Chinese Botting Might Ruin Arena

https://esports.gg/news/hearthstone/chinese-botting-might-ruin-the-hearthstone-arena/

So says an Esports article published yesterday. Because bots accumulate so much gold, they are able to enter an arena run and, if their draft is bad, they simply leave and enter again (repeat) until they draft well. This puts normal players at a major disadvantage, because they draft once, while bots draft until their deck is very powerful.

1 Like

I hate Arena and never play it so I could care less.

I don’t understand, what is the purpose of botting, to make gold? If so, then rejecting a draft is an immediate waste of 150 gold, they might as well run the deck to 3 wins or more to recoup some of the gold.

Am I missing something?

Article is not making sense to me.

Zeddy covered this a bit more. According to actual Chinese players, they can just push more games and draft more consistently more often than a normal person driving up their average game wins rate, to the point where they just face each other often.

They apparently can make enough gold doing this that people pay for the service to bot their account for gold.

I think I misunderstood what the purpose is, it seems to be a micro economy where Chinese streamers pay botting accounts larger sums of money to buy access to super drafts that can curb stomp the average player. This apparently is very popular content to watch for streams in China.

So essentially we, the non botting, non cheating players are the cannon fodder for these super drafts that get sold like commodities to Chinese streamers… lol bizarre af.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Botting in China is extremely common apparently. So much so that streamers seem to have some symbiotic relationship with them. It’s not frowned upon there like we think it should be.

To summarize some key points regarding this phenomenon of using an accumulation of botted gold to generate super drafts.

1). Botting generates tons of free gold, which allows players to simply retire bad Arena drafts, without any need or motivation for playing a bad draft. Such bot account players only play Arena super drafts that can ROFL-stomp the typical drafts played by non-bot accounts.

2). So there are two money making markets generated by this botting behavior as it relates to Arena:

1. Non-infinite players can buy accounts with large resources of botted gold so they can have the pleasure of using super drafts to ROFL-stomp other players who do not break the rules by botting.

2. For some weird reason there is a market for selling super drafts to streamers, because super draft runs are popular to watch in China.

I have been aware of this super draft behavior for years just through simple deduction, and it was always more prevalent on the Asian server. I also thought botting and super drafts would never be a topic that I would talked directly about, but I did recently hint about it:

Now without going into detail of how to best accomplish super drafts as a non-botter, I will point out there is a methodology for accomplishing super drafts that does not involve cheating.

Without a doubt super drafts have become prevalent now on the NA server, since the collapse of the partnership between NetEase and Blizzard.

Yep, this ^ epitomizes the negative impact that botting has on Arena.

How does that get them on the Leaderboards? Doesn’t the new leaderboard count all the runs not just the best consecutive 30? If you have a bunch of 0 win retires to get to your super draft wouldn’t that lower your average score?

You misunderstand their motivations they couldn’t care less about leader boards. Apparently all they care about is the views they get for their streams. The article claims that super drafts curbstomping average arena drafts makes for some of the highest viewed streams in China. Go figure.

You should see my Golf Club VS Kittens videos. Along the same lines.

This is actually very funny as it defeats the purpose of playing arena in the first place: get the most wins with whatever you got.

Watching streamers crush opponents with super drafts is meaningless, the only thing it teaches you is “pay to win” and “wow, I can finally win this way”.

Blizzard doesn’t even support the Chinese market anymore. They should really crack down on this type of behavior.

1 Like