Hearthstone is toooo expensive!

Can’t believe noone pointed out that that Riddler got .6 of a legendary card to bump the number past 50%.

Also probably shouldn’t be including both the dust and crafted cards (choose one or the other for more accurate info)(the way I read the conversation both numbers were included)

1 Like

No. You were inattentive and made bad assumptions. If you look backwards in this thread I have always said that I reached 86% from free packs and Blizzard freebies. I never said I got it only from 70-80 packs.

“Get 85%+ of the cards in every set for FREE and only spend as much money as you want after that.”
“Those 80 packs and Blizzard’s freebies give the player all the commons, all the rares, 18-20 Epics, 6-8 Legendaries, and about 3,000 dust from duplicates”

All the free resources a players gets … whether that’s gold, or packs, or dust … are freebies. They are all the same thing because they all turn into one thing … cards. It does not functionally matter if I get a Legendary from opening a pack on launch day … or from a free pack in a special event after launch day … or from duplicate dust … or from dusting Extra goldens … or from HoF refund dust. As long as the freebie comes during an expansion cycle then it counts as a ‘freebie’ that can be used to obtain cards from that expansion set. To me the source of a freebie is irrelevant. It’s all free, and it all turns into the same cards.

Can’t believe noone pointed out that that Riddler got .6 of a legendary card

No, it’s 11.6 because that’s the average. You may not know how averages work, so I’ll explain…

JtU: 9 Legendaries
KotFT: 14 Legendaries
K&C: 15 Legendaries
WW: 15 Legendaries
BD: 12 Legendaries
RR: 8 Legendaries

9+14+15+15+12+8=73. 73/6=12.17.

So the average amount of Legendaries I got from the past 6 expansions was 12.17 Legendaries. When you go all the way back to Goblins & Gnomes and average my total “free Legendary” counts then the average is 11.6. Hope that helps you to understand where decimals come from when performing functions of central tendency.

According to this simulation results you need closer to 500 packs for a complete expansion set.
It is the most accurate i found not sure how you guys have come up with values like 400 or even 350 packs …

1 Like

@riddler
If your doing that for the legendaries then the data is available so why not use that for common , epics, rares, and dust? As I doubt those got to .0 on average.

@Riddler Why not just give all your numbers for total cards you got in the last 6 expansions/2 years as a free to play player and there wouldnt be as many arguments about the data your presenting.

By putting it to the average it messes things up due to timing etc.

That definition of “freebies” is ridiculous and extremely misleading. It means something totally different depending on how complete your base set is.

Tavern brawls give a pack of the base set every week. if you’ve already got a nearly complete set of those cards, like someone who’s played forever would have, then the entire pack is a “freebie” you can dust and use to make cards from the most recent set.

On the other hand, if you’re a relatively new player, you don’t dust your tavern brawl packs; you add them to your collection and improve your decks with them.

Not only that, you’ve got all the current sets in standard competing for your dust, where the veteran player can use 100% of his dust on the current set.

This whole discussion is absurd. Just ignore these ridiculous stats. At best, they’re only relevant to veteran players. At worse, they are pure fiction.

2 Likes

This simulation doesn’t take into account dust from duplicates.

Conversely you have always had a history of manipulating data in a way that suits your agenda. explain to me in great detail how exactly non-gold (already accounted for in the 70-80 packs) freebies are accounting for 150 packs worth of set completion, 'cos I’m not buying it.

4 Likes

Most people find it tedious, but here they are for the giggles. These are the expansions where I only got content for free.

Journey to Ungoro
Commons: 98 (100%)
Rares: 72 (100%)
Epics 33 (61.1%)
Legendaries: 9 (39.13%)
TOTAL 212 (85.83%)

Knights of the Frozen Throne
Epics 27 (50%)
Legendaries 14 (60.87%)
TOTAL: 211 (85.43)

Kobolds & Catacombs
Epics: 42 (77.78%)
Legendaries: 15 (65.22)
TOTAL: 227 (91.90%)

Boomsday Project
Rares: 68 (94.4%)
Epics 36 (66.67%)
Legendaries: 12 (52.17%)
TOTAL: 214 (86.64%)

Rastakhan’s Rumble
Rares: 71 (98.61%)
Epics: 28 (51.85%)
Legendaries: 8 (34.78%)
TOTAL: 205 (83.0%)

You’ll notice my RR numbers are a bit lower. That’s because I haven’t crafted hardly anything from the set. I did one Legendary (Oodansta) and haven’t seen the need to do any of the others. Only a few of the Epics seem worthwhile. So the majority of my Freebie dust is still sitting in the bank (it’s at 6,200 currently). And I stand to get a big dust pile with the HOF refund for Baku & Genn on top of it. I could craft 4 Legendaries and some Epics from all that … but I can already build all the T1-T4 decks with what I’ve got, so why waste the dust?

You’ll also see that I skipped Witchwood. It’s numbers are artificially high because I also bought the 50 pack bundle on top of my 80 packs. I did that as a “support the game” thing as well as to see how what percentage of cards a person could get with 150 packs + freebies as opposed to 80 + freebies. It wasn’t a lot better, which confirmed what I already knew… Buying a bunch of packs after the 80 free ones only moves the numbers incrementally (I.E. it has a lousy ROI). Moving from the 86% level to the 95%+ level by blunt force pack buying is for Whales or Suckers.

That definition of “freebies” is ridiculous and extremely misleading.

It’s neither ridiculous nor misleading because “freebies” means “things you got for free”. It’s literally a self-defining term.

It’s certainly true though that a person who has all or most of the Classic set will end up having more “liquid freebies” than a person who is a new player. Presumably though, that new player is getting a better ROI from opening Brawl packs because they’re adding to their total collection. If the cards are going in to their collection, then they’re getting high-value freebies. If the packs are turned into dust, then they’re getting the same level of freebie as the veteran. So really it’s a distinction without a difference. The new player is either getting MORE freebie value in ‘static’ Classic cards, or the SAME freebie value in ‘liquid’ disenchant dust. Win/win.

Conversely you have always had a history of manipulating data in a way that suits your agenda. explain to me in great detail how exactly non-gold (already accounted for in the 70-80 packs) freebies are accounting for 150 packs worth of set completion, 'cos I’m not buying it.

It is more accurate to say that you have a history of poorly grasping information that runs counter to your opinion.

Getting to 86% from the freebies isn’t complicated. The 85-90+ packs I open on launch day (80 from gold plus Bizzard’s promotional packs) typically get me to somewhere around 75% of the cards with only a negligible amount of crafting to polish off commons & rares.

So on opening day with only the bare minimum (commons / rares) of crafting I’m typically at…
98 Commons (100%)
72 Rares (100%)
16-18 Epics (Call it 17 or 31.5%)
6-8 Legendaries (call it 7 or 30.4%)

That puts the total amount of cards I’ve got at or about 78.5% straight up cold on launch day from free packs. Getting from 78.5% to 86% is only a matter of 18 more cards to acquire in 4 months with somewhere between 2,500 to 3,000 dust still unspent. I’ve never found it particularly challenging to easily move into the 80% range, and even a modest amount of luck/effort over 4 months gets me to 85% before I even know it. All i do is sit on my dust, watch the meta, and only bother crafting things that I know will be relevant. It works, and it’s free so the price is right.

For Rastakhan’s Rumble - for example - I am at 82% and I didn’t even bother crafting the missing Rares. I’ve opened a few free packs in the past 3 months … like the three I got this week from the Brawl + the choose your champion promotion. I crafted a couple Epics and a Legendary and - viola - I’m at 82% and I didn’t even try.

1 Like

do you know legendary cards are more expensive than rare cards for example?

2 Likes

Sure - but (as previously discussed) the majority of Epics & Legendaries are skippable trash. When around 60% of the E/L cards are highly unlikely to ever be meaningful, why go around believing that they “must” all be collected? If you don’t need to get them, then their cost is Zero.

That’s why I prefer the approach on the video, that considers the dust or resource cost rather than a simple card count.

Most people are focusing on the complete aspect of the video, but the squire graphic points that a F2P player (one that plays a lot and well) can get 52% of said resources for each expansion.

I think it is enough for being able to play and even reaching high ranks but it is lacking for experimenting and quickly adapting to the meta, mainly in the first month of the expansion.

1 Like

The simulator assumes that the player only wants to dust “extra” cards, and prefers to dust golden cards over normal cards.
I think everything is correctly accounted for…

Really? YOu claimed earlier in this thread 100% F2P achieved your 85% set completion, then went on to admit to purchasing a pre-order in this very post. If you have not fully disclosed where your collection came from, I know you also pre-ordered Old Gods from the old forum, why should I trust your numbers when they are not within a respectable margin of error from proven data?

That 8% of cards is the equivalent of 100+/- packs in terms of investment, due to the requirements to obtain them (E&L quality cards with lower drop rates and higher crafting costs). The numbers simply dont support your claim, not even close to it, so drop the crap already. Your 85% set completion requires the equivalent of 200+ packs to achieve, and you are yet to address HOW you manage that.

4 Likes

Yet your legendary count is quite high, and you have the majority of legendaries from Frozen Throne and Kobolds. I figure the 85% mark for EVERY set is quite misleading. I have sets above 80%, and spending a whole bunch of dust I could theoretically get to 85%, but that’s with having bought a whole bunch of packs needing to catch up.

The number of epics you have from RR is on the high side unless you crafted like 6+ epics but the overall figure is not too out of reach, theoretically if you spend 4000+ dust on RR cards.

2 Likes

yup, same here
12434324356546 characters

My own post has a problem with it. The 67% that my simulation came up counted all non-duplicate cards equally. This does ignore rarity, which is a problem. Adjusting for rarity, you would get about 1/3 of the set. This is just me being honest and admitting that I take dust ratios into account. So, you do get a third of the set but you get a better percentage of the part of the set that actually sees play because a lot of legendaries don’t see play.

1 Like

I’ve already told you. I save up my gold between sets … typically landing somewhere between 10,000 to 12,000 gold on launch day. I buy 80 or so packs … add them to Blizzard’s freebies … and generally end up with somewhere in the ballpark of 75% to 78% of the cards on day 1 with only a tiny amount of crafting to polish of any straggler rares/commons.

After that, I sit on my 3,000 or so dust from duplicates & golds. I do targeted crafts of stuff that become meta-relevant during the 4 months of the set. Along the way, Blizzard inevitably tosses out even more freebie packs and other extras which I use to build the current set. By the time the next set launches, I’m inevitably at 85% or more. It’s simple, easy, and requires no money. All it takes is a little patience, common-sense, and planning. It also helps that I have a mathematical understanding of when to STOP getting packs and the self-control to actually do so.

So next expansion while some are shaking their fists at the sky about how it “isn’t possible”, I’ll be humming a happy tune as once again I faceroll to 85%. I invite you do join me in doing so. You’ll find it much more satisfying than complaining about the 15% of the cards you don’t have.

Yet your legendary count is quite high, and you have the majority of legendaries from Frozen Throne and Kobolds.

There were some HoF and nerf refunds in those sets as I recall which spurred some acquisitions. K&C was a weird set. I didn’t get a lot of K&C Legendaries through crafting. I spent most of my craft dust on the Epics because they were more important in that set (usually it’s the other way around). That’s why my K&C Epic total is so high. As I recall, the Legendaries I got in K&C were a lot of lucky draws.

Yhe lol stop being poor nibber

… welcome to card games?

Your post isn’t really saying anything.

EVERY CCG is expensive if you want to play a huge variety of meta decks every expansion.