Hearthstone Mercenaries Bug Compilation - 25.4

Oh, I see.

On the other hand, your collection is impressive :+1: as is, considering how you’ve chosen to test it all personally. That’s quite a bit of work for one person, and I’m hoping for the situation to improve in the future.

I’ve been trying to play mostly for fun and somewhat casually, that’s how I discovered some of the bugs mentioned above — for example, when a visitor task incentivised me to do some of these older bounties.

I’m not very good at video making myself, so to speak, but if I find something, I’ll post it here.

I think it might be a bit random, and tasks for heroic bounties have generally been more rare. I think I’ve had some quite recently, but I don’t recall when exactly it was. I’ll keep an eye out for it and post it if I get a counterexample.

I’ll let you know if I get counter examples :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, just remembered one more thing: Mercenaries task completion voice lines gone .

This change has been recognised as a bug by the support, according to that poster, so I thought it worth mentioning here.

PS StarGust, what do you think about the bugfix of Neeru’s Implosion? I think it has fired three time at a single target (at least as of 25.0, haven’t tested it with hotfixes), as opposed to firing three times at random targets, as some people would expect. The wording there is a bit ambiguous — it’s unclear whether it should choose a random target and fire three times at it or shoot three times, each time at a random target.

I appreciate it. I feel like I’ll stick around until the next drop, maybe do some bug searching with the new mercs and decide whether I’ll stick around from there. Best case is that by that time a post like this will be less of a necessity.

To me it seems like more of an oversight. I have no idea where the voices would even appear as I believe the screen is completely different now. It’s more like an achievements section now. I’ll list it though under UI.

There’s no wording to compare it to at the moment. Agreed that it’s ambiguous, but it can be rationalised as intended based on wording alone. Any other effects that deal damage to random targets multiple times use the “repeat x times” phrasing such as Lokholr and Kazakus. Additionally the lack of a comma before “3 times” makes me want to lean towards intended.

Otherwise, have you considered the possibility of someone else (or the community in general) continuing your work? Would it be OK for you if someone took this up, should you decide to take a break?

Not so different, come to think of it: it’s essentially another tab of the same screen (camprife interface), where you can see your current task or claim rewards for a completed one, and that’s where the sound would play previously when you clicked on a task.

Good point.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind at all. I’ll see how things shape up during the next drop and whether I’m still finding the experience to be mostly unenjoyable for me. In the case that this does happen I suppose this post could be retitled to state that its outdated, locked down, and a new post by someone willing to put in the time could be created to take its place. I won’t speak too soon about leaving it behind me, but I’ll accept that as a possibility and just hope others will understand in the case that I do.

I was referring to the actual task screen itself, but I may be wrong about it. It’s hard to tell. The audio returning would certainly be nice either way.

From few days Garona stopped working in PvP, the 8 speed ability deals no damage to an adjacent enemy.

My apologies, I completely forgot about all those timelines… :grinning: Fortunately, I’ve got some records, such as this: Onyxia (Heroic) with Tyrande, Cairne and Varden . So, visitor task for Heroic bounties are still there, they’re just more rare.

I have no way of confirming this one as I don’t have any tasks left, but from what others have said, it’s believed that the last party you take into PvE is the team used for tracking task progress in PvE.

I think it’s every time for Neeru, Banehollow and Ahune, which unlock Felwood, Winterspring and the other zones up to The Sunken City respectively. As for Darkmoon, — don’t remember what unlocks it, possibly something in Felwood; I remember seeing that pop-up, but don’t remember after which bounty.

Some recent ones that I’ve encountered:

Bug with Chromie & Scabbs Cutterbutter.
Scabbs´ 2nd ability Wicked Stab always proc DMG increase on Chromie´s 2nd ability Reading Chromie, even when Wicked Stab speed 3/6 is cast.

I believe that’s because of a ‘hidden’ speed value of abilities that let you choose or discover an option, and this one has already been described here:

On another matter, while I’m at it and don’t feel like creating another desolate topic: while on a bounty map and loading a merc fight where Chi-Ji is present, you’d hear his death sound. Took me a while to notice where that would come from and under which circumstances, but I finally remembered to write it down here.

Oh yeah that ones an old one. It’s specifically when his baby skin is used, and I’m pretty sure it also when he’s used by a player.

It is indeed. Sometimes they get fixed silently, like that one apparently was at some point, but this one’s still present — encountered it recently, if memory serves.

Possibly…

Not sure about that: done something with a Chi-Ji centred party recently, and this wasn’t happening all the time. Or do you mean that Chi-Ji’s gotta be present in the party for the bug to trigger? I’ve had some suspicions about that, too, but can’t confirm it definitively.

PS A bit off-topic, but still, wanted to ask you something: have you, by chance, got any data about this particular interaction: Mercenaries: cannot be critted vs guaranteed crit ? In PvE, I don’t think I’ve managed to test anything else, other than what’s written down there…

Definitely. It’s been around since Chi-Ji was added. Even tested it before I added it to the list just to make sure.

What I mean is that the bug is not limited to AI and can be activated by a player. You will notice that whenever you do get this bug, it’ll be with the Chi-Ji baby portrait. As mentioned all you need to do is equip the baby portrait and when you play him you’ll hear both his play sound and death sound at the same time. I’m not positive on the next part, but I think his death sound may also not play when he dies, but I don’t know for sure.

It’s been a while but I’ve definitely had situations where I have Saronite Armor and an enemy uses an ability which “always crits” or “forces crits”. From all the abilities that I’ve seen they still do not crit. Bleed may not have been changed to “not be able to crit” as advertised and may actually just be dealing neutral damage, which of course can crit just fine. There isn’t a good way to test this theory just yet but perhaps when the new mercs are dropped we’ll get some abilities that will help with science and we can more deeply analyse it.

I’ll try to look into it, thank you. Probably never played with that portrait myself, since it’s not my favourite one.

The weird thing with the bounty map is that the sound is played even before the actual fight is loaded, which can be unsettling if it catches you off-guard.

Basically, the one I’d test is Diablo or Brann vs Mutanus with an Irridescent Necklace.

In theory, could be anything — even bleed being a status effect, rather than something credited to a particular mercenary — given that it’s also stackable, that’s how I would do it (especially given that it must also ignore any kind of spell power). Could be tested with Murloc Holmes, by the way, although reguires a tricky setup with PvP.

Speaking of bleeding — reminded me of another old bug in a specific bounty, namely Nefarian (I would do it on Heroic), although it might be actually more of an end-of-turn thing. If you’d remove all the blue minions from the first stage at the end of turn by bleeding, then the second stage would be bugged, and only one ‘add’, instead of all three enemies, including Nefarian in his dragon form, would be summoned, if memory serves. I was thinking this could be tested again at some point — actually, if you haven’t done it, it can be quite fun. The idea is to use the following party:

Summary
### Nefarian
# 
# Elise Starseeker
# 	 - Oasis Canteen 4
# Brann Bronzebeard
# 	 - Relic of Uldum 4
# Gruul
# 	 - Dragon's Skull 4
# 
CMr/1lcSCE5lZmFyaWFuGAEiJQoLCP8CEI8DGKQFIAEKCwj1AhD/AhiSBSAACgkIGRDOARg2IAEoCQ==
# 
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

(you can add any other three for climbing, if you want to, although these can do ordinary fights, i.e. against native Blackrock opponents on that map, too). During the boss encounter, you’d put these three mercs on the board, stack fire resistance, then summon the Golden Monkey (remember to leave room for it, so you can have one additional Dragonmaw Poacher for maximum effect) and literally spank (with the Trusty Whip, as well as other skills) the enemies at the second stage — it’s quite hilarious. The dart trap, however, could cause the issue described earlier (I think there would be just enough damage to trigger it if you keep using FoK with Valeera every turn and spread other ‘ranged’ skills evenly) and spoil the fun — that’s how I discovered it.

Well a much simpler way to test it is to check whether or not Wrathion’s bleed scales the health gain of his transformation ability (which is doesn’t). It never has before however even when bleed could crit, so my assumption is that some enchantments that deal damage are somehow able to be given a role even if they aren’t attributed to a specific merc. I heard that Sinestra’s AoE was apparently not proccing Holmes “obviously the murderer” status effect either, so it seems consistent with the theory.

I haven’t tried that before but it sounds interesting. It does make sense though. I would assume the second phase just doesn’t have a death phase inbetween. If I recall correctly, the first phase has 2 free slots on the enemy side, so if you kill them with bleeding, then the condition is met, then it attempts to summon the phase 2 units, only 2 slots are available. After this the death phase would clear the 3 dead mercs + first phase Nefarian.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand. Do you mean the damage he takes from bleeding doesn’t count towards the True Form’s buff?

I meant a slightly different thing — bleeding might no longer be credited as a damage source from a particular mercenary, like it used to be, if I recall correctly: namely, there would be several status effects or enchantments on a bleeding merc, each attributed to a particular ability applying it, and now it just stacks.

The first phase is ‘Unimpressed Nefarius’ and four lackeys, so only one space left, if we assume 6 to be the maximum (which isn’t always the case, as I’ve reported here, but usually it is), thus only the first ‘add’ from the second phase summoned — makes perfect sense! :+1:

Speaking of slots on the board, reminded me of another matter: what do you think about that one with the C’Thun bounty, should we consider it a bug or a design limitation?

A few other notes about some bounties (difficulty on which it was tested in brackets):

Lokholar (Heroic): his ‘Avalanche’ ability (Attack a random enemy. Repeat for each of your other characters.) seems to respect taunt now. I don’t rightly remember, was it always the case or was it fixed at some point?

Garrosh (Normal) has a text like this: ‘Restore 25 health to this Merc after another character casts a Shadow ability.’ However, this seems to trigger only from the abilities of his allies, not enemies — in particular, the player’s Twilight Extinction or Shadowflame would not heal him.

About a few abilities:

– The full animation for Varian’s Retaliation is visible only for an enemy Varian, not mine, where it just shines a lot (on PC, Windows).
– Don’t know if this is a bug or a proper interaction, but an interesting one: if a merc (it was an enemy Uther in PvE in my case) would cast a Holy ability twice due to Velen’s Blessing, but is killed after the first cast (my Trigore did it), then the second cast woudn’t happen, despite the text: ‘Your next Holy ability casts twice.’

That might be another example for the subject of dying mercs casting their abilities or not, as with Trigore and Long’xin, which we discussed a while ago.