Eyestalk of cthun

Playing the meta is as old as the CCG. Yes, you very much can make your own decks and play them in the meta and contrary to popular belief make legend. I do it all the time and so do MANY other players on this forum. That doesn’t mean i won’t put certain cars in my deck knowing they will help me with a majority of the net decks. In fact i would be foolish not to exploit those players.

I do not think you are being a “Karen”. I was merely pointing out that you must accept that some cards need to be played if you want to “win more”. If you want to play what you want by all means do so. Just be realistic and understand playing with lower probability winning cards will lead to more loses.

1 Like

Your word is a point of why this game was never good considering:

Gadgetzan was made purely for exploits. So was Cult Master, Starving Buzzard, to a lesser extent - Mana Wyrm, Undertaker. Why are there some cards that exploit to fundamentally break the game in one way or another, but some cards that make no impact nor have any value in the game whatsoever and may never have value nor impact years from now? Why would this game even be a CCG if you collect cards that have no value nor impact at all, ever? The CCG aspect could use some work. Otherwise, it’s like we are just collecting grains of sand at a beach or something. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Thanks.

BGH is core and legacy at the same time
because of this you can use the core one on your twist deck no need to craft

You misunderstand the context of exploit in the post. When i say exploit i mean that the net decks take a copy of a deck online and known card for card. This gives you the flexibility when a meta is made up of a large portion of those types of decks to exploit a weakness in the deck and beat it.

An example is currently that we have multiple greedy control decks that are top tier. They will regularly Mulligan for their best late game card in deck. This has led to BDK coming back into the meta because they can play multiple cards that hunt those card sin hand to remove them, Dirty Rat, Theotar and Patchwerk. Warlock has a great trump to greed like this in Immolation so you see it in Warlock decks or at least a copy in ETC.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the CCG structure as it has been an outdated thing for a while but still finds life to be relevant. The LCG design is much more consumer friendly.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by BDK, nor LCG, nor ETC; nor do I know what Theotar or Immolation are, but don’t you think I grasped the general context of “exploit” for a broader definition and understanding than just your context for the sake of betterment?

Do you really think that to

is a good way for everyone to play who wants to win (continually) in this game? Seems like grasping for straws or something like that.

You’ve pinpointed one of the issues with balancing the meta, which I’ve already mentioned above: from the very beginning, instead of fixing ‘broken’ cards, archetypes, mechanics, interactions and so on, they’d ‘release’ these so-called ‘hate cards’, supposed to counter them specifically. I’ve always been against this design approach, to be honest.

Nothing personal, but that’s what I referred to as being a ‘metagame hussy’ above, or, more precisely, bad game design in which being one is the winning strategy.

An extreme example of that would be a game of rock, paper and scissors. You know somehow (with some information from outside of the game, which is literally the definition of the ‘metagame’, or shortened to ‘meta’, as opposed to what some people assume) that ‘everyone’ is playing rock, so you go with paper instead. In time, the popularity of paper rises, so some ‘clever’ players switch to scissors. One more iteration, and ‘everyone’ is playing rock once again. There are people who fancy themselves as experts, ‘meta analysts’, as they’d put it, writing ‘meta reviews’, as if it were some kind of science — and they’ve even invented a term for what’s described here: ‘meta cycles’.

The sad truth hidden behind these big words, however, is that the gameplay itself is more or less meaningless, as are a player’s skill or decisions in the game, and the most ‘successful’ one is the most flexible — or lucky — ‘meta-hore’ who happens to ride this tide just ahead of yet another wave crest, so to speak. This is indicative of a bad design — just bad and unfun, even if it’s perfectly balanced, as ‘rock-paper-scissors’ are, mind you, which isn’t even always the case.

The opposite pole would be chess. Sure, you can use some metagame information, e.g. what kinds of positions or openings your opponent prefers or plays best, to prepare for a match, but generally, the outcome of any game is mostly determined but what each of the two players does at the board and their decisions during the game, not by what the bulk of other players prefer to do. I think this could be achieved by good design, the aforementioned ‘hate cards’ being a typical counterexample of it, with a decent level of strategic depth and diversity of playable archetypes, decks, cards and so on. The closer you are to this, the more you’ll realise that every competitive deck that you’d face could be an ‘off-meta’ deck, at least ideally.

Sure, it’s easier to just cobble up a few obvious deck archetypes for a rock-paper-scissors-like scheme (insert your ‘aggro’, ‘control’, ‘combo’ or ‘midrange’ instead, and here you are) for a semblance of a ‘diverse and balanced meta’, but it’s less fun, although it’s probably cheaper to make and more profitable to sell.

PS One more thing: instead of refining a game, like chess has been, resulting in a masterpice of game design, much appreciated over centuries, it’s apparently more advantageous for them to appease the false idol of 'nEw CoNtEnT:crazy_face: and keep selling their junk at regular intervals. See also this on the subject (yeah, repeating myself again), including why this fetish is not always even good for a game, Chess 960 being a prime example.

Despite being such a masterpiece, chess is so hard to monetise, yes, there’s that.

1 Like

Nah, BGH saw no play since it was nerfed in Old Gods/when formats were introduced. Staple inclusion before that though. You are clearly misremembering.

BDK - Blood Death Knight
ETC - E.T.C. Band Manager

LCG or living card game is a monetisation model introduced by Fantasy Flight for Netrunner, a Cyberpunk 2020 card game, where you pay a lump sum, say 100 bucks, and you get the whole card set, enough to create any deck.

1 Like

This is literally what the answer is

It’s literally not (because of theme decks with too many parts, and because it makes the game into a “wait and see” lesson like how the Hearthstone Developers develop Hearthstone).

Yeah, the ‘hate cards’ against overpowered cards is definitely a design philosophy I disagree with too.

But they are in fact the answer, your brain is just to smooth to understand

eh, it’s just an agenda to push. I disagree with hate cards to counter overpowered cards. You, apparently, don’t.

I got one for you… How do you counter undercosted N’Zoth bounced back from a Spare Part without Priest?? Hmmm???

This post isnt about that, go make a new thread

1 Like

LOL. “I invoke the 5th!”

Either make new post or dont,its up to you

No need. I already know there is no way because this game sucks. Thanks for trying to derail to another pointless thread like my opinions and/or threads matter at all though.

Whats the name of this thread?

Derail (to name the name of this thread pertaining to discussion about overpowered cards relating to old gods).

Pretty sure that the topic is only about 1 old god, not all of them

1 Like