Do you enjoy Deck Building?

I enjoy making my own decks, AKA, homebrewing. On ladder and even in casual, and perhaps understandably so, I really only see netdecked meta decks. I have nothing against this, I assure you. Albeit, I’d love to see more variation in the decks I face. And so this brings me to the question, do you enjoy constructing your own decks?

5 Likes

Yeah, I enjoy trying to make a deck out of the worst class in the meta, I dont know why I force myself to suffer, but I enjoy it.

3 Likes

Nope. They almost always suck unless I stumble into a netdeck by accident. I’d rather leave the refining and optimization of decks to much smarter people than myself and just have fun playing and winning with good decks

5 Likes

Same. Trying to make quest priest work again. I’m 7-26 so far. Kind of impossible when the majority of matchups are mages and warlocks. Not even a chance.

4 Likes

Haha, woah! Props for your immense patience, my friend! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I love trying to build my own decks, unfortunately I’m awful at it.
I generally ask for help or net deck.

3 Likes

I used to in previous metas, but I find this meta is particularly difficult to succeed. I also find the quests are extremely linear in nature, so if you build a deck around them blindfolded, you’re very likely to be adjacent to at least one of the netdeck versions. I think the latter is both good and bad. Unlike say, the same secret pally deck from last meta over and over and over, I am sometimes intrigued by certain tech inclusions or variations of the quest decks which I feel I see more than our previous meta (which is to say, I see a lot more netdeck-adjacent variations, which keeps things mildly interesting). I’d like them to lean into tradeable/tech cards because I think it fosters more creativity without entirely gimping your deck.

Edit: To elaborate on the above, I’ve found it particularly hard to homebrew this meta because so much of the meta is teched to include neophytes/watch-posts which means you absolutely cannot afford to run anything that is not fully optimized and/or aggressive.

2 Likes

Also hard SAME. I’m bad, but I’ve accepted this.

1 Like

This meta, I made a Shadow Corrupt Priest deck that can beat most non quest decks, but the quest matchup is so bad that I can only push up to D4 with it.

Yes but it’s very hard. I like it best when even the “meta” decks have some flexibility and slots to experiment with or refine.

2 Likes

Do you find this meta flexible enough to homebrew effectively? I’m finding it nearly impossible.

Deckbuilding is fun, but this meta not possible. Just look at hearthpwn, usually full of offmeta decks, now just almost nothing. Very sad.

5 Likes

It also doesn’t help that the questlines are quite central to this expansion, and usually require a ton of your deck built a very specific way to make work.

I find that it’s the overall speed of the game that is limiting my ability to make new and fun things.

In many earlier metas if I wanted to make a wacky deck based on a silly 10 drop, I could build my deck to stall out to that point.

Nowadays, there really isn’t much you can do to push back the game clock. Some decks are weak to that, but others just beat you harder because you tried. That leaves the fast strategies, which most have been found and or optimized at this point.

3 Likes

Homebrew decks are unplayable right now. Quest inevitability is back-breaking for anything that is not ultra efficient.

6 Likes

Yeah. It feels good when you refine a deck idea into something which works. Especially when it’s something that strays from the idea of optimal.

2 Likes

“go aggro or gtfo” if you care about winning
if you want to experiment or have fun? we, we don’t do those things around here anymore i suppose.

(yes, i’m exagerating)

1 Like

Not too distant from the truth, it would seem. :frowning:

Yep, not so much at the moment though, this is the first meta in the last couple of years where I haven’t reached d5 or higher with an off meta deck.

I love deckbuilding. It’s the best part of the game for me. I have to admit the only difference between homebrewing and net decks is that net decks are crowd sourced. So I don’t have anything against those who netdeck. They are working with more data gathered by others. I just prefer to build and tweak a deck by myself for fun.

Of course I enjoy my creations. Most of my homebrews remain around a 50% wr, Although my OTK rhino deck (Which has a 60% wr my best ever) is the first one I have gotten tired of playing and I only use it to get to legend, than switch to another deck.

I have been surprised I created the Rhino OTK deck day one and now I have seen a few streamers use variation of it (Tars and MarkMckz).

When I switch to my control home brew from last expansion. I had to exchange Nozdormu for a card that would benefit me and that was Mutanus. Mutanus gives you some flexibility when facing quest decks, but you really have to play very abnormally, to bait your opponent to finish their quest without the appropriate amount of mana to play it.

I would not mind extra leeway with making homebrew decks more efficiently this expansion. Mostly so I can play cards that are of no benefit like Nozdormu.