Congratulations! Hearthstone has officially "upgraded" to a battle pass system!

I looked up available screenshots and the only ones about XP needed to get to a new level are these:

1200 XP to get to level 5 (shown on stream). That’s doable in basically one daily or weekly quest
900 XP to get to level 16 (shown in the YouTube thumbnail for the rewards system video)

That doesn’t even really make sense lmao, looks random.

And the most important part about this system for a f2p player is how much XP you need to go up a level. That’s the info we need.

2 Likes

the xp required is the same, with battle pass you just get 10% extra xp from quests etc, and you could also see what quests etc rewarded during reveal stream

Those who opened 80 or more new packs every expansion will most likely not be able to do it.

They avoided releasing any sort of details about the new system, so it’s likely they will stick to the numbers previously “leaked”.

They are also mixing in random packs and it will appear you get more rewards but any F2P will know 100g or a new pack is worth much more than an old one.

What is it? How much XP is needed to go up each level?

1200 XP like shown on stream? For any level?

If that’s the case that’s frankly amazing. But somehow I doubt it’s that easy. That would mean that you can get 150 gold for a daily quest, basically, beyond level 50.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see that many people debating the subject on the forum. Certainly not astounding-worthy for the time being.

However, I think you’re making a mistake in assuming that other people’s negative experience with battle passes is irrelevant. Earlier you mentioned “other games failed attempts” but thing is… they’re not failed attempt at all. Battle passes are extremely successful in generating a ton of profit by employing exploitative techniques like FOMO. It would be truly naive to believe that Blizzard are implementing a battle pass system without any reason or valid expectation of increased profits.

2 Likes

A clue maybe…

3 Likes

ofc they will increase profit from it, otherwise it wouldnt be implemented. you however make a major error in your reasoning, in your world increased profit = players get screwed. there is however very much possible to both increase profit and still let f2p players get more rewards, which from what has been revealed so far seems to be the case. also keep in mind that they explictly addressed this in the reveal and there is such a thing as false marketing thats very costly if guilty (and you really dont want to start your new system by getting sued in US)

They were quite specific that they wouldn’t be.

How about you wait for them to say what’s in it? Not like complaining now will get them to change anything, especially when you come across as paranoid.

5 Likes

Yeah okay they don’t actually clarify how much XP you need to gain to go up each level.

Even though that’s the most important piece of info.

This is all we need to know to calculate if grinding gold is actually as easy as before or more difficult. If the XP required to go up a level is always 1200 XP, then grinding gold is easier than before.

If beyond level 50 you need to grind like 5K XP to go up a level, that means that 5 daily quests are worth only 150 gold.

3 Likes

Correction: in my world battle pass = players gets screwed. Increased profit is just the reason for it happening in the first place.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, because I don’t see it as being explicit at all and they revealed almost nothing that would allow anyone to make a secure assumption beyond reasonable doubt about the situation. We don’t know how the progression levels scale in exp requirements, we do not know the total amount of the rewards in the battle pass and we also don’t know how much it will cost. In reality, they haven’t marketed falsely. Everything that they said on stream can hold true and everything people like me are concerned about - as well. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. That’s why I said I’ll believe the good when I see it.

What I’m (quite reasonably, if I may say so) suspecting is that the battle pass will both give less gold to players and will require a lot more playtime for the full amount of gold to be accumulated. I understand you think that this won’t happen, that we’ll keep getting a consistent 6-7k gold between expansions and that battle pass levels will be capped at 1200 xp with daily quests of a 1000. I will be very happy if you end up right. Very. Extremely happy. Zero irony on that.

Buuut from Blizzard’s standpoint, it’s better for them to make it so that you don’t have 6-7 k gold at the beginning of each new expansion because this way you’ll have to pre-purchase the new expansion in order to have enough cards to play it…

The changes will be live soon enough and we shall see if we do, indeed, have reason to be happy about them. Like I said, worst case scenario for me, I’ll retire to BGs. They’re keeping the perks separate so they might just reduce the cost of that…

(Seriously though, who would even dare sue Blizzard?)

2 Likes

So why should anyone in the actual world listen to you? It’s likely the free rewards will increase, but this is an impossibility for you?

2 Likes

i bet in his world blizzard loves to get sued for false advertising aswell, which is what his suggested world will result in.

1 Like

Any of the hordes of class-action lawyers wanting their share of Blizzard’s billions of dollars, maybe?

2 Likes

there is no lack of lawyers that just wait for a chance to sue any big company.

Nope. No idea what the levels will be per level, if they stay the same each level, how much you get from daily/weekly quests, how much xp you get from just playing without quests, or anything actually specific about how rewards are earned.

I read and watched everything they release… before I came here. Why don’t you read what people here are suggesting and consider their points before assuming they didn’t read?

This is quite a difficult thing to prove.

Off the top of my head, if levels are uncapped you could earn 150g 24/7 by playing, which would be by definition increased rewards from the previous system that capped your daily gold.

So they can be 100% true and accurate in any legal sense, and 100% evil in the reality of what players experience.

The devil is in the details, and we still need those to understand exactly what we have been given as a new system.

Edit: I am not saying they are 100% evil or that the new system will be, simply that it is possible to loudly promote increased rewards with a reality that is very different from the expectation.

1 Like

interesting, you say yourself its difficult to prove yet you trumpet out with all your might that blizzard are scamming their players and that the end of all is coming. how is that possible if you cant prove it?

…that’s not what I said.

I am simply not naive enough to think that blizzard looked at their system and decided to completely overhaul it simply because they thought players should get more free stuff, because that’s basically the position you are taking.

3 Likes

It’s what they said they were doing, actually, and it’s being forced on them by their competitors most notably MTG:Arena.

So, when people accuse you of not reading, it’s direct developer statements that the expected rewards for all styles of play would be the same or better that they’re referring to.

Sure, I suppose you could believe that after a massive PR-fixing campaign where they directly addressed these concerns that they would renege on the single most important thing they emphasized repeatedly, but then the rest of us get to point out your foolishness.

1 Like

I don’t believe it until I see the details that support it. I don’t really care what the PR says because I don’t believe most advertisements are complete information.

Further, what else would they say? “Hey everyone, we want more cash so we are hosing F2P to reap more cash, but you’ll love it.”

1 Like

Always let your feelings matter more than facts. Stay strong hsanon!