Dear Designer's

It’s not like you don’t make any meaningful decisions even though it may sometimes feel like that. I would even say to deal with an unpredictable situation is even more important to have skill and be good at the game. You just have to take the odds and do what is best in the current situation. And it certainly is much more interesting with RNG and Discover effects. That’s really what I love about it most: It’s not the same boring stuff over and over again.

And I almost forgot: I like actually playing the game (winning only as a goal to go for) and RNG can not only help get you out of a desperate situation, it also can push you back down if you’re too far ahead and the other wouldn’t have any chance. Of course for tryhards that’s not a good thing, but if you’re just trying to have fun…

Every game is based winning? Really? How about improving a skill like learning a new language as a “game”? There’s not really something to “win” except if you want to see it that way. The important thing is you’re just constantly improving upon yourself and do not try to beat others doing the same.

But to be fair you may not call this a “game”. I still think it’s important that all people involved have fun in what they’re doing and indeed losing is not fun. But why care so much about it when instead you can just enjoy the game itself regardless of whether or not you win?

I personally really just like playing the game and winning is just like calling it a day. It has to end eventually and to go for the win is a relevant objective you can follow through the game. But in no way would I fanatically focus upon winning because that way I wouldn’t enjoy about half of the games because I lost.

1 Like

Well I disagree entirely, especially if this game wishes to be taken seriously as an esports title, the devs need to stop adding in so many rng luck cards and mage certainly didnt need any more rng than it already has, it needs consistency.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see we are just different there then. I personally dislike the competitive side of Hearthstone like this esports garbage.

This seems to be the great divide amongst the playerbase these days. I’ve seen several pro players go on rampages about how RNG allows for such massive seings that remove player agency (such as the ability to nearly guarantee success by playing around what you KNOW your opponent is capable of) from the game, whike more casual players such as myself are having a fantastic time enjoying the game.

Unfortunately, a game being a visble esport means an absulte crapton of money coming in from various avenues which further interests investors, which even further bumps up the cash intake, etc. It’s all about those dollars when it comes tohow you build and market your game these days and while Hearthstone makes a strong effort to appeal to all parties, giving the casuals the zany RNG/Discover effects that can only come from a digital ccg tends to step all over the toes of those who want to take the game 100% seriously and compete for hours each day.

1 Like

Idk what there is to hype about a hero card that is basically the ultimate board clear. What is so exciting or novel about clearing boards? Okay, so they can’t be resurrected…that comes in handy maybe 1 out of 10 games if you’re lucky. It’s very boring card design.

1 Like

:point_down: This is what we need.

I don’t care if some “tryhards” want to play this game (more) “competitively” as long as I can play it as the fun RNG Clownfiesta which I love. A “tryhard” might not even enjoy playing against someone who doesn’t take the game “seriously”. And people that just play for fun might not enjoy if they meet a “tryhard” that plays only OP/broken stuff to win the game. It would be better for all.

1 Like

It’s true, I’ve actually known some folks that get actively frustrated if their opponent isn’t playing a meta deck.

Personally, I enjoy seeing both jank and meta decks whenever I play off-meta stuff, so generslly the less tryhardy portions of ranked are just fine for me. No one’s sweating at me too hard (most of the time) and my wins still count toward portraits.

I’m not a try hard by any sense of the word, only at rank 17 right now, but just now a shaman beat me because he had three hexes. Once he had played the first two, I put down a big threat, but he hexed it and won because of that. He discovered the hex from a lackey he had gotten randomly from a card generated by another card. I lost purely because he got lucky, and I hate that. You might like the “clown fiesta” but most others don’t.

That’s why I linked that suggestion of a game mode where you can play with custom rules.

If you don’t like Discover you shouldn’t be forced to play against it if you can find enough people that like to play how you would like to. Just like I would love it if you could play pre-nerf Yogg and I know there are others that feel similar. It would be better for everyone.

Ita not about being a tryhard, it’s about not wanting to get f-ed over by rng, it doesnt feel good to lose to rng and to make a hero card centered around rng just shouts bad design. I do not need more rng in this game, soon itl become flip a coin to win the game, maybe thats your thing, its certainly not mine and most players though and if you want rng go battlegrounds there you can get your dose of it. For the record not saying rng by itself is bad in a ccg but too much can be bad.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with prefers Yogg. It’s a risky play, and has probably lost quite a few games. I have a problem with ring cards that can’t hurt you in any way. When that shaman played ethereal lackey, there wasn’t a chance that it would hurt him. All RNG should have a downside, and discover changes that.

Do you guys don’t see the link? It’s about a play mode where you can play whatever way you want. If you don’t like RNG then you could just make custom rules like bans or so to counter that. I’m sure many out there would be interested in different kinds of modes where RNG is limited or completely gone or maybe even in whatever way else you want to play the game.

And why do people always say “filp a coin”? I guess that’s how it feels to a “tryhard” but it’s not about that for someone who just wants to have fun since just fliping a coin is really boring. It’s about… well, “fun”.

For me fun is trying to do my best with what I got and just “enjoying” the experience of what’s happening. And I mean Battlegrounds is kind of a completely different game. Yogg doesn’t even do random spells which could do all sorts of weird things. Not saying it’s bad, but it’s just not in any way normal Hearthstone.

Dude 3 times you mention try hards. And you dont care if people want to play competitive… and they are automatically try hards?

What about middle ground and make it fun for everyone… and keep Hero cards in line with other Hero cards and keep those for competitive play

3 Likes

Yogg Box Is my favorite card in standard lol. It’s literally chaos in a nutshell, the power to turn the odds or completely flip you. Risk/Reward play. Reno hero power should have been ‘cast 10 random spells’. If we are gonna do this madness, crazy, insanity spell thing we might as well go full yogg incarnate.

Some quality control is lacking, I will not forget how messed up the Battlegrounds patch was. Golden cards causing incomplete decks, Squelch not working, rerolling quests not working, some more stuff…

This followed right after we had to endure Evolve Hare Shaman for too long

Still, devs shouldn’t take all the blame, also the player base is propagating through the meta faster than before

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I said “tryhards” with quotation marks. I personally mean kind of anyone who plays it competitively in a serious manner. They are trying so hard that they would give anything just to win including playing “OP” and “broken” stuff because finding and abusing that is exactly the point in competitive play since by doing so you’re more likely going to win.

I on the other hand just like to have fun doing and experiencing crazy stuff. So people that take this game “too serious” are quite “annoying”. Just look at the Yogg nerf. Was that really necessary? For competitive play? I guess so. For having fun? No. Not in any way.

I’m just very glad that they actually made the Amazing Reno truly amazing for all the fun that can happen there.

And it’s not like the other two mage cards we got in Galakrond’s Awakening are in the same way all about RNG Clownfiesta. I would call those cards “tryhard cards”. Oh, wow. Look at that. I played 14/12 worth of stats for 7 or maybe even less mana (with Elemental Evocation). Or wow. My Hero Power is now Frostbolt without the Freeze. I’m not saying those cards shouldn’t exist (I even quite like them for what they’re doing after trying them out), but it’s not like the “tryhards” didn’t get stuff to use which isn’t a complete RNG Clownfiesta.

At the end of the day we’re just very different and all I can say is that maybe there should be a “competitive” version for people like you out there.

But I for one am certainly looking forward to play with the Amazing Reno in his full RNG Clownfiesta glory. And as I would say: Like it should be.

:point_up:

Exactly this…

Look at DH lock in wild…

Turn 5 poof board full of big minions. The person playing it says yeaaaaaaaa eat this B…

Opponent thinks wtf is this for bs mechanic…

But again this is a Hero Card. Those are very very rare. Second one for mage… and what do they decide… make it Meme…

Because it’s mega scummy business tactic that lured the majority of people into buying because they stupidly decided to trust that blizz would provide an adventure of quality cards.

…scummy to reveal all the cards before pre order ends
so you can make choose to pre order or not knowing every single card ?

oooooooooookay

1 Like

No, scummy to release a preorder and have it going for 2 weeks, and only revealing the majority of the cards a few days before preorders end lmao.