this low impact bug. Every problem should be fixed eventually, but we wouldn’t even have a game to play if they prioritized those fixes in the order that your hyperbolic offense to squelch dropping off after disconnects would demand. Things like reducing the app size, and the other quality of life fixes they made recently are WAY more important and WAY more impactful for both the HS team and for players.

Right now there’s a bug on iPhone where the screen gets totally blurry and you have to totally exit the game — stuff like that has to be fixed first because it directly affects the game. I mentioned unity because I’ve used it and I know the plethora of under the cover problems that come with it (along with other games that have been developed on it)

2 Likes