Caverns of time packs ... are these still messed up?

i’m not sure where to look up what the status of these are … anyone know if the “bugginess” of opening these packs still exists?

They aren’t buggy anymore, there was some issues with 1 of cards you own being hidden from collection, but they fixed that.

1 Like

wasn’t there a problem with duplicate protection? or is that what you were talking about? i thought people were complaining that these packs were a money sink b/c of the dupe protection issue … is that fixed also?

1 Like

If you already have most of the cards in your collection, try this: buy CoT packs until you get the first legendary, then switch to buying just “Wild” packs to complete your CoT commons and rares. After that, if you want specific CoT epics and legendaries, switch back to CoT packs, or simply craft the cards you want.

If you’re missing lots of commons and rares from old Wild sets, this won’t work. But it’s what I did since I’ve been diligent about collecting at least all commons and rares from every set.

does this mean that the issues around dupe protection still exist or we don’t know until someone (like me =/) tries at it again?

yeah i mean, i’m not like kripp with all the original golden legendaries or anything, but i do have a nearly full set of the original core/legacy/w\e u want to call that year 1 set that came with that short open beta period … and after i heard there were issues with cot packs, i’ve been waiting to hear that they were fixed before considering opening any cot or other packs containg wild cards …

there’s enough frustration with stuff like core stuff rotating in and out – dealing with deck codes that contain loaner cards, not being able to remember whether i owned cards from a particular set during that time, wanting to craft/disenchant and having to wait to hope for the next rotation to remember what i wanted to do with the collection half a year ago, etc. – that i just don’t want another hassle, or to waste a ton of gold on things that i basically get little compensation for (i.e. worse than “normal” packs)

i mean, i can hold out (/“hunger strike”) on this as long as it’s still an issue … i’m not going to buy/open any of the cot packs until they’ve brought them in line with buying other types of packs … i just wanted to see if it had already been done/confirmed

The only actual dup protection issue I’m aware of was on golden cards
For plain versions I didn’t encounter any dupe protection issue
If you already have 2 copies of a card from its original set, or from CoT, you won’t open it in CoT until you get all cards of that rarity twice in either expansion
If you only own 1 copy of it, from its original set, CoT will give you a second copy of it from the original set
If you only own 1 copy of it, from CoT, CoT will give you a second copy of it from CoT set
If you don’t own any copy of it, it will open normally

What was extremely missleading is that
-both versions of a card couldn’t appear at the same time in your collection, you had to filter expansion by expansion to see each one individually
-Once you collected each card of a rarity in 2 copies, a second layer of duplicate protection will allow you to get 2 additionnal copies to complete both expansion (original and CoT). And these cards were also flagged as NEW when oppening packs

okay so let me see if i understand … and let me try to use a concrete example … i only have 1 tiny knight from the grand tournament, i think back before dupe protection existed for rares … in opening cot packs, i will eventually open 3 tiny knights before dupe protection kicks in … 1 to fill up tgt, and 2 for cot?

if i had no tiny knights from tgt, would i open 4 tiny knights, or only 2 for cot? this is of course assuming i’m opening “infinite” packs until dupe protection kicks in … i think from the last note you are saying that i would still open 4, but i’m uncertain

and are you saying that’s essentially what the complaint was, that people didn’t want to be backfilling past expansions as they opened packs?

There was only like one or two minor issues, which had minimal impact.

If anyone says there were huge problems, like with dup protection for example, that’s just a result of people not understanding how the set works.

Yeah duplicate protection works, insofar as you won’t get an extra copy of a card until you have owned a full playset of all the other cards of that rarity, but AFTER THAT I still think the way reprints work is a huge problem.

The reprint and the original are treated by the system as separate cards because they have different watermarks, so for instance even if you already have two regular originals of a common the first two regular reprints you open of that same common are treated as “new” and will not count as “extra” when you press the button to dust your extras, even though to any sane person any regular copy of the same card beyond what you can fit in a deck would be extra. You have to open your third copy of the common reprint you already have two originals of before you will automatically get any dust back. Sure you could dust all these extra cards manually, but practically speaking it’s difficult to do because it’s hard to tell which ones are extra, so the value of both CoT and Wild packs is greatly lowered.

Furthermore, if you are trying to complete collection achievements, the reprints do not count toward completing the old sets. And duplicate protection actually works against you here, because if you open the reprint first, the original will no longer be on the list of cards you still need to own before you can open other duplicates. You’ll probably have to craft the old version to get those achievements. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/168izu2/the_definitive_qa_on_caverns_of_time_packs/

My plan in light of all this is to not open any CoT packs until I have opened or crafted all of the original versions of reprinted cards, because I want those achievements. I have enough dust to do it.

If you have one tiny knight from tournament, you will receive another tiny knight from tournament
Then you won’t get any other until you get 2 copies of each card of the same rarity available in CoT
Once you have 2 copies of all, the packs will give you 2 more copies of each so you have 2 copies in all available ewpansions
So you will get 2 other tiny knights, from CoT
But you won’t get a 5th one until you have 4 copies of each card of the rarity, 2 in each available expansion
After that only will you get actual duplicates

Basically you have a first layer of dupe protection that works as you may expect
Then a second layer once the first has finished its job

As someone stated after me, this was really confusing to people as the different versions are not considered as duplicates, just like 2 plain and 2 golden are not duplicates

At least this is how I saw it working when I opened my packs

if i have 0 copies of a card, does cot or the expansion it came from fill in first?

do cot packs, if they fill in a card slot for say tgt, is what cheezcurls saying true about the collection achievement? does it not count unless you specifically open it from a tgt pack?

You will open it first from the expansion pack you open if you have 0, once the first layer is finished, you will fill the expansion you didn’t have any in
It also works for the other expansions. If you have all commons from tgt, tgt packs will give you the CoT commons that you don’t own and that are in both expansion

Cards will only count toward achievements if they are in the correct expansion. CoT versions don’t count toward tgt collection achievment

Another point : cards are interchangeable toward deck building. If tgt is banned from a set, you can still use tgt cards that are also in CoT if you don’t own the cot version.
This also didn’t work at first, reinforcing the bad feelings about it

so basically, if i care at all about the collection achievement i would either need to make sure i open tgt (or other expansion) packs until those card slots are filled, and then start opening cot … otherwise, i would need to dust the ones that cot gives me, and then do other expansions?

if that’s correct, then honestly that still screams bugged af to me … if they are going to cross-blend the collection, they ought to be able to fix the achievement code to fit their own inconsistent scheme

Basically yeah
The achievement system could have changed since but I wouldn’t be aware of it
But at least the duplicate protection was not as bugged as ppl pretended it to be and they since fixed the actual bugs that could affect what you get and what you can play (I hope)

1 Like

it was never messed up or bugged
duplicate protection always worked for this set too

the issue was on the collection manager visibility

thanks for spelling things out … i hope they fix the achievement part, but i guess most of what i remember seeing as a complaint falls in line with misunderstanding the double duplicate protection … although i think the other part of it was the fact that it seemed to have the idea of trying to trick people into buying more packs behind it … which, i’d say there’s still maybe a bit of credibility to until the inconsistencies are cleared up =/

I’ve been opening GvG, TGT, WotOG, and MSoG packs. I already had all the commons and rares from those but they haven’t given me any CoT cards.

do you mean the cot cards that came from those expansions? like if you only had 1 tiny knight thorough tgt, tiny knight is now out of the openable card pool from tgt?? did they ever apply dupe protection to the older sets?

if that’s true, that makes the achievement issue even more bugged/a money grab =/ it would almost be funny if it weren’t so stupid

::sigh:: i might have to do some card accounting and see if i can afford to add to the testing effort opening those old packs =/

hey blizz, would you care to give me a copy of my account on a ptr so i can test things more thoroughly? would be nice to get to the bottom of this mechanic so we know what’s up and they know what we want fixed