Implement Auto-Squelch Toggle

Could’ve squelched him at any point in the game though…

The monotony of doing this every single game is what players have an issue with. Does your volume reset every game? Does your deck back reset every game? Does your chosen hero reset every game?

AS is a very simple request and feature to add to the game.

But here we disagree. I don’t think you have to look at every possibility. Each of those cases should be evaluated on it’s own merits. And while I know you aren’t really upset by the hero explosions, my point in suggesting that you present it as feedback in it’s own thread was to illustrate that any of these ideas should be evaluated separately. They aren’t interrelated at all. But if someone really really doesn get upset by the portrait explosion, they absolutely should send feedback to the dev team. Same with the other notions you listed. And, in fact, many people do just that:

Countless threads on F2P vs P2W

See threads on giving the option to ban certain classes.

Plenty of threads on roping and punishing ropers.

Among the most frequestly seen threads.

In my case, I get just as annoyed with an obnoxious emote regardless of the outcome of the game. It’s the emote that triggers. And sometimes when it does happen, it does, in fact, cause me to put the game down when I’d otherwise continue playing. And that’s not good for the game. (And I know you mean a generalized “you”, I’ll just note that I don’t think I’m yelling at Blizzard, just inquiring and prodding).

I know. And I appreciate and recognize your position on the issue.

Why not? Why not come here and vent frustrations about the emotes?

Which is what we try to do. Sometimes we do forget and sometimes the squelch just falls off for no good reason. But all that goes away with the implementation of the toggle (along with all the complaints about the emotes).

That’s true. I squelch nearly every match to try to avoid the obnoxious emotes. Sometimes I have to squelch multiple times. We all get that we can squelch our opponents. Many people, like me, are squelching every match. What we’re looking to do is be able to set it once and leave it on until we decide to turn it off.

One of the most common sense things that have ever been said have been by Mr. Autosquelch.

They need to AT LEAST fix manual squelch to not drop off when the connection is lost. ( on mobile devices)

That has to be really aggravating.

blizzard loses nothing by implement auto squelch. the fact they havent is because they are troll company. same with tyrande and many other stupid decisions

1 Like

Well, for what it’s worth we did actually get an updated response directly from a developer on the topic in the Q&A.

Note: the last couple sentances are in reply to AS’s comment about it falling off on mobile. You can see the full thing in the link.

Whether any of us agree or disagree as players, that’s how Team 5 feels about emotes and being able to permenantly squelch them.

4 Likes

Finally this thread can die now that Team 5 has said that they won’t add the feature, whining won’t do anything now.

1 Like

I do honestly hope they at least fix this drop off. Seems like an easy fix.

Yes, they made a whole expansion around trolls, duh…

1 Like

This comment misses the point that many players are already squelching every match. I feel like the developers did not read the thread hisory or even the current thread or even the original post from the current thread. If they did, they’d realize that many players do not want this sort of communication. So they are squelching. Automating that changes absolutely nothing. Liv is saying that because HE is not bothered by emotes, everyone else should be forced to endure them or be forced into the tedium of squelching every single match. That lack of empathy is very disappointing.

edit: Obviously I’m quoting Wardrum who was quoting Liv Breeden. My response is to the dev’s comment, not my friend Wardrum.

I’ve put in multiple bug reports for this. And forum posts. And tickets. They’ve done nothing that fixes the problem. His comment suggests that he had no idea that this was a problem, which is very troubling. Not because he should be fixing it (that’s the job of the QA monkeys), but because it clearly means he’s not received any of the feedback from all these threads.

Where’d they say that? Go ahead and paste the quote. I’ll wait…

To be fair, I’ve seen that reported in the old bug forum as well. One would think the QA guys that perused that thread would’ve at least brough it up to them.

As a programmer myself, that bug is going to have a very, very low priority. With the number of bug fixes they have to do for the actual game… this one is being greatly blown out of proportion.

“Hearthstone doesn’t have a lot of ways to interact with other players. Emotes are one of the few ways to actually have some sort of communication. I’d say as far as toxic behaviors go, emotes are among the least harmful.”

That’s what a developer said when replying to you. They’re keeping emotes unsquelched as it’s one of the only ways players can interact. That’s your confirmation, auto-squelch ain’t happening, and your incessant whining isn’t going to change Team 5’s views.

Nothing in that statement says anything about not ever implementing it. And please stop with the personal insults. It’s not appropriate and not helpful.

Oh? And what is that number?

Maybe because you can’t read into what the person was saying here, let me spell it out for you.

“Hearthstone doesn’t have a lot of ways to interact with other players. Emotes are one of the few ways to actually have some sort of communication.” - This person is saying that since emotes are one of the only ways the players interact with each other, they are hesitant to essentially remove it by adding an auto squelch feature.

"I’d say as far as toxic behaviors go, emotes are among the least harmful.” - This is saying that they don’t think emoting is toxic, fundamentally disagreeing with your assessment of why people emote. They don’t think emoting is toxic behavior.

There, is that clear enough for you. Also calling what you’re doing on this thread whining isn’t a personal insult, it’s just describing what it is.

1 Like

It doesn’t remove it. People can still emote all they want. The only people who would be squelching automatically are already squelching anyway. They are already not “communicating”. Automating what they are already doing changes nothing.

Actually, no. They are saying that emoting is part of a set of toxic behaviors. And in his opinion, it is among the least harmful. Thus acknowledging that emotes are both toxic and harmful, at least to some degree.

Yes, it is. Please stop it.

1 Like

This is actually sad at this point. Look at what you’re writing, then look at what you’re replying to. None of what you’re saying makes sense.

“Actually what you said this means, actually means the exact opposite thing, and you’re wrong because…” I mean it’s getting ridiculous. The QnA today clearly showed that Team 5 doesn’t think auto-squelch is necessary so… that’s that.

Also, calling your whining whining is not a personal insult. And that reasoning is probably why you think emotes are so bad in the first place, because you think everything is a personal attack on you. It isn’t, you’re just sensitive.

So have fun with no auto-squelch I guess.

No, they are saying it is toxic, but as far as toxic behaviors go, it is not far up in the scale.

I guess it is ok to be toxic, as long as you’re on the lower bracket of toxicity. That is a weird statement.

It might make sense if they were considering adding squelch and not autosquelch but whatever, I’ve given up hope of seeing this feature in HS.

Gwent has it and I read here in the forums somewhere that Magic has it as well.

2 Likes

I like to say hi and good game every match. I think you pre-emptively blocking me without even saying hi back is rude. Wait, do we say rude anymore? Or do we call it “toxic” as if to imply that being rude can literally kill someone? If you want to squelch me, fine, but you should have to right then left click before you do, so you can have time to think about your unsportsmanlike behavior.

1 Like

How do you know I’m blocking you? Maybe I’m just ignoring you? The reason why you’re not getting a response to your emote is completely irrelevant since you have no idea what that reason is.

No. I’m saying what you claim his statement means is a misinterpretation.

It is. And you should stop it.

Precisely. Reminds me of Donald Trump claiming to be “the least racist person he knows.” That’s a weird (and sad) statement, too.

1 Like