Fair warning Rant: Spell mage

Hey now, I remember your #1 complaint with Elemental Mage being that Mage should be a spell-casting class, not a minion-summoning one.

Well, now it does nothing but spells, it just… needs some love lol.

RIP Spellemental Mage though. I’m having a helluva time getting that to work.

1 Like

I apologize, I just expected more. I can barely get the decks to work. Others say they are having loads of success. I suppose some of my poor play can be attributed to pilot error, but I don’t think all of it can be. i think the class needs a cheap board clear or board control spell. arcane blast isn’t good enough when others are laying down early minions that are beefy, or laying down cheap minions and then buffing them for filth. i would also like to clarify my earlier remarks. i love the idea of a spell slinging mage. However; I want to be the one doing the slinging, not relying on a slot machine to win for me.

I’ll admit that I haven’t given Spell Mage much time due to experimenting a lot with Librams and Cyclone Mage, but I intend to give it a solid effort soon. I intend to figure out how to properly play it, and push it past that if possible.

Also, gonna try some (non-Highlander) Dragon builds and see how they work out.

2 Likes

Mage is decent but its trash vs DH and DH still half the ladder so its not good yet.

1 Like

I really have high hopes for spell mage. I feel like its alot like cyclone mage. Knowing when to skip turns and knowing the numbers and effects of every mage minion so you know your rough percent of what of them you can use. What im saying is the deck is much harder to play correctly than most people realize. Same reason cyclone mage and aggro overload shaman had nothing special winrates but there was always a group of high level players at legend with it slaying every “op” deck it runs into.

Spell mage is much much harder to play optimiliy than people think, but it is very very strong for sure and lots of very skilled people will sit at legend with it omost guaranteed.

Also update on mine. Diamond 2. 11-5 win.
Last 2 games were spell druid and ive fought a nice chunk of warlocks too so far, the rest is all DH. The only DH deck I really struggle with so far is the low cost one that runs 6 cost guldan card as its highest cost. No big demons, more of a facehunter style deck but with added godly early game removal and INSANE card draw. (Im assuming, tho i did friend one and asked for his deck)

1 Like

So they took the beginner class and saddled it with the highest degree of difficulty deck they could manage. Great.

@mallenroh. Yes mostly. It does have crazy mega heavy RNG cards. But alot of the wins come down to detailed knowledge of knowing when to freeze Extactly or Exactly the turn to use a secret, example would be counterspell alone im sure is always played too early than it should by alot of people.

Luckily on the flip side the Insane…and I do mean INSANE Randomness of the deck will pull out some highlight worthy wins for sure. ( Run 10 cost hero reno card and not the quest please! Its secretly stronger no joke.)

Mage isn’t the beginners class, no class is.

I think the issue is that you want to play one specific Mage archetype that’s not getting support, the old Tempo-Secret Mage.

If you are stuck on that archetype then you will be dissatisfied on Standard moving forward.

And let’s get real here. Wild Tempo-Secret Mage is insane and you admit to piloting that poorly. If you can’t pilot that, you aren’t going to successfully pilot any other kind of Mage.

1 Like

I disagree with what you said. I love the idea
of spell mage, but as I said to Drum, I want to be the one slinging the spells, not praying for RNGeezus to win or lose the game for me. i would love to see it get more straight forward support cards.
The entire slot machine theme just irritates me.
And? when you start this game on a new account the class you start with? is mage.
Also, I leveled to platinum 3 without help from anyone. So I might be average, but I’m not awful.

1 Like

You do the tutorial in Mage.

They specifically taylor the tutorial to it.

It could be changed to fit any class.

But it is mage they use. Just sayin’

I was never addressing any criticism regarding the play style of the deck.

I can’t defend the deck from “I don’t like how it plays”, because it would be ludicrous of me to claim ownership over your likes and dislikes.

But your intense dislike of it does not have anything to do with anything I said about its potential and your problems piloting the deck.

If only they added a new class with no card generation RNG…

I highly doubt that would help me as the only cards I have are mage. I went F2P long ago and dusted everything else in order to focus on what was (at that time) the easiest, and most straight forward class. i recognized that I do not have the same grasp of the game that others do and so, went with the class that I felt I understood best.
Not anymore. Now it’s jank with extra jank! and for a limited time only! bonus jank.
And I should be clear: Spell mage can be very good.
Fun even. But I feel it needs more support.

So you boxed yourself into a corner that you don’t like.

And you already DEd all the DH cards too. Must have been very sad for you when they nerfed them the next day.

Every class undergoes changes. A year ago Rogue was an aggro class, Hunter was playing mechs, and Priest was just dead. If you want to play a specific play style with a specific class, then you play Wild.

And I am. That doesn’t mean I cannot express my opinion here on how disappointed I am with the new cards. Everyone else does it and i am not hurting anyone with my posts.

Type Here. Use Markdown, BBCode, or HTML to format.

I’ve just experienced the worst hardest counter to my no minion spell mage deck…
Bad luck albatross res priest… My butt is still on fire :fire: :angry:

1 Like

Yeah… that’s probably its worst matchup.

However, I’ve spanked several Priests pretty hard yesterday with Cyclone Mage in return.

Would have loved Mages if ice barrier was instant… noone sees a druid playing healing touch and its a better recovery card then ice barrier…

1 Like

Right now with spellmage I know for a fact most spell mages are being played with the wrong mindset. Assuming its a “auto pilot” is so… So far wrong. Its win condition most the time actually comes from generating things that generate more things until you can completely and fantastically out value nearly any deck. Your never gonna win or play the same game twice. You really have to think about when to freeze and when too skip too. It reminds me alot of cyclone mage. You cant just craft it and think your gonna pull 60%+ winrate the first few days, you really gotta commit to playing it.

3 Likes