Highlander decks using ETC to play duplicate

How the hell is this allowed?

Why the hell it shouldn´t be allowed?

9 Likes

The sideboard is not part of the deck. That’s why players can play dublicate cards with ETC.

2 Likes

Wow another thing Highlanders exploit

There hasn’t been a single second in the game where a duplicate card has entered the deck
There are many ways to play duplicates in a “no duplicate in deck” decks

Read the card?
Reno: if you have no duplicates in the DECK…
ETC: puts card from outside your DECK into your HAND.

How is this hard to understand?

1 Like

I would agree with this. Although, one could make the argument that during deck creation, if you put a second copy of a card into ETC, the card gets highlighted saying that you have two copies in the deck and can’t put another one into it.

7 Likes

Not like they couldn’t close this loophole easily enough. Just treat the additional cards as part of the deck to begin with. Whether they actually do it is another story…seems like more incompetence on the coders’ part than anything.

1 Like

This also works with Genn and Baku. You can have odd/even cards in ETC and they still update hero power.

2 Likes

What loophole? What incompetence? The interaction is intentional…

Here are some rules for sideboard in Hearthstone. Granted, it is taken from Hearthstone Wiki, so I am not sure how much official it is.

• The player can add any 3 cards to this sideboard, following regular deck-building rules, such as:
    • Cards in the sideboard cannot exceed the 2-copy (1 for legendaries) rule when combined with the main deck.
    • Death Knights must follow their chosen Rune types.[2]
  • In-game, cards in the sideboard are not considered to be in the player’s deck. This allows certain deck-related effects to be used in situations they normally couldn’t be used in, such as including odd-cost cards in a deck with The WitchwoodGenn Greymane or Holy spells in a deck with United in StormwindDarkbishop Benedictus.[4]
3 Likes

In most games a side deck is part of the deck. You’re not allowed to have more copies in it than are allowed altogether. As pointed out, even in this game it goes by that rule. You are not allowed to have a 3rd copy in E.T.C., so it isn’t consistent. Obviously the sideboard is part of the deck. They are cards literally in the E.T.C… So yes, this is a cheat.

Dude, I´ve just quoted how it works in Hearthstone. I really don´t know what else to say. No wonder there are so many “it is rigged” nuts around…

3 Likes

When your deck is checked, there is one copy of ETC at the start of the game, so it passes the rules check. The other cards don’t exist yet because you haven’t picked which one you want. Only ETC is in the deck.

When you PLAY etc, you DISCOVER one of the three cards to add to your HAND.

The card is never in your deck ever. You make a discover pool for the card, but the actual cards aren’t “in” ETC, they are in his band to be discovered.

It isn’t a cheat. Kick rocks, get gud, or whatever you want to put here.

7 Likes

Bottom line no matter what’s in the ETC band it’s a waste of a slot

It is absolutely a cheat. Get gud at logic and consistency. I personally don’t care. But the fact that you can’t put a 3rd copy in it proves it is cheat.

This.

The ETC cards aren’t in the deck, it’s just a curated list of discovers on 1 card that follow deck building restrictions so you can’t guarantee a second copy of a legendary in your deck.

It’s not really a cheat in any sense. You can’t even put start of game effects in ETC because they aren’t in the deck and thus would do nothing.

Plus, 2/3 of the cards are never in the deck because you only get to discover 1 of the 3 unless in Brann warrior and you get 2.

1 Like

It’s a contradiction. You’re saying it follows deck building rules, but isn’t part of your deck. K. Cool. Still inconsistent and a way for Highlander to cheat in a second copy.

1 Like

I’m just asking for a little change.
But not I’m the bad guy for calling it out while all of you whined for months for them to make it so plagues don’t screw you up now look at the meta is toxic highlander control decks and the aggro mess that’s trying to beat you.
Now I’m asking for them to revert the change on the highlander cards so plagues and now bombs shut it off.

2 Likes

Most games are not hearthstone.

The hole in your argument is that ETC isn’t a Common part of the deck(one any deck has). There are decks who not run ETC.

So no. ETC isn’t a sideboard and hearthstone has no sideboards.

ETC is a card with the effect of discovering a card of a pool outside of your deck that you made before the match started that you can or not use in your deck.

People should stop calling ETC a sideboard because it isn’t.

2 Likes

In that logic discovering highlander cards while you use whizbang should count since he’s the only card in your deck