Fair warning Rant: Spell mage

I remember Ben Brode apologizing for By My Side! And it ended up pretty good.

I have tried both Spell Mage and Spell Hunter and Mage works surprisingly well. It’s not super OPOP, but it’s doing better than the Paladin Librams so many people were fawning over for the last couple of weeks.

Hell I even tried the full meme version with the Quest and I was very surprised at the results.

It’s no Op at all. It’s mediocre, just like every mage offering of late.
The entire class has been relegated to the level of a fart joke.
Worth a laugh, but no one takes it seriously

1 Like

It’s Tier 2.

Better than anything Paladin, Warrior, or Shaman have right now, and it’s unique.

Opinions vary . I think its the most boring thing I’ve played in six years.
And where are you getting your data from please?’
'cause I find that ranking really optimistic.
Albatross, which every deck I meet seems to run , ruins this deck.

Imma steal this thread to ask a question to yall spell mages

For you that play spell mage with “Raid the sky temple” quest
I’ve played 12 games and havnt got a single polymorph out of the hero power, is it not included?

spell damage is a whiff because Blizz won’t give mages anymore direct damage than they already have. They need to reconsider mana costs for all of mages’ old spells. Mage hasn’t had an actual damage or protection spell in years while the rest of the classes have had their damage, healing, armor, etc. updated.

HSREPLAY is the only one with meta data right now.

Of course the data is volatile at this point, but it’s doing way better than anybody imagined.

1 Like

Can mountain giant please comeback a lot of decks I was going to tinker with suddenly got scrapped I realized. Yeah Mage is a real pile right now. No minion mage is like what the hell am I trying to do to kill my opponent? Slowly its like hmm I think my minions are better spells generators then my spells, and my spells generate more minions then my minions! Wait what are we doing…

1 Like

I just use Freeze Mage in Standard. The deck runs mostly spells and uses Imprisoned Observer and Deep Freeze to help control the board. Khadgar + Sidequest also lets you add a lot of board presence while still playing defensively.

Incanter’s Flow really does bring the deck together. 2 mana to pay 1 mana less on all spells in the deck is a ton of value.

Currently playing this list below which feels really balanced between tempo and freeze.

Currently 67% win rate from 9 games climbing from platinum 5 to 3 so far.

I was running a few different lists before this one with 53% ish win rate just to get a feel for the deck, but this list feels the best so far.

Cards I cut so far:

-Blizzard: too slow and doesnt develop anything on board.
-Deep Freeze: too slow at full mana and marginally better at 6/7 mana. Can be good vs OTK DH to keep him perma frozen.
-Box: Decent “oh sh*t” button but didn’t find it reliable or worth sitting in my hand for 10 turns.

It you can get Draconic in the mulligan and curve into Apexis blast then youre in a really good spot.

Spells

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Phoenix

1x (1) Evocation

2x (1) Font of Power

2x (1) Learn Draconic

2x (1) Magic Trick

2x (1) Ray of Frost

2x (2) Ancient Mysteries

2x (2) Frostbolt

2x (2) Incanter’s Flow

2x (3) Arcane Intellect

2x (3) Frost Nova

2x (3) Ice Barrier

2x (3) Netherwind Portal

2x (4) Fireball

2x (5) Apexis Blast

2x (8) Power of Creation

1x (10) The Amazing Reno

AAECAf0EAoy2A8W4Aw67AqsEywTtBJYFn5sDoJsD/50D9KsD8a8DwbgDwrgDjLkDgb8DAA==

for research’s sake i’m going to give your deck a try, and ty.

Progress update, just hit Platinum 1

Proof:
htt ps://imgur.com/tQbnS7n

It’s an awesome deck - you can pretty easily freeze your opponent’s board for seven or even ten turns, basically. Fun and interactive for sure!

well, call me a skeptic. I currently have a 33% win rate over 14 matches in a row with the identical deck. Guess your luck on spells is better than mine, which is precisely why I hate the deck and blizzard.
Other classes get curve draw heal armor. Mage gets make a wish.

I was doing my quest for DH. This spell mage, had a great draw. Cycled and completely their quest early, froze my board and had apprentice up with 3 Incanter’s Flow’s played. Still won on turn 8 because of Antaem just killing their board and Priestess of Fury back to back. They probably played a million things but they have no board. : /

My name is Bob. My spell mage is currently 9-3 at diamond 2.
Im running no quest card BUT I am running the 10 cost amazing reno hero card. I believe it is much better right now than people realize, mainly because alot of the new spells are very powerfull and alot of the weaker spells rotated out so you can really highroll rng better than before.

Just one guys opinion… Stay safe out there guys! Semper Fidelas

2 Likes

i say the meta has not adjusted to spell mage and once it does the deck will be MOR at best. Right now everyone is teching against DH. That won’t last.

My first bit of real good fortune from Reno. Waited until the last possible time to play him vs a Big Druid then the shenanigans happened.

Cleared his board and two turns later Reno cast mass res and brought back two avalanches, Kael’thas and Khadgar. I top decked magic trick in to evocation and went off with Kael’thas and spells including conjurers calling on an avalanche in to two winged guardians.

Game was completely lost and I ended up winning. I’m 3 wins from Legend climbing from rank 5 no stars.

Replay
htt ps://hsreplay.net/replay/iZruoWYtUAo6zExh9XnPXf

Thanks for posting that Teo…

In wild right now I’ve been playing a Baku build with tempo from Arc Missiles/Cinderstorm and the Flamewakers… I combines it with the Elementals that bump your hero power and then then high value finishers like Animated Avalanche, Dragoncaller Allanna Greater Arc Missiles.
fun stuff before the rotation

1 Like

I haven’t played mage (as or against) much, but I’m sensing that it’s where pure paladin was last expansion. The idea is interesting but just one expansion of stuff isn’t enough. Even another expansion might not do it, as paladins right now aren’t looking great.

Right now there isn’t enough fire power to go all spells. By firepower this means both ways to kill enemy boards and to do face damage.

Though a big part of it might just be the meta. Locks are having fun preying on DH. If locks rise up hunters and rogues might rise up to them, and in the cycle there might be room for pallies or mages or warriors or whoever

3 Likes