Declining Hearthstone Player base?

as i have stated before: that doesn’t appear to be the case when i looked at some other mobile games.

Many thanks for the stats. Everyone noticed the huge giveaways (free starter deck, more free packs, gold, cards…). They started investing in some modern developement of the game, which they never did. Question is not if, nor “how much” hs is failing, but “can it” be saved? Politics aside, the strategy was to ignore western players and go to china to sell packs, but that failed due to several reasons, and now the fanbase is alinated from years of abuses from blizzard (yhea, see not giving anything, not even the autosquelch button where it leads you…)

Always hated the way they sell bundles: 10 packs per different expansions, to lower your chances of getting a legendary. Also everyone know they manipulate matchmaking, even if no one ever bothered looking into it with numbers. And speaking of cheating customers: go checks the endless list of cards which is a reprint of something we already had (the most famouse of which is magma rager, reprinted every exp).

Ps: kinda salty for the autosquelch button. Kinda salty that they are going to introduce a way to change order for your decks, feels like a slap to the face. The program is extra heavy on pc becouse is not optimized. On android sucks becouse is 10x heavier than it should be, plus is made to drop frames on everything. If instead of giving crumbs to developers you could have had them well fed and interested in the product, things would be a lot better.

Not to forgert: trolls on the forum that never gets banned, mods that bash anyone with criticism of hs with alt accounts. Yhea, silencing voices is really the way to go, it really helped forming a community that can glue players together so you dont lose them.

6 Likes

Imagine you login to Hearthstone and your first match of the day is Demon Hunter.

Oh goodie! I only played against 50 braindead decks yesterday.

Braindead decks that go like this every time.

Turn 1 Battlefiend
Turn 2 Umberwing Weapon summon two 1/1s attack and buff Battlefirnd
Turn 3 Frozen Shadoweaver
Turn 4 drop Taunt Lifesteal Ashtongue Battlelord
Turn 5 Equip Warglaives of Azzinoth attack endlessly because how many minions turns 1 - 4 have more that 3 health? Or have that much health trying to claim the board after trading?

And call it game for the Demon Hunter.

Wow. Such exciting thrilling game play. So intriguing. So much skill needed to win game of Hearthstone in its current state knowing by turn 3 of every match who is going to win or lose.

7 Likes

I have switched to LoR and enjoying that game very much. Very little RNG and very f2p friendly.
i don’t enjoy HS at the current moment. patiently waiting for some changes. if nothing happens in the next month or two, it will be time to move on and say goodbye.
may be people like me has an impact on the Hearthstone player base?

7 Likes

There are several reasons for it.

1. You play against the same 5-6 decks. The last ‘unique deck’ I could think of was one Evolve Shaman player 2 weeks ago. In other games the devs try to make multiple archtypes competitive at the same time so you can feasibly have 10 or 15 competitive decks. Also even bad decks can win sometimes because there isn’t as much gap to Tier 1 decks. Because we don’t get monthly balance changes like nearly every other online CCG, people are bored with the meta 1-2 weeks after it settles.

2. Hearthstone is grindy and expensive. When I think I have to wait 2 days to get 1 pack where in other games I open 4-5 packs a day, I’m kinda disincentived to really play more than 1-2 decks. That also leads to staleness pretty quick. I bought the Dragon Bundle and opened 2 Legendaries. So out of 75 legendaries in Year of the Dragon, my $30 bought me 1/37th of them, wow.

3. Excessive RNG. Some people believe that RNG keeps the game fresh. I don’t know if they’ve actually played slot machines but you very quickly realize that RNG alone gets boring, fast. There is a lot more fun to be had trying to out-think your opponent than roll the dice and hope your RNG spell/lackey saves your a$$. RNG in small proportions is fine and fun but we’re so far away from that that games feel like they’re decided more by the game than the player.

Ultimately that rounds up the current game as not in a fun state. Would the adventure improve things? Highly doubt it, all the bad elements of the game carried over adventures and expansions. People thought that Ashes of Outlands would make the things better (and kinda did with no RNG in the new class) but then they decided to dial up the RNG elements again in other classes (hello Hanar and other cards like him). HS has been declining for a while, I remember there was a lot of hype in Witchwood and then the game became super stale for several months and it hasn’t recovered since.

7 Likes

team 5 is currently afk…

the next adventure is still mia

balance still not found.

people need to leave if dev’s are giving us the deaf tone.

3 Likes

I am a player from day 1. This expansion was the final straw for me. A lot of big numbers and RNG with low skill to make the game appeal to as many people as possible. Bad game design across the board. Pay to win in Battlegrounds with locking 50% of the hero selection and to make it worse it’s only for a few months after that you have to do it all over again. Constant pushing of power creep. And most losses and wins are not based on skill but RNG or just pure OP cards.
I have invested years and money into this game and that is not enough to keep me going. This state of the game is NOT fun and if some enjoy it good for them a lot of people do not. No amount of feedback on the forums will change the game philosophy or design only the loss of people will be noticed.
A few days ago I uninstalled. I do not plan to reinstall and I don’t plan to feel bad over it. There are a metric ton of good games both digital and physical. And for the bunch of busy bodies on the forums I am here and I am using a PUBLIC forums as someone who has spend YEARS playing the game.

10 Likes

O look it’s “another on of these” pointless replies that contributes nothing to the post and makes the poster feel “so edgy” but in reality is just a waste of digital space.

5 Likes

Well a lot of people consider the Burning Crusade to be the best expansion in WoW’s history. The addition of a new class. A new expansion. A rotation of a year. A lot of things to excite current players, interest new players and entice old players to return. Slowly people build up some wait for the expansion others get in the game to prepare. And the big day comes. The expansion drops and… it’s a dumpster fire. Massive power creep, lack of balance, all the top decks are annoying, BIG NUMBERS low skill, the Demon Hunter is broken beyond belief, Battleground is pay to win, not a word from the dev team and the “balance” patch is to destroy a card that has existed since day one because it’s a problem for the new teacher’s pet the Demon Hunter…
Cue the disappointment, outrage, buyers remorse etc. And when people want to vent the few jokers on the forums show up with “hur hur git gut” “uninstall” and so on without understanding that without players the game will not thrive.
By the way I have NEVER seen the forums this united over anything. That alone should be a massive alarm bell over the state of the game.

5 Likes

I think, with this expansion, Activision-Blizzard had lots of things in mind. but ultimately flopped.

They probably wanted the WoW player base, using nostalgia, to get them to play HS. : “hey Illidan is in this game now and you can play him”. Also, heard something about Burning crusade being relaunched in classic WoW. To create more Nostalgia?

Entice people who haven’t played in months to come back by offering a new class and a new deck of your choosing.

Don’t think anything they have done achieved in terms of boosting the player base. i would say that it had the complete opposite effect.

3 Likes

O it achieved something alright. I gave up on this mess. And judging by the forums and other statistics I am not the only one.

I’m on the same boat. Whenever I feel like playing the game, I always remember that I’ll have to either play one of the meta decks to have a chance at winning or play an actual fun deck that I like (spell mage) and be crushed by most galakrond decks. I guess it’s gonna be just quest completion for now until something changes.

1 Like

people clearly do not like aggro decks in hearthstone. thats all i see here.

1 Like

It’s not aggro that people have a problem with per say. Aggro decks have a weakness. Low defense and when they run out of steam they are done. In general they have issues with board clears and it’s harder to combat big threats. That is non-existent today. I will give you an example. I play vs a Demon Hunter I clear the board THREE times. I heal for over 30hp. And in the end I got the DH pull 13 dmg in one turn. The DH was just throwing whatever was drawn at the board. No skill just DH POWAR FACE ROFLSTOMP LAWL. That’s ridiculous. And that’s just one of the many problems.

5 Likes

it litterally just came out. games rarely add new stuff that sucks…
and thats what good aggro decks do. is DH a bit worse than others? yes but its NEW and it was designed to be aggro so yes aggro is the meta right now. It also allows players to get their gold DH sooner which people who do like DH will be happy for.

this was bound to happen when they add a new class YEARS after the release of the game. People who aren’t interested in the class will be mad because obviously its going to be good, exaserbated by the fact that its aggro which if you read enough forums people hate aggro because they cant take their time charging up to super saiyan 3 before actaully doing anything.

hopefully they add the other two classes in wow into hearthstone sooner rather than later. more cards = a more diverse metta if you ask me.

I agree with this a lot. Especially with BG. I think it’s just too much for HS to handle balancing normal HS and another game mode at the same time whereas even before BG they were not good at it.

BG is just a totally different game from HS, it shares almost zero mechanics, except some game knowledge such as deathrattles and how the work. I as a Hs player hated BG, I just didn’t like it, some people really like it but don’t really like HS. BG and normal HS are two totally different games. I think a blizzard should just make BG its own game with its own team because I honestly do not think Team5 could even handle 1 balanced game mode, let alone 4 with a new class introduced.

1 Like

Of course mobile use of Hearthstone is declining, because:

1. All the patch screw-ups over the last four months, which prevent many mobile users from being able to properly update and log in for one to thee days.

For instance, I cannot change regions right now on mobile because the confirm button is covered up with Facebook and other login options.

This kind of stuff has contributed to the decline of Hearthstone’s rating in the App Store to a 3.5 from a 4.2.

1. Powercreep, Rng, and swing mechanics are rampantly out of control. Strategy player do not enjoy the new “slot-machine” play experience that Hearthstone is becoming.

2. The big push this year has been the BGs, but mobile players are disadvantaged in this format due to how long it takes the game to resolve animations, effects, and other actions.

1 Like

I only skimmed the thread, but is it possible that the decline in mobile players could be related to so many people staying at home and playing on their PCs rather than on their phones?

From someone who didn’t play WoW, I understand the whole hype behind Illidan & Demon Hunter, but from the perspective of a NON-WoW player, why do you have a demon-HUNTER and HUNTER in the same class pool?
The overlap of “HUNTER” isn’t really exciting conceptually.
On top of that, this demon-HUNTER class is filled with op-cards trashing away all the other 9 classic classes that has been dominant for the history of HS.
Like, if Blizzard introduced a class that was really unique compared to the other 9, that might’ve been awesome, but we (those who are not articulate enough with the lore) don’t find Demon Hunter “that unique” to be a stand alone class.
If there was an alternative class that could’ve landed in hearthstone, I’d bet a class that specialized in mechs with silver color would of been absolutely cool.
Unfortunately that didn’t happen.
New demon-HUNTER, killing the 9 other classes, where is this game going, please tell me. (from a design/balancing/concept angle)

4 Likes

Well, the human population has been declining rapidly since the start of the year.