Highlander decks using ETC to play duplicate

Moving Pictures is among the most iconic Rock and Roll albums of the 80s and, quite possibly, of all time. Prove me wrong.

My Mount Rushmore of iconic 80s Rock albums:
1: Rush - Moving Pictures
2: Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
3: Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain
4: Van Halen - 1984

What’s yours?

1 Like

Even though I regularly use ETC in my deck, I agree with OP.

The gist of Highlander is only 1 card per each card. That is what it is intended to be by design. The card ETC comes in later expansion, and because of developers laziness or something we do not know, it violates the deck concept.

Every card, put in the deck initially and intentionally by a player when building a deck, should follow the rule of Highlander.

People may argue that those 3 cards were put inside another card, not in a deck. This excuse is just playing with words. Deep down inside, everyone knows that these cards is available to be discovered because a player decide to put them there. Unlike Discover mechanic that usually offers 3 random cards, ETC offers 3 predetermined options.

By adding this regulation, a Highlander deck power would be toned down a little bit.

1 Like

I mean, by that logic we should also ban all discover cards, Zola, fizzle, brewmaster, etc., from highlander because that lets them use multiple copies of things as well!

ETC is hardly an issue with the game. The card isn’t even particularly good when people stack it with various tech cards.

2 Likes

Can you call it a loophole to play 2 copies of the same card in a Highlander deck when 1 of those cards costs 4 more mana.

1 Like

Brewmaster and Zola:

They work only with minions, not spells or locations. More importantly, you had to draw and play the target and it had to stay on the board, before you can bounce it.

Fizzle:
It requires both luck to draw the blue print and space on your hand to expand them.

ETC is not problematic but it is not logically consistent with the concept of Highlander.

1 Like

And fizzle also lets you get multiple copies of high powered legendary highlander payoffs.

ETC allows you to get maybe 1 duplicate, but most people use it to store their tech cards. It’s not even logically inconsistent because the cards aren’t in your deck. You can not get start of game effects from things in ETC.

The card is perfectly in line with highlander. The card barely has a purpose outside of highlander, as you’d generally just run the card you want in your deck, and putting a 4 Mana premium on your viper is dumb. There are lots of ways to get multiple copies of things in highlander already. This is just a discover card with some forethought.

2 Likes