How do we mute or ignore forum participants?

There are a couple of very active forum participants who I have no interest in reading.

how do I mute them so that their posts or threads they start are hidden from my sight? thanks

1 Like

Click your Profile icon in the top right, and select the third tab indicated by a person icon.

A dropdown will appear with “Preferences”. Click this to navigate to your forum profile.

Somewhere on the left you’ll see Users which offers you to either ignore or mute them.

1 Like

Just click their avatar. On the top right of their profile is a drop-down marked Normal. Change this to Muted to mute notifications from this user, or Ignored to hide their posts.

Some user profiles are hidden. What you’ll have to do here to open your own profile from the top right avatar dropdown, click the third tab (Person icon), then click Preferences. From here, click Users on the left, then you can search for the user to Ignore or Mute.

1 Like

Thanks. Searching on username was straightforward, but the search on time threw me. Just start typing ‘One year’ to get that.

Goodbye, fine person, and your personal habit content-free posts that aren’t deleted soon enough!

Except… It… doesn’t really work. The body of the posts are labelled ‘ignored content’, but the threads a muted user starts still show up.

So the muted content body gets edited and corrected and will still be muted content, the thread headline created by the muted user is still visible, and now I’m just wondering what the post was about. This is NOT muting. (added note: ignore means a different thing to this interface. see later)

I can’t killfile fine person.

1 Like

Muting a user simply prevents private messages and notifications from that user (you’re notified when someone mentions you or quotes a post of yours). You’ll need to Ignore a user to suppress their posts.

Or you could simply not read their posts.

1 Like

Ah, IGNORE a user is: go to their ‘View Activity’ oage, click the dropdown at top right opposite their icon on the left, select the bottom option: ignore. (other options are: normal and mute).

Much more what I was hoping for, thanks!

Easier than using preferences, where you can look at your mute list, edit it, and set periods.

edit; but if their user activity is marked as hidden for some reason, you’ll have to enter their username in the search boxes for mute and/or ignore in your preferences. As Brknsoul said above…

1 Like

Right above the Mute section is the Ignore section.

https://i.imgur.com/hNYrTan.png

I believe I owe you an apology. I’m back on the wagon and am taking changing my negative personal habits very seriously. So far, I am about one month sober. It’s a start, and I’m dedicating myself to avoid partaking in said personal habits. I assure you, I will definitely try to do better, for myself, and others whom I bothered with my prior nonsense. We all need a reality check, sometimes, and so I appreciate your honesty and helping me to open my eyes to my extremely poor behavior.

I hope you can find it within yourself to forgive my less than stellar history on this forum. My intention is never to cause rifts, and yet I realize that I do while under the influence.

Again, my sincerest apologies to you, specifically, @ChallengeMe, as well as all other users tired of my escapades. It won’t happen again.

As for my “content-free” contributions, I will work on that as well. I often use this forum to have friendly chats with other users here, and so oftentimes lazily fail to contribute as I should, in the past, and presently.

Lastly, if you cannot forgive my poor behavior, I understand completely and, again, I am very truly sorry.

:relaxed:

And I’d like to say that I will insert more constructive takes in my comments to the best of my ability from here on out.

Lastly, I have to apologize one more time. No one here deserves having to deal with with my faults that you’ve made clear as day.

Thank you ever so kindly for pointing out my faults on this forum as well as outside of it that heavily contribute to my intoxicated comments and topics.

To all other players here, you have my thanks for your patience, understanding, and your empathy.

4 Likes

You read everything, knowledge is power!

3 Likes