Game is definitely not appealing to new players

I’ve had the game maybe 2-3 weeks tops. Played a few rounds and purchased a few packs. Where do I begin with my complaints?

For starters, the duplicates from the packs of cards are ridiculously bad. Definitely not fun when you make a purchase and continue to get more of the EXACT same mediocre card. I get that duplicates happen in real life but the extent at which they happened with the packs I purchased on here made me feel like I got scammed.

I don’t know how the match making is done, but it’s absolutely horrible. Some of the people I’ve played against have decks that are far superior to mine. They have low to no cost mana cards that have high impact. Even if I get a near perfect draw from my deck, the other player is going to win because their deck is so much better. I specifically went and looked to build a better deck that could have handled what the last few opponents threw at me and it’s simply not possible with the cards I have.

The draws and discard is horrid. Okay 65-70% of my deck is 4 cost mana cards and below. YET all of the initial cards I’m dealt are 6+ mana cost cards. I discard them and get more high cost mana cards which can’t be played until the 6+ mana rounds. Fine a bad draw, start the game and the game instantly gives me the 7+ mana cost cards I discarded. then it decides to dump the rest of my high cost cards on me… Mean while the opponent has dumped all of his low cost cards on the table and I stand NO chance.

I like the general idea of the game. But games are not fun to players when they don’t stand an equal chance at winning.

11 Likes

Having recently played at the newbie ranks with no money spent, I can assure you skill absolutely matters, and the better player wins the majority of the time. Most of my opponents were making huge mistakes and all I really did to beat them was capitalize on them.

If you want to add me, I can help you figure out what you’re doing wrong. Loco1234#1317

6 Likes

There are a lot of games I have played in which skill played no part in it. The decks are what won it. When you play a priest who can summon up 2 cards that have 12+ damage and 12+ life before you even reach the point in which the mana cards cost 8+ there is a problem.

Not all decks are equal and not all decks are capable competing with other decks. Some of these players are throwing down a 4 cost mana Taunt and a 2 cost spell and creating a card that’s more powerful then any of the 10 mana cost cards I have. Even if I try to combine cards and powers, I can’t come close to it.

As I said even if all my cards are drawn in near perfect order to give me the most desirable outcome possible, winning is not possible.

The game is flawed and heavily flawed. When I would play these games in real life my friends and I would make sure our decks were competitive. So that both players stood an equal chance at winning and it would come down to skill.

3 Likes

I never really got into this game. Tried it again today after finding bugger all info on how to play. All I hear is ‘I need mana’ all the time. I really have no clue how this game works and why it’s apparently so addictive. Maybe in another life. Even BfA is better than this.

3 Likes

The Priest deck you’re describing has a massive flaw in that the entire deck falls apart to two common cards (Ironbeak Owl and Spellbreaker) and that it cannot play if it’s minions don’t survive. So yes, skill matters in that match-up quite a bit. Priest is also arguably the worst class in the entire game.

You’re losing to buffs, so run some Silence. The counters to what you’re claiming is so unstoppable are literally common cards you have easy access to. Or you can out trade them, which nobody at those ranks seems to bother with. It’s just face, which isn’t wise without a dedicated aggro build. If they have no minions, they cannot buff.

If your deck is literally incapable of beating Inner Fire Priest regardless of draws, you built a bad deck, which is part of what o offered to help you with.

I had both of those cards in the deck but they are impossible to play if they are not being drawn. 1 of the Ironbeak and 2 of the spellbreaker.

It’s not just Priest that I’ve run into problems with. Typically they are easier to beat. It’s stupid that a 1-2 cost mana card can take out a 5+ or greater mana card in one go.

One Mana cost cards should have one cost mana impact plain and simple. I’m not the only person who’s complained about it either. If you google hearthstone reviews you’ll see countless testimonies that agree with me.

The game lacks balance and common sense. Then again maybe these type of games just are not for me. I’m not a fan of games that can create unfair advantages for another player and the supposed RNG with the deck wll do that. I like games that give both players an equal chance at winning, no RNG type game can offer that.

1 Like

Sure would be nice if I’d told you about more ways to deal with it than just silence

Oh, right, I did. Trade. Don’t just go face.

And it’s not like you have a mulligan to help you get cards you need for the match-up or anything, that would be insane

The thing you’re complaining about now is a part of pretty much every card game though. Even Magic, widely considered the best card game, has 2 mana cards that can out 10 mana cards.

Divine Spirit and Inner Fire are fine. They are only strong alongside other buffs (which leads to an investment of much more than 1 mana) or cheap minions with high health (which are absolutely terrible without the buffs). If you’re repeatedly struggling to deal with this deck, the problem is you. Whether it’s your plays or your deck, I don’t know, but the problem is you, nothing else. It’s an awful deck that more or less only punishes bad players and bad matchups

Also, no game EXCEPT true random games give both players an equal chance of winning. The better player has a better chance of winning. This is true in Hearthstone as well.

for 3 months i managed to create few decks :slight_smile: , i made a beginners guide and also you can check a video i made about how to manage your gold.

I mean…you’re not wrong to be honest. You do need to invest to get over that initial ‘new player’ bump too. Make sure you log in for free bonuses, make sure you do your daily quests best you can etc and save up gold and dust.

It all depends on if this is a game you plan to stick with in the long run. If it is, I would buy an expansion bundle for a kick start and dust all your duplicates and build around what you get and just play for fun. If you can save 1600 dust and get to Rank 25 (I wish new players could do this straightaway) but you can craft a card that gives you a random (out of 18) pre-constructed deck made by Blizzard.

1 Like

Except you don’t. This claim is demonstrably false as I will be showing when Saviors comes out by taking a fresh account to Rank 5 without spending money.

2 Likes

If you buy packs expecting it will give you some Rank boost, you are going to be sorely disappointed.
Rank 5 is very possible to achieve and maintain as F2P. All you need to start with is one deck, you build the cheap core, and play. Learn from your mistakes, there are a ton of things to learn to play “efficiently”. If you’re Fireballing the enemy’s face while they are at 25 hp you’d better have a good reason for doing so, when they play a 4/5 minion next turn. Oops. You probably could have saved that Fireball.

I was playing a match with one of my friends and Turn 1 they Coin Eviscerate my face, Turn 3 play Miscreant without Combo. That ‘inefficient’ use of resources is almost guaranteed to lose them the game eventually.

Maybe 20% of the time you aggro your opponent down and win. But it isn’t going to consistently get you anywhere, especially against better players who are also using ‘efficient’ cards.

1 Like

I understand what ya’ll are saying. I’m at rank 20 now. I modified my decks to improve them as I’ve opened packs. Priest is no longer an issue unless I get a bad draw from my deck.

How ever I found another wonderfully stupid feature/aspect to this game, I believe you call it netdecking. I’m running into dozens of players all using identical decks. Currently I don’t have the cards to deal with it (so far as I know), I’ll browse it later. But even if I can build a deck to deal with them, it’s stupid. It will become the same game over and over and over again.

I still won’t spend a dime on the game. When I play someone who’s doing the netdecking garbage I just concede. I’m not going to give them the entertainment of slaughtering me because they copied some deck guide they found on the net. I personally like to earn my achievements and ranks.

Yes I’ve had mistakes cost me games, who hasn’t?

1 Like

Net decking is not a Hearthstone problem, it’s a card game problem.

It’s also not that big a deal. Bad players with good decks are still bad players and they still make massive mistakes that better players exploit.

You just jumped ahead and didn’t let me say what the bump was. Of course you could, so could I but how long will it take you vs someone with a bigger card collection?

Took me about a week to get most of the way there last time I tried it

And I did read your entire post, I just only quoted the relevant part to my reply

You and I know what we’re doing, even in a basic deck that you start with. A new player is going to get there longer. Yes it’s true, a bunch of new cards won’t make a player play better but the deck would have an overall better quality.

Time is the hurdle. Are new players likely to stick around for a measly single pack here and there and get there slowly or will frustration just get to them and they leave Hearthstone?

All buying cards does is decrease the time so you can get a better deck up the ladder or use the cards you want for dust to craft the deck you want or use Whizbang or Zayle up the ladder.

1 Like

And this is why research is important.

The argument you originally made is that you HAVE TO spend. What I was disagreeing with is that claim that you HAVE TO spend to get over that first hurdle, which you yourself have now agreed with me on.

Deck quality isn’t determined by your collection size. It’s largely determined by your efficiency in crafting, from the f2p standpoint. The only real difference between f2p and p2p in Hearthstone is the number of decks available to the player at any one time. My roommate pays and has about 5 meta decks. I do not and have 2. But his best rank is only 1 higher than mine and the power gap between the decks we run is borderline nonexistent. We just got a friend of ours into the game and while his gameplay isn’t quite where ours is, he had a deck just as strong as ours before he was rank 30.

So again, you do NOT have to spend anything to get over the new player hurdle, whether you’re a veteran or not.

1 Like

I personally think a small initial investment is better but no, of you course don’t have to.

I was saying that as an opinion, not an outright fact. I was giving the OP my recommendation.

It’s taken me ages to play ‘catch up’ and as soon as I bought a few bundles, it made it so much easier to compete. I don’t mean just one deck, I mean a deck or 2 for each class.

I also said to the OP it all depends on what they want to do with Hearthstone in general. If they’re playing casually and using it as a small time filler, I’d suggest not buying anything.

1 Like

Netdecking is one of issues I have with this game and has to with the insane high cost and lack of poor balance. There are only a few broken cards when compared to the cards available in standard and this forces people to use their limited resources (gold, dust, real money and time) playing the most broken decks available that they can afford in order to not get steam rolled by other broken decks.

Maybe if the game wasn’t so unreasonably expensive it would open up other cards or strategies to be played even at competitive levels but right now it is in copy/paste and be bored mode.

2 Likes

That you think net decking is a Hearthstone problem suggests you don’t play many card games.

Every single one (except Keyforge due to its deck mechanics) has net decking. It’s not a Hearthstone problem and it’s not caused by anything you listed. It’s a card game thing that happens because no matter how well balanced a game is, if it has variety it has a metagame that people are going to gravitate towards.

2 Likes