Festival of Legends Theorycrafting Thread

The time has come. All reveals are out, card reviews are all over and some deck builders have finally been updated with the new Year of the Wolf rotation; so it is theorycrafting season. If anyone has any interesting ideas they want to share, we can do it here. This builder is updated with the Year of the Wolf cards: https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/deck-builder/

I will share a bunch of decks I have done while looking over the new rotation. Fair warning tho, these are likely all kinda bad; I am not the greatest home-brewer. Click on the arrows to check out the list

• Undead HP Druid: The idea would be to go for an aggro swarming playstyle, chipping damage with wide boards and the hero power, and trying to finish with Elder Naddox + Corporeal.
List
  • 1 ARMS DEALER x2
  • 1 FREE SPIRIT x2
  • 1 LINGERING ZOMBIE x2
  • 1 MURMY x2
  • 1 PLANTED EVIDENCE x2
  • 1 RAKE x2
  • 1 WITHER x2
  • 2 GROOVY CAT x2
  • 2 INCORPOREAL CORPORAL x2
  • 2 NERUBIAN FLYER x2
  • 2 VRYKUL NECROLYTE x2
  • 3 NERUBIAN VIZIER
  • 4 SPREAD THE WORD x2
  • 5 ELDER NADOX
  • 6 LIFE FROM DEATH x2
  • 6 UNENDING SWARM x2
  • Combo Rogue: I think this looks bad. Trying to make a miracle list that works with the new cards was a bit of a headache, and I kept just wanting to cut most of the combo package because it actually messes up your synergy. The problem is, if you want to include the weapon to play a big Drakka, you need a reasonable amount of combo cards. And these cards feel like they will just make your deck more and more clunky. In the end I just made a list with a bunch of combo cards and an Astalor combo. And it looks terrible. Maybe someone comes up with a bonkers tier 0 list; but that someone definitely isnā€™t me.
List
  • 0 PREPARATION x2
  • 0 SHADOW OF DEMISE
  • 0 SHADOWSTEP x2
  • 1 BREAKDANCE x2
  • 1 DOOR OF SHADOWS x2
  • 1 GHOSTLY STRIKE x2
  • 1 GONE FISHINā€™ x2
  • 2 ASTALOR BLOODSWORN
  • 2 DISC JOCKEY x2
  • 2 EVISCERATE x2
  • 2 SERRATED BONE SPIKE x2
  • 3 BEATBOXER x2
  • 3 BOUNCE AROUND (FT. GARONA)
  • 3 RECORD SCRATCHER x2
  • 3 RHYME SPINNER x2
  • 4 ELVEN MINSTREL x2
  • 5 MC BLINGTRON
  • Fatigue implock: This looks alrite. Itā€™s implock (ew) with a twist, but seems like it could be playable.
List
  • FLAME IMP2
  • 1FLUSTERED LIBRARIAN2
  • 1VOID VIRTUOSO2
  • 2BARITONE IMP2
  • 2DRAIN SOUL2
  • 2FELSTRING HARP2
  • 2IMPENDING CATASTROPHE2
  • 2NOFINā€™S IMP-OSSIBLE2
  • 2VILE LIBRARY2
  • 3CRESCENDO2
  • 3FIENDISH CIRCLE2
  • 3IMP GANG BOSS2
  • 4MISCHIEVOUS IMP2
  • 5CRAZED CONDUCTOR2
  • 6IMP KING RAFAAM
  • 6SYMPHONY OF SINS
  • Concede Warrior: Honestly I kinda just want to play this for the culture. If I can kill at least 1 opponent with a 12+ damage remornia I will be happy.
    Edit: I forgot to include the One Amalgam Band here, so Iā€™d probably cut sunfire smithing and fill with a second bridge riff.
List
  • 1 MISTAKE x2
  • 1 MURMY x2
  • 1 RAZORFEN ROCKSTAR x2
  • 2 PARTY ANIMAL x2
  • 2 ROARING APPLAUSE x2
  • 2 STEREO TOTEM x2
  • 2 VERSE RIFF x2
  • 3 CHORUS RIFF x2
  • 3 HOOKFIST-3000 x2
  • 3 POWER SLIDER x2
  • 4 IGNEOUS LAVAGORGER x2
  • 4 ROCK MASTER VOONE
  • 4 SUNFIRE SMITHING x2
  • 5 BLACKROCK ā€˜Nā€™ ROLL
  • 6 BRIDGE RIFF1
  • 6 FLESHSHAPER x2
  • 7 REMORNIA, LIVING BLADE
  • Totems deathrattle Shaman: No way this actually works. But a man can dream. The idea is similar to druid: a swarm totem deck with the added deathrattle buff twist and a cheeky bloodlust for the kill. This lacks draw tho (why did you rotate out the mana totem, devs; that was mean).
List
  • 1 CROWD SURFER x2
  • 1 SCHOOLING x2
  • 1 SCOURGE TROLL x2
  • 1 TOTEMIC EVIDENCE x2
  • 2 ANCHORED TOTEM x2
  • 2 CARVING CHISEL x2
  • 2 CROOKED COOK x2
  • 2 FLAMETONGUE TOTEM x2
  • 2 STEREO TOTEM x2
  • 3 GRAND TOTEM EYSā€™OR
  • 3 PARTY FAVOR TOTEM x2
  • 3 SHADOW SUFFUSION x2
  • 4 THE STONEWRIGHT
  • 5 BLOODLUST
  • 5 ROTGILL
  • 6 THING FROM BELOW x2
  • 10 GIGANTOTEM x2

Now enough of my tier 10 dumpster decks, I wanna see what others are cooking :face_with_monocle:

Combo Rogue is gonna be running Freebird for massive charge beatdowns. Donā€™t know if itā€™ll end up being in the top lists but definitely see it being played on day 1.

1 Like

When i get back on PC gonna post some mage decks.

There gonna be:

Aggro mage
Lightshow mage
DJ millhouse OTK

Another deck that I believe is gonna be tried is Tony warrior, but I donā€™t see that deck be that successful.

Think aggro frost death knight is gonna be one of the top decks. This is a list I just threw together.
AAECAYjaBQaTgQXipAW0gAWpgAWV8QTMpQUMguQEkpMFAACgmQX+4wT14wTw4wS1gAUA7eMEnqoFAA==

Unfortunately, deck codes wonā€™t work well until Blizz releases the new patch, because they canā€™t implement whatever code the new cards will have in the game into this siteā€™s builder if they donā€™t know what it is yet. So, the code you shared is missing the Festival of Legends cards. To get around this, you can just click&drag with your mouse over the entire decklist and then copy and paste here in the forumā€™s textbox. This will replicate the format and actually look kinda nice! Otherwise you can also just write it down manually but thatā€™s a bit of a pain.

Anti-Tony Tony Warrior:

Build new decks from scratch or import existing deck codes, customize them to your heart

BRnR Lorā€™themar Warrior

Build new decks from scratch or import existing deck codes, customize them to your heart

Replace Rancor with Bladestorm

1 Like

Not letting me do that says I canā€™t post embedded media, but anyway, the major changes are Cultists are added plus Crowd surfer Murloc and death growl. Death growl is nice to use on the egg to spread death-rattle or the Murloc for more stats.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t Soulseeker be a potential liability here? I like this but I think there could be a Tony warrior that only runs 2 minions (Tony and Steamcleaner) and uses the Riffs to tutor them, since you would be drawing a minion everytime you use a riff with finale. Might aid with consistency.

This one is greedy but sweet! Imagine throwing a Trenchstalker after BRnR + Lorā€™Themar :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I made it to Diamond 5 with a modern version of the BRnR deck, so thatā€™s promising. But also maybe just a testament to winstreaks and star bonus, since I was Legend last seasonā€¦

Pure Paladin and Thief Rogue are the primary obstacles right now, but after rotation Iā€™m hoping that Thief Rogue disappears and Pure Paladin gets shut down by Control Priest and Aggro DK.

Iā€™m not very smart but I wanna try and make a Lightshow focused mage deck and a Divine Shield spamming Paladin

Howā€™d you make the list in the forum?

AAECAYjaBQTNpQXLpQXZ4gQADZKTBbL3BACgmQWuoQXR7QTw4wSM5ASH9gQAnqoFAJiBBQA=

Deathrattle Unholy DK

AAECAa35AwbipAWXoATHsgQAAIWgBAyxnwTx9wKbzQMAAMjrBeegBAAApZIFnaQFAAA=

Control Warlock. Iā€™m building this to be very anti-aggro, but Iā€™ll probably need to refine it a lot.

AAECAea5AwKkkgXaxgMOpeIEj6UFs6AEiJIFtp8EjrAEAAC0oASPkgXsoAQAAJSSBQA=

Tempo Outcast Demon Hunter

AAECAf0EBuKkBQCL5wOoigSggAMADACS5APquQTknAWd1ASEkwXb3gT9ngQA8dME+uwEo7YCAA==

DJ Mage (Big Spell)

AAECAQcI4qQFAACqigSggAOB3ASI3wQACwC4tAQAAACp5QUAAJzHBAAAAA==

Menagerie Warrior (Not sure about this one)

Pretty sure thief rogue is more than okay in expansion, especially with all the legendary spells in the pool along with bounce effects.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/deckbuilder?deckcode=AAECAaIHCMygBdzaBPvEA9u5BNi2BIukBe7DBc3QBQv3nwT2nwT58QT37QTl0wPfoAX13QTD4wTVtgTfwwXXwwUA

There is a few things that are not worked out and probably canā€™t be until the expansion:

• Is it going to be a fast meta? If so reliance on defensive tools will go up. Right now this deck is running Hanar which is both a key defensive tool and value generation tool, and he can be bounced back to hand for multiple turns. The ghastly gravediggers with bounce effects are excellent disruption, but will not work well in a really fast meta, so are key cards to swap for defensive (and less interesting) tools.

• Professor Putricide is left out in favor of Hanar, Iā€™m not sure he will be all that useful unless many minions will die, it seems like this is not going to be the meta, but need to be changed if meta becomes minion heavy.

• Thief rogue loses reconnaissance one of the key defensive tools (often can generate a very potent lifesteal or armor minion.) Once again, this value and defense gap will need to be filled by secrets and Hanar.

• Mixed tape is another possible value sub-in for reccy, also very spicy card. Itā€™s important to note it is still useful in mirror MU! This is because it is a discover and has a chance to play a card that your opponent played that was not a rogue card. Overall, Iā€™m very optimistic about this card.

• Breakdance is going to be a key defense tool, might need to stick in minions with strong battlecries at correct mana costs to have this deck have the right answer for the meta.

• Queen stays in standard, and will be the usual cheese, if you happen to land a massive collosal turn 4,5 or 6, usually hard for your opponent to come back from that.

• Tony is run in this deck as a tempo + value + disruption tool. Itā€™s a fairly poor disruption tool but has the potential to snipe a strong card. Also, your opponent will likely need to clear the pirate ASAP otherwise you will get continuous value from him, so will be quite strong in thief rogue.

• Private eye has been left out, but I think this may be a mistake, this card may be necessary for the tempo + deck thinning capabilities. Putting 2 secrets into play is nothing to raise your nose at, it will have to be evaluated what the best option to do this would be. I think swapping one ghastly gravedigger for a private eye makes sense. This is because we donā€™t want to play all our secrets from deck (we need at least one to activate Hanar!!)

I should really highlight, that one of thief rogues strengths in this meta has been the fact that mage has both counterspell and objection, both debilitating secrets. The fact that hanar is back in play and you can discover this easier is just awesome for thief rogue, its going to be near impossible to play against a thief-secret rogue that pops off with hanar.

• All the deck-builders Iā€™ve tried are very bad at showing all the cards in upcoming standard. For example, a lot leave out the secrets that rotate in, so the secret selection Iā€™ve made here is probably not final. Generally, with secrets you want secrets that generate tempo, defensive or are very disruptive, you generally donā€™t need more value generation (so plagarize is likely to be replaced with ambush or something else.)

• Keep in mind, bounce around makes any of your high value minions left on board an extreme threat, as resummoning them means getting an additional copy from Tess on replay.

1 Like

Honestly all the tools around building decks with FoL are terrible right now, Iā€™m going to refrain until the tools get better and/or the release happensā€¦

Now that Iā€™m looking at Warrior stuff, Asvedon the Greatshield might be pretty good in a BRnR+Lorā€™themar deck that I posted above. Almost everybody is going to be using legendary spells so that can get value like nobodyā€™s business (except for Stranglethorn Heart, I guess).

The dream will be having some value things like Igneous Lavagorger or even Lorā€™themar on board and then using Asvedon to copy Bounce Aroundā€¦you could copy Bounce Around and a battlecry many times. Glorious.

EDIT: Actually it might not be that good once Year of the Gryphon rotates out. Many of the legendary spells would be pretty bad unless your deck is built around them. Good ones include BRnR, Love Everlasting, Symphony of Sins, and Bounce Around. Everything else is pretty bad and a lot of the new spells probably wonā€™t be worth copying for the deck. But itā€™s meta-dependent, so weā€™ll see.

1 Like

The fact that coin is back in standard is really bad for the meta. Rogue will abuse the living crap out of coin in some miracle rogue monstrosity built around draka.

Coin is insanely good in miracle rogue and will likely need to be hof or removed. Coin more than makes up for losing mailbox dancer. If you dont believe me, take a look at winrate for past miracle rogue builds starting with and withou coin, its close to a ten percent jump, and thats a single coin.

Which coin do you mean?

Some of the deck builders were showing me that coin was back in rotation for rogue, maybe they got that wrong.

Counterfeit Coin? Thatā€™s not coming back. Thank goodness. The harder it is for Miracle Rogue to ā€œwinā€ games on turns 2-4, the betterā€¦

Updated BRnR Warrior:

Updated my expected BRnR list. Dropped the entire Riff package for Slam, Execute, Zilliax, and Decimator Olgra. Had to make it Wild to fit in things like Bladestorm and Zilliax. Iā€™ll keep hope alive for this - thereā€™s basically no tech in the deck except Call to the Stand and Disruptive Spellbreaker, but thatā€™s the price you pay for going all-in on your proactive win condition. We canā€™t all be Control Priest and Blood DK!

I could see this deck dropping Igneous Lavagorger and/or Disruptive Spellbreaker for, say, Dirty Rat or Sword Eater depending on the meta. You donā€™t want to dilute your Last Stand draws too much though, and if your BRnR or Lorā€™themar are on the bottom of your deck, you want to get those. Same logic for Finley.