HoF baku and genn solves nothing

Huh, okay. Just according to meta snapshot it’s still in tier 4. Oh well.

I have to say that I kinda agree. Blizzard dumping overly strong cards in wild is no solution. It will sadly eventually make the mode unplayable.

It’s solving the problem for Standard. That was the goal.

Of course they can become problems in Wild in the future. I don’t play Wild myself so I don’t know how popular/dominant Even/Odd decks are there. But from what I have heard they’re not out of control.

We can start talking about potential nerfs/changes to the cards when they do become real problems.

You never could in the old ones either.

Have a Snickers and possibly lie down for a nap. It’s gonna be okay :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They will continue to reign supreme as new cards are introduced. The decks only get stronger and stronger more than any other decks because half of all cards are “contenders” and potential pieces that could go in the decks.

This isn’t the same as say Big Priest where Big Priest only benefits from removals/big minions/res spells. All other decks will only benefit from very few cards introduced each expansion whereas Genn and Baku will have potential benefits from every single card released.

However, all of this could be completely nullified with the introduction of a tech minion that would paralyze the deck(s).

We just have to wait to see if such a minion is introduced. If not, there is absolutely no reason to believe Genn and Baku will not remain on top.

Think about this…Genn and Baku are SO oppressive to future design they had to retire the cards an ENTIRE YEAR earlier than they wanted. No other cards have had this kind of treatment.

2 Likes

It will be an issue long-term. We probably won’t see a problem in the next few years.

Go play wild and tell me how many genn or baku decks are dominating it. Because I don’t find it dominated by those decks at all. They’re strong sure but not the most insane thing out there. Even shaman see’s some play there and I see a very strong version of odd paladin there but really that’s about it. odd mage is kinda just a weaker reno mage or secret tempo mage deck in wild. Genn and baku aren’t going to take over wild without some extremely good cards accidentally bumping up existing synergies getting printed.

3 Likes

What?

The top 4 decks in wild, per VS:

Odd Rogue
Even Shaman
Odd Paladin
Even Warlock

This was before the nerfs but still…they are clearly relevant and are still doing very strong.

I don’t know what to tell you but I find that hard to believe I have a much harder time with various demon cube, reno, pirate rogue, secret tempo mage etc. the odd paladin deck I think is solid but I really don’t find even shaman in wild to be that hard to fight off since the nerfs. Odd rogue to me kinda sucks in either format anyway. I have not run into and an even lock in wild that wasn’t just mecha’thun and there’s plenty of strong aggro decks in wild to offset that.

Ehh… some were nerfed into oblivion in a similar fashion, to get rid of them. Small-Time Buccaneer was probably the last card nuked for pure power and done so to the point of no return… potentially Giggling Inventor but I think that was less about power and more about how common it was.

2 Likes

That was before the nerfs though…

1/2 were nerfed (Even Shaman, Baku Rogue).
Odd Paladin is a REALLY rare sight in Wild and I leveled all the way to r3 last month from r15 and saw maybe 3, heh.

I think you’ll see the tier 1 in Wild now be:
Kingsbane Aggro Rogue
Even Warlock
Cubelock
Even Shaman
Control Priest

That is my guess based on HSR and what I am seeing.

1 Like

Wild hasn’t recently been dominated by those cards, at least post nerfs. Even Shaman and Odd Rogue were two of the most consistent Wild decks and both were taken down a bit by the changes to Flametongue and Cold Blood.

For now, we want to check out what perception and data looks like post expansion launch and see where the Wild meta lands.

21 Likes

Thats fine, I’m happy to play the “wait and see” game for Baku & Genn, but what about Barnes? Any update you could provide in that regard?

I understand your reasoning for Big Priest to exist, but as per your recent interview on Value Town, you are also aware the deck can function just fine w/o Barnes in the mix, so why so much resistance to change one of the most complained about cards in the format?

Remove the high/low roll factor from BP and its a much more tolerable deck to face. Especially when the highroll happens so early in the game.

7 Likes

Problem with baku and genn is that they only get stronger as new cards get released. We had 3 expansions with them and they were found problematic while T5 was carefull about the cards that got released and while T5 even made nerfs to mana cost having in thought of these 2 cards.

Now that T5 wont care about them anymore imagine what sort of decks will be created in wild mode. I give the baku and genn bomb almost 1 to 1.5 year time to explode. But i guess its wild so who cares? I mean Barnes (which is even worst design) has escaped all the nerfs.
Another lazy solution from our favourite designers thinking of the ‘‘now’’ and not of the ‘‘tomorrow’’.

Except Genn and Baku do literally nothing in the Wild format. In fact they are really bad cards to play in that format.

Bowser is the police.

I click the Blizz tracker and it jumps to him.

He’s undercover so hide your stuff.

That isn’t necessarily true. While Genn/Baku get access to more card they might also have a higher (or similar to now) opportunity cost with foregoing synergy cards.

As long as the cost remains roughly equal to what it is now they’ll be part of the meta but not the dominant part of it. My hope is they can be part of the meta of Wild as I think when they’re ‘uncommon’ they are not detrimental to gameplay but they are another option.

Genn has two strong decks in Even Shaman (still) and Even Warlock. Baku has a few good options in Baku Warrior and Baku Rogue (still) but, interestingly enough, Genn has been the overall bigger issue in Wild and Baku in Standard.

3 Likes

Time will tell but i wouldnt bet my money on this…

I wouldn’t either in all honesty. Eventually the dev team will either forget about Genn/Baku, not foresee the possibility, or not care and Wild will (hopefully) force another revisit of Genn/Baku.

4 Likes