[ICommon Mistakes] Common mistakes by Deck Builders

Hi all,
I have created a few series of topic such as [For Fun], [Let’s Play], [Class] Deck discussions, etc.

This year, I decide to create threads trending towards more competitive plays that could hopefully help players improve on thier current rank.

I will trial with a ‘mistakes’ series to explore what are the common mistakes players makes, on various theme.

Deck building can be both a very tedoius and rewarding aspect of the game. Since there are many articles on deck building, this thread will like to focus on the mistakes players make.

Feel free to contribute or ask questions.

(Helpful Readup)
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/player-guide-work-in-progress/

Note: Most of my contents will be primary focus on Standard Mode, thus I would miss some valid contents for Wild Mode.

7 Likes

Tracking this thread because Reaver, the reaver of reavers, is awesome.
And because learning something new is usually good.

3 Likes

i am confused. see title?

(Part 1)
Having seen a few threads by deck builders, I believe the no.1 mistake is the lack of understanding of Win Condition.

Good deck builders tend to be able to recognise what thier deck are supposed to do clearly. Some have memes in built or have a very stringent conditions requirement, but they recognised them and play in recognition of it. Thus, when losses occur, they are able to accept those losses.

Inexperience deck builders face frustrations when they fail on recognising the above.

Secondly, some builders may over extend on the “win conditions”, where making the deck to greedy and ignoring the basic core of how a deck operates.

Over extend on the “win conditions”:

1. too greedy with certain cards/mechanics/ weak balance
  2. weak win condition/ poor build up
  3. multiple win condition/ diversify too much
3 Likes
  1. too greedy with certain cards/mechanics/ weak balance

A functional deck generally need to balance between core cards towards a win condition, deck support cards, card draw, and situational cards.

Core cards

These are the cards that forms the backbone of what the deck is suppose to do.

Deck support cards

These are the cards that helps to strengthen the power of the deck

Card draw

The engine to ensure a continous flow for each tuen, and mitigate the downside of bad mulligan rng, bad draws, etc

Situational cards

These are cards that are included based on meta, etc.
Tech cards, removals* would fit into this category.

When we look at the few common ‘win condition’/achetypes, we will see the emphasis on each factor will be different.

• Aggro
  • Control
  • Combo
  • Fatigue
  • Mill

(to be continued…)

1 Like
  1. weak win condition/ poor build up
  • recognising your class strengths/weakness
  • recognising the synergy of your deck
    (to be continued…)
1 Like
  1. multiple win condition/ diversify too much

Multiple win condition deck may not aways be available in all meta, but they are usually quite dominate when available.
example: control/combo(otk) Razakus* may fall under this category where it can resort to either a more control playstyle or OTK when situation allows. (*need confirmation)

A single win condition usually result with a stronger deck, while diversify weakens it. Multiple win condition deck however can be more versatile, and can be equally potent under a strong player.

Thus, when Deck builders attempt to built multiple win condition decks, when the meta or tools does not support it, it can be very frustrating and unrewarding.

2 Likes

If you have every win condition, you can’t lose.
Fact.
/s

2 Likes

Is there a thread for mistakes during gameplay?

2 Likes

There was some at old forum. Because the coverage for ‘during gameplay’ is too wide, I do not have much idea how to go about that topic ATM.

As seen from this trial, participation has been not encouraging to further expanding to it.

i think my problem is the mana curve

still not sure how is supposed to be like
so i end up having to try to fix it after playing a few games with the deck

2 Likes

There is no standard rule for mana curve. All deck builders get the mana curve optimised thru trial/error, to suit thier own taste/comfort.

However there could be some guidelines or tips to take note of according to the built of choice.

Aggro and control deck tends to require more attention to it’s mana curve compared to the other achetype.

Common mistakes by deck builders?

Including in your decklist underpowered Classic Set cards for their mana cost.

5% winrate cards Such as:
Hunter’s Flare
Hunter’s Buzzard
Hunter’s Mark
Rogue’s Shiv
Rogue’s Prep
Warrior’s FWA
Druid’s Nourish, WG, and Innervate.
couple other overnerfs of the past too.

Hey someone had to say it.
Burn! (on the devs, not OP)

1 Like

It can be debatable where new players may require to use some of the basic/classic set.

The priority should be the suitability(fitting) to the deck’s purpose, and replacement with more powerful cards gradually.

Good stuff.
9 characters

1 Like

As many know, I am constantly fooling around with homebrews, some work, many more dont (despite how fun they are to play). In my experience regarding curve, the decks that tend to work better have 50%+ of cards costing 3M or less.

Like you say, there is no hard rule for mana curve, some deck can get greedier, its just my experience if you want your deck to (semi)succeed, most of the time you will want at least half of your cards in that 0-3M range, with maybe 4-5 max at 7M+

1 Like

I always appreciate you posts Reaver.

Some common mistakes I make are going to fully into a theme, and in some cases, not having a strong enough win condition

2 Likes

It can be very dependent on some of the factors I listed above.

Taking the Quest Priest list, I see they can manage to have
0-3mana : 8 cards
4mana : 5 cards
more than 5mana : 17 cards
It being a control list.

now, we look at Highlander Rogue
0-3mana : 13 cards
4mana : 3 cards
more than 5mana : 14 cards
(mid-range?)

Face Hunter
0-3mana : 26 cards
4mana : 3 cards
more than 5mana : 1 cards
(aggro)

0-3mana : 18 cards
4mana : 4 cards
more than 5mana : 8 cards
(zoo)

Interestingly, we can see a small representation at 4mana range across multiple achetype. As we look back at our own list, we can better comapre and discuss the mana curve and how it affects the potency of it.

Sometime, it is a choice and passion, not a mistake.

It can be very dependent on some of the factors I listed above.

Taking the Quest Priest list, I see they can manage to have
0-3mana : 8 cards
4mana : 5 cards
more than 5mana : 17 cards
It being a control list.

That’s the thing about the ressurrect mechanic. You CAN"T run many low cost cards because ressurecting weak bodies completely invalidates the archetype. It forces you to fall behind early and then catchup later. Otherwise you would just be staying on par in the early game and then run out of firepower in the late game with no way to close it out. The win condition of this deck is to ressurect big bodies, so you’re forced into a high mana curve.

I’ve seen highlander mages with 14 cards that cost 6 mana or more too. A mana curve doesn’t have to be low, but the higher it is the more powerful the cards need to be to justify running them.

3 Likes