Finding Your Trust Level

Now that reveal season is upon us, the first one in which trust levels have been relevant for posting/embedding links, images etc. the question of “How do I check my trust level” has come up more often, so I am providing this guide for those who want to find where they are at in that regard.

Note: for the images below I used firefox browser, chrome just gives you a wall of text which can still be used ([ctrl] + F and search for trust_level), but I strongly recommend using firefox as its much better “formatted” than chrome is. (thanks Bobsy for bringing this up :wink: )

1. Click/tap your avatar, and select [View Activity] - this will bring you to your profile page:

Imgur

1. Add .json to the end of the URL. If /activity is missing ADD that as well, so …/activity.json :

Imgur

1. Click the > #0 and scroll down/search for trust level:

Imgur

Full album:

Note: This is done on PC, and I havent tested mobile recently (but it looked bad last time I did) so I recommend PC & Firefox browser. For mobile, follow Smeets directions below:

With your battletag replacing Smeets (Smeet-1144), using a - instead of a # between name an identifier number.

Hope this helps, and is at least easily searchable now for those who know it can be done, but cant remember how (lookin at you Wardrum :rofl:)

Trust level requirements are:

Some of this is available in your profile summary, selecting that option in the first image, but it really is a bit “hit and miss” so to speak.

21 Likes

You are ever so helpful; thank you! :sparkling_heart:

I have bookmarked this thread, so as to refer people to it as necessary in the future.

4 Likes

Thanks for this bowser.

It says I’m trust level 2. What are the requirements for trust level 3?

1 Like

Ahh, crap! I meant to include those in the OP, gimme a few mins so I can borrow it from the post in community chat.

Thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

Works fine on mobile, but the source page (with the trust level) is messy.

Yeah, thats how I remember it, which is why I recommend using PC if you really wanna check it out. The formatting is far better on PC than mobile. iirc on mobile its just a huge wall of text sorta thing.

Fantastic write-up, bud.

Yeah, it’s nightmarish. The ‘find on page’ function is your friend on this one.

1 Like

Kind of wish I knew (or could check) which lf the upkeep ones I’m currently missing (is it the visits within the last 100 days? 'Cuz ive checked the site daily, or is it the reading enough unique topics?)

I used to have it, but now i don’t even know what im missing.

Good guide though.

1 Like

Believe me, I am just as confused as anyone regarding the topic. There are many regulars whom deserve TL3 FAR more than I do - FACT!!!

It would be nice if there was a TL “tracker” sorta thing on our profile page, which would outline our “progress” so to speak, so that we knew where we stood/whats holding it back etc. Need to read a few more posts? then you know, for example.

Maybe I/we should make a post here:

requesting that trust level tracking is “important” for the forum regulars. Maybe that can be my chore for tomorrow.

I’ve googled trust levels and some of the administrators that use Discourse don’t want trust levels to be too visible because they don’t want people who don’t deserve it to actively try to get it and for those who do get it is because they’ve earned it.

Their attitude seems to be, “If you deserve it, it will happen naturally.”

3 Likes

Meanwhile, I have seen literal 1 post wonders being able to link/embed websites etc. while those who actually deserve that “privilege” cant.

Admittedly, it has been a while since Ive seen it happen, but it used to happen quite often.

And, seriously, compare me to Smeet, for example. Who is more worthy of TL3 based on the CoC???

If anyone says its me, then I will call them a LIAR to their face!

Every administrator is different: I was simply stating what I read from admins in general. I don’t know what sites they ran or anything.

I was genuinely shocked to find myself at TL3 but it happened. I promise not to abuse it but yes, quite a few members are more deserving of higher trust levels.

Sometimes, its not the quantity but the quality.

Yeah, this doesn’t work in chrome… which bowser are you using?

LOL very punny.

Jokes aside, I use Firefox by default. Just tried it in chrome, and yeah, it gives the same wall of text thing I experienced on mobile, so I think its a chrome conflict, not a mobile one as I initially thought (I use Chrome on mobile).

For users of chrome, [ctrl] + F and search for trust_level, or preferably, use firefox as its much better formatted as seen in my images above.

And you are TL2 Bobsy.

This system doesn’t check who is quality poster and who is not. Even being just regular poster isn’t enough.

I was also trust_level 3. To be a trust_level 3 you have be active every-single-day. Give likes, comment, reply, quotes… every day.

If you take a break, you get kicked back to trust_level 2 (which I did).

It doesn’t matter if you make quality post or not. So someone who post extremely well detailed guide once a week and doesn’t give daily likes or comments will NOT get trust_level 3 status. But person who comment a “funny” Twitch emotes everyday and likes other people’s comment every day can easily reach trust_level 3 in next month.

1 Like

I agree, quality over quantity. Like I said above, there are many regulars just as worthy, if not more so, than myself of TL3.

But that’s not what this thread is about, I will make that one tomorrow on the website feedback board.

1 Like

I’m at level 2. Well considering the requirements, I’m good at just 2. :grin:

That’s not half bad… thought I’d be like -4 or something.

Yeah… but everything about Trust Level 3 is about quantity.

20k read posts (within the last 100 days), visit the forums every other day at least, read tons of posts constantly…

The fact you can lose it just for taking a forum break is silly. (Or in my case, just not reading quite enough posts while checking in on the forums, I guess?)

It is significantly easier for a bot to maintain trust level 3 than a person.

2 Likes

Huh, am I the only one using the mobile app?