Does Arbor up needs a nerf? What would it be?

I think it does need a nerf, and the classic +1 mana cost, might be the right obvios option.

EDIT: Or finaly nerfing some mana cheting cards might be good as well.

3 Likes

No. The card is only good because of Glowfly and that thing is gonna rotate in a couple of months.

Druid has a very bad early game and I doubt we’d see an exact reprint of Glowfly so it needs Arbor Up to be competitive at all.

1 Like

If you look at the 3 highest win rate decks using Arbor Up you’ll see that Glowfly Swarm has a higher mulligan win rate by far. As Villain says, that rotates soon.

That card is great and even better with solar eclipse.
Nerfing one of those might be optional?

1 Like

Wait, got confused for a second. I think Glowfly is not rotating. Forgot it was from Ashes.

But either way it’s the far more important card in current swarm decks compared to Arbor Up.

3 Likes

I don’t think either needs a nerf. At least not yet.

It’s been one week. Let the meta settle first. Tiller needed a nerf because it was too strong and consistent with no real way to play around it. Glowfly into Arbor up is super strong but isn’t in nearly the same league. Let the meta react before trying to nuke it.

As soon as I saw arbour up, I thought it would have been nerfed in a couple days

I’d wait to see if Druid gets any genuinely good early game swarm cards before touching either Glowfly Swarm or Arbor. And I don’t doubt the next expansion will introduce more control tools.

Otherwise Druid might end up with unusable swarm archetype cards for another freaking year and stay in the “incomprehensible identity” dumpster.

Exactly. It’s a terrifying combo if you pull it off. If the opponent gets a board they’ll just repeated wipe yours and make arbor up meaningless or beat you to death while you try to ramp into Solar Eclipse + Arbor Up.

Gibberling and Adorable Infestation will remain in Standard with Arbor Up, so there’s at least some cheap token generation for Druid.

There’s also Nature Studies, Guidance, Resizing Pouch and Runic Carvings to help get more stuff. The first three also help Gibberling.

Fungal Fortunes and Guess the Weight help with draws. Lightning Bloom can cheat out Glowfly or Arbor Up early.

These are purely Ashes, Scholomance and MDF cards. And if you grab them all you have 24 cards slotted in.

Gibberling is a very bad early game card without busted buffs like Lotus in Standard.

Goru, Aeroponics and the best hard ramp Druid has (Overgrowth) are gonna rotate. Druid hasn’t received any hard ramp cards for ages.

Also I have a sneaking suspicion that Roar may be out of the Classic set soon.

Right now you can play aggro (DH, Zoolock, Face Hunter), midrange (Paladin, Evo Shaman) or controlly decks (Warrior, Priest) that deal just fine with Swarm Druid, so just leave the class alone for the time being, honestly.

1 Like

I expect that with 1 or 2 more good token/token support cards Druids will have a solid (Tier 2+) token deck in Standard. And with more support, Token Druids could become realistic targets for a nerf.

Overgrowth is Ashes of Outland card. That said I’m not even sure if overgrowth is optimal card for these druid decks. From what I played it just sat many times in my hand since I had to innvervate out stuff earlier than I could do ramp. Currently running only as 1 off in my deck.

Right. Jesus, some of these cards feel like they were added ages ago.

Yeah Overgrowth is not essential but it’s a definite include (at least 1 copy) into the Goru swarm deck, which looks like the best one so far. And Goru does leave soon along with Aeroponics.

I’m pretty sure deck would do better if people dropped Goru from it. But we don’t have enough data with different decks so I’m just talking out of my butt here. I don’t run it and never felt deck suffered in any way because of it. Granted I have only about 40 games played with it so far.

Goru is essential in higher mmr where Priests and Warriors pop up quite often. He just makes the deck more well rounded.

The thing is if you go into turns 6-7+ against priest or warrior with the deck that already lowers your chances of winning quite a lot. I’d rather focus on getting consistent early board and savage roar off than have a 7 mana minion that is many times do nothing on the turn it’s played, especially against said priests and warriors. I don’t think you can say with certainty that it’s essential when you do not have the data to back up your claim. Until we do I’m not convinced that it’s a good fit for the deck.

The larger issue is probably the ramp. Playing it straight arbor up comes out at 5 mana with a previous glowfly also at 5 mana means turn 6 is the earliest that wombo combo comes out. At that mana point you have numerous board clear options to answer it. Since the ramp not going to change Druid has to pay for it by having what normally would be borderline between fair/broken cards nerfed for being too good too early, Ancient of Lore is a good example of this.

It doesn’t. There’s far more broken stuff in the game than Arbor Up.

I’ve seen pros/streamers argue for/against it. Seems like a wild card.

I don’t own Goru. I’ve been running a single copy of The Forest’s Aid. It has been a very good reload tool vs. control and absolutely amazing in the mirror.

1 Like