Error Starting Your Game

Periodically continue to get there was an error starting your game try again in a few minutes. This happens multiple times weekly and sometimes takes hours until I can play again and the error goes away. I play on an iPad.

1 Like

This error happens most often when you were not disconnected properly from a previous match or are experiencing active connection issues reaching the match service.

Troubleshooting is pretty limited on mobile devices due to the nature of the device but you can try the following to see if it helps the issue.

Powering down the device and then starting it back up can often solve these types of issues.

Can you switch between Cellular and a WiFi network. See if the issue persists on both network types. If the issue appears only on one connection type, then it is an issue with that connection specifically. for Cellular you would need to work with the Cell data provider. For WiFi, you would need to look at the WiFi Network.

Sometimes you can clear out bad cached network data by resetting your battle.net account password via the website and then relaunching the game.

If that doesn’t work, let’s go ahead and uninstall, then reinstall the game application. I recommend restarting the phone after uninstalling.

Now this is not a step we recommend lightly but if you are comfortable with the process you can try doing a complete factory reset of the device and then load only core apps and the client. This means setting the device up as new and not syncing previous cloud settings.

This has been happening to me for like an hour on PC. Happens once in a while but all day today.

3 Likes

This has been happening to me trying to start a wild match in my Asia account for the last two days everytime I try and start the battle. The European and American accounts have no problems. It is occuring on multiple devices also.

2 Likes

This has been happening to me today, after I crafted a new Wild deck. I’m playing on a Windows PC, Europe account

1 Like

For this particular and recent “error starting game” bug, it doesn’t appear to be a connection issue. This seems to be a more frequent error and has mostly happened within the past few updates and patches even if you didn’t get disconnected. This newer game start bug seems to be happening with the edit and save deck system. For me, even waiting days or months, the buggy deck won’t allow you to start a game with that deck ever again. Decks that you haven’t edited work fine. It happens randomly to whatever deck you edit and I haven’t been able to pinpoint what cards or champion it always happens to. So far I’ve had issues with shaman, priest, paladin, warlock, mage but it happen to all of them. I’m wildly guessing that it could be something with the recently released cards and/or not saving certain cards in your deck properly after you exit out of edit deck mode.

HERE’S A TEMPORARY FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME:
I was able to get the game/deck to finally start immediately by copying the non-working deck and “pasting” it into a new empty deck. I just have to remember to delete the duplicates and rename the new ones to make some space for decks. This particular game start bug may be different from other game start bugs (due to connection issues). I didn’t have any connection issues. I didn’t try uninstalling and reinstall yet but I’ll deal with this bug for now until Blizzard addresses this common issue. I’m not factory resetting my device just for this game to work properly. LOL. For this bug, it has to be a fix on Blizzard’s end because I am getting games to start without error by copying and pasting the duplicate buggy deck.

Another issue, I still see from time to time, is that after I edit my deck the next game I play would use a previously saved version of that deck. Basically, a card that was not suppose to be in my newly saved deck (but was in the previously saved deck) would be drawn during game play. It’s hard to catch this bug as it could be just a couple cards that you edited in or out from the previous deck. After the game is over, I would go back to the deck editor and verify if the “old” cards that were drawn in the recent deck I just played with was in the deck. The “old” cards won’t usually be in the deck. But after exiting out of edit deck mode and trying another game with the same deck, it will usually have the correct cards and deck. So I’m thinking that sometimes there could be a slight delay in saving a deck.

I wouldn’t doubt it’s a save deck bug. There was another edit deck glitch a while ago where the deck creation would somehow let you save more than 30 cards. But when you try to start a game with that bugged 30+ card deck, it would give an error when you start a game. I don’t think that issue is there anymore but it reminded me of how buggy the edit/save deck system is in Hearthstone.

5 Likes

Can confirm it’s specific to decks. problem occurred for me, both on mobile and pc, with a deck i had just edited. copy and pasting the deck does remedy the issue. thank you.

3 Likes

any word on this issue ? It’s probably more than 24hours at this point that it’s broken

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.