DK Soulstealer needs adjustment

This card needs a huge adjustment. Needs to cost 10 mana and NOT give any souls if it is going to wipe an entire board no matter how big the mobs are.

5 Likes

Blood DK doesn’t use corpses for much, outside of corpse explosion and whatever nonsense effects they discover into. I’m not offended they have a corpse generator in a deck that conventionally does not have much in the way of that.

I’m offended it’s a board wipe attached to a non legendary minion, for 8 mana. It’s like a good deathwing with upsides instead of downsides.

5 Likes

it needs some downside. Card cost in hand per minion removed.

I do agree that it needs a change, considering there’s really no downside besides being a 3-Blood Rune card (which doesn’t really matter when you can Discover from other Rune pools anyway). Maybe dealing damage to their hero considering Blood DK is (Supposedly) about gaining and sacrificing health as a resource.

Board wipe for 8 mana is too slow these days and you need something extra to make it viable. 6 mana Entitled Customer was already barely playable, but Twisting Nether for 8 isn’t playable at all, so Soulstealer obviously had to be better to see any play.

2 Likes

It’s not really soulstealer it’s just the fact that blood dk has a removal from turns 1-8 basically. It’s hyper-control and boring.

There’s better and then there’s broken…

OH BS I swear you all act like the game(s) are over before turn 8 while this can happen it doesn’t happen nearly as much as you like to claim.

Okay, so what was the last successful deck (not some meme, at least T2) in standard, using Twisting Nether? Cube Lock… 4 years ago?

Thaddius lock uses twisting nether right now.

1 Like

I said at least T2, not T3/T4 deck…

Then you don’t know what a T2 deck is. Get out of here with that take.

1 Like

Stop, he’s already dead!

T2 you say? It’s probably true in bronze, but not necessarily anywhere else.

Considering Obliterate was changed because boo hoo having a 2 mana Assassinate is not good enough, I don’t think Blizzard is interested in making cards with downsides. HS is a lot like YGO now where the philosophy isn’t about balancing cards around strengths and weaknesses, it’s about ‘do I get more value or less value here,’ and they’d probably consider it a ‘huge nerf’ if it didn’t generate corpses, let alone having some kind of real cost. This is honestly being gracious since YGO is actually more balanced than HS is right now and kind of has been for the last several years despite popular misconception.

The existence of Soulstealer outright wins matchups. You can’t win the early game because of Asphyxiate and Obliterate, you can’t win the midgame because of Blood Boil (probably the most fair of all their removal) and Corpse Explosion, and you can’t win the late game because of Soulstealer and Corpse Explosion (again). If you play passive then they can just wait for you to play cards and if you’re aggressive you just get punished. It’s a gross over simplification since clearly Blood DK is losing to pure Pally, but it wins against Frost DK and pure Pally is broken anyway and no other aggro deck is even competing with it in terms of speed or power.

The crazy thing is that they have 6 standard removal options (being x2 Blood Boil, x2 Corpse Explosion, x2 Soulstealer) and can flex in Obliterate and Heart Strike for up to 10 removal spells if they really wanted to, but the kicker is that they don’t even need to run these cards, they can just discover them because Hematurge allows them to flex removal or wincons in Patchwork or Alexandros Mograine, but then you have Nerubian Vizier and School Teacher who just put the deck absolutely overboard.

The amount of cards they have access to that just allow them to flex discover whatever they want for any situation is insane. It’s why I think Discover, as a mechanic, needs to be changed. Either it needs to come at a premium cost since it’s a premium mechanic or it needs to start discovering the cards (not copies) from your deck.

Maybe make it so it destroys 1 enemy minion for every 2 corpses you have?

If you took Soulstealer out of the game, Tony/Jailer would run rampant. It is the single best card for keeping that stupid combo in check

1 Like

it costs 8 mana thats enough

bit late, old topic i know, but the card is ridiculous, costs 8 to destroy everything. Completely agree as someone said in this thread, make it destroy a minion for every 2 corps you have.
Bye the way, Heartstone has too much destroy everything, it’s even worse with Titan now.
You build something and it gets erased easily.

1 Like

nah I would like to keep it as it is, unless blizzard starts to nerf mana cheat so you can’t vomit 40/40 stats on board for 7 mana.

1 Like