How do we know we aren't playing against bots

If programs like ChatGPT can analyse billions of lines of text, and fool people into thinking it’s a real person, what is stopping a bot from analysing millions of HSReplay games.

4 Likes

I am no expert but my take is that you probably can’t know. However, if there was an AI that truly played HS for you (and I mean truly playing, not roping and pressing hero power like bots do), everyone would know this exists. Even if an AI was playing the game right now it would just be in 1 account; so if most people don’t know about it, chances are you have never played against an AI.

But again, I have no idea about AIs or computer science so that’s just a guess.

1 Like

I don’t care.

2 Likes

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that I’ve played against many bots. Every time I queue wild for a day, I’ll see at minimum 1 bot. Last night I played about 10 games and faced 2 bots.

I am now at the point where I toy with the bots and have fun with them.

I’m really contemplating building a deck that is designed to confuse them so I can break the program.

3 Likes

I love the idea of an AI that’s learning to play by analysing the games of the wider Hearthstone community :smiling_face_with_tear:

Maybe M3gan plays Hearthstone…

I’m absolutely 100% certain that i played vs at least 4 bots., 3 warriors and 1 mage on silver ranks.

So yes, they absolutely do exist, but they’re dumb and can’t climb far🤣

ChatGPT would be horrible at playing any game. Its not specialized for it.

That said, I might blow your mind here.

Have you heard of AlphaStar the AI? It was let to play StarCraft in the wild and challenge top players in the GM category all the time on regular ladder; and it was never labelled to be a bot.

So, what you wrote has happened for OTHER blizzard games lol. Just not hearthstone, AFAIK.

Here is some more info directly from Blizzard why they let a BOT play players in one of their games without the players’ knowledge. https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/22933138/deepmind-research-on-ladder

Q. Why is AlphaStar available to play on Battle.net?

A. Experimental versions of DeepMind’s StarCraft II system, AlphaStar, will soon play a small number of games on Battle.net for a limited time as part of ongoing scientific research into artificial intelligence. We’re excited to offer our community a chance to contribute to this process by playing against AlphaStar in a small number of blind trial games that will allow DeepMind to benchmark its agents.

Q. Why is AlphaStar playing anonymously?

A. DeepMind is currently interested in assessing AlphaStar’s performance in matches where players use their usual mix of strategies. Having AlphaStar play anonymously helps ensure that it is a controlled test, so that the experimental versions of the agent experience gameplay as close to a normal 1v1 ladder match as possible. It also helps ensure all games are played under the same conditions from match to match. DeepMind will release the research results in a peer-reviewed scientific paper along with replays of AlphaStar’s matches.

1 Like

But you cared enough to say you don’t care. Interesting.

Omg… lol, She probably does. :slight_smile:

There are a lot of bots that are also in Diamond, and I would imagine there are bots in Legend as well. Just like other games, there are serval types of hacks. I’ve seen more bots in Wild than in standard. I sat through countless hours of bots that roped, and while sitting there bored out of my mind, I payed attention to how they interacted with the board, and began to notice patterns, that would repeat and become predictable. Look at the leaderboards for Mercenaries, MR AWESOME is ranked 1 on all three servers. And when you look at their game play, they play all the time 24/7, Humanly impossible. Zeddy did a video on it. Even Blizzard uses bots for players to go up against when they are working their way to bronze for the first time. When you do solo adventures, what do you think your playing against? Book of heroes, those are all bots.

1 Like

While rank floors do make it possible to hard grind to Legend given infinite time, monthly rank resets mean there isn’t infinite time. If you can’t get your bot to at least 35%, and more comfortably 40% winrate in Diamond 4-1, then that bot isn’t making Legend. Even if you keep it on 24/7/365.

Oh and that 35% would mean you’d have to teach your bot to play fast. Really fast.

Soon, with AI, you likely won’t be able to either. Heck, its even possible game devs might lose their jobs from AI.

How do you know the forum posters aren’t bots?

An AI could learn to play hearthstone no problems. You’d need a business case and probably a decent amount of funding to make it competitive.

1 Like

Obviously, and the same is true for any real player. However, there are bots that run aggro decks. That perform well. In standard there are bunch of Aggro Druid bots, they are so easy to spot because the sequence in how they and interact with the board/cards and sometimes the very way in which they paly the cards.

However, this is 2023, programing a bot to do something isn’t hard for those who know how to do it. Look at diablo 3, heck even diablo 2, there are farming bots where you set it and it just farms for legendries all day long, and they go fast, really fast. In Overwatch there was the Mercy Bot, where she would pocket heal 1 player, and there are a ton of other hacks that are pretty impressive but still negatively impact the game, that requires extremely fast activation. Like the Rein Shield hack.

I was in Overwatch competitive match once, where the entire enemy team were bots, and it was the most confusing match because they all ran out the same side and just stood there. I still don’t understand what the purpose of that was, perhaps they were programing them or whatever, or testing it out.

There are self driving cars, there is technology that can manipulate things in ways that would probably blow our minds. I mean if you look at AI technology and theory, it started in the 50’s.

Programming something to perform a task that was supposed to be entertainment for a real human being is just sad and reeks of neglect just for the sake of pride, envy and vanity or greed, or sloth.

2 Likes

Beep boop. i mean yeah ikr?

1 Like

Why do they need bots? What devious purpose could they achieve? Fluff the play rate of certain classes and decks? Bolster a declining population of players? What good can possibly come from that?

I think players make bots to grind gold and free stuff while they are away at work or something. Not entirely sure, but the bots do exist. One needs only go into wild and see a few Pirate Rogue players in the Diamond to Legend area and it becomes pretty obvious.

For a real player you’d need to add about 5% winrate. Real players need to eat, sleep, etc. Can’t grind as hard. It’s a similar situation, but not quite the same.

Even then, I think it’s much more difficult to program a bot that can win 40% of the time against Diamond opponents than people are acting like it is. The skill is rare enough that it’s impossible for it to be over 0.1% popularity without black market activity, which means even relatively trivial anti-bot efforts on Blizzard’s part could attack identical versions, effectively shutting it down.

I think the vast majority of “I played against a bot” claims were actually just playing against humans. You know what’s, for better or worse, much more common than a Hearthstone bot? Someone trying to play Hearthstone while driving. Human beings act weird (because they are weird) and it’s a critical error to think that your opponent is a bot just because they act weird…

…especially at high ranks. No, Schyla. Just no.

1 Like

It’s not difficult, when I use to code with C+, you write the conditions into the code for whatever it was that was being programmed, it follows a algorithm, checking agasint the permeameters that have been set. And yes, Blizzard does do what they can to combat this, however, botting is still very much an issue with Hearthstone.

Like I mentioned earlier, all you need to do is look at Mercenaries. Mr AWESEOM is Ranked 1 in Asia, Eu, and NA. It’s a bot at the top of the pvp ranking system.

Playing Hearthstone while driving, or doing anything while driving is massively stupid and people definitely shouldn’t be doing that. The safety of a human life is worth more than playing some silly digital card game.

2 Likes