Catchup packs suck for veteran players

It’s crazy to me that they’re called “catchup” packs, yet there’s no duplicate protection just from RARE cards. From most of the catchup packs, I’ve gotten duplicates, whereas I’m still missing some rare cards from badlands. What a waste

2 Likes

Catchup packs don’t have Badlands cards, though. And I think they do have duplicate protection, but only for the seasons they cover.

4 Likes

isn’t obvious that catch-up packs are not for veterans ?

They are for player that start today with Badlands and can get the other Standard valid cards at low price.

edit: and i think duplicate protection is active , but if you dusted in the past it will not work with dusted cards.

5 Likes

there is duplicate protection across all rarities

4 Likes

They only have duplicate protection for non-golden copies of cards. I’ve gotten several non-golden copies of reward track rares from these packs while I’m still missing several rares from a few expansions.

Duplicate protection only works per expansion
If you receive a rare for an expansion where you already have all rares, it’s not gonna turn into a rare from another expansion where you miss some

1 Like

It’s… a catchup deck.

It’s designed to give you a lot of cards (not from the current expansion) so that you can build a collection that allows you to play in the current ranked season without relying on loaner decks.

If you’ve been playing for a long time, or constantly, then catchup packs aren’t made for you. You’ll get some value out of it, sure, but not as much as someone who hasn’t played Hearthstone for years.

And if you get a lot of duplicates, then just disenchant them, then you can use the dust to make the cards you want.

1 Like

Catch-Up packs suck for people that need not catch up.
Count me shocked.

4 Likes

They are not bad, but players who have almoast full sets… don’t need them. :slight_smile: I was happy to see they can contain up to 50 cards per pack. Thats great for new players I think!

1 Like

Management of this game is unfortunate, they privilege new players, while veterans NEVER get anything good!! I always open 5 cards in this new pack format. For me it’s complete rubbish!

2 Likes

Again, catch up packs are designed specifically to get people back into the game.

If you’re constantly playing then you shouldn’t have a problem getting into a game with a new deck, and you certainly shouldn’t have any issues creating cards that you need with dust.

1 Like

I don’t need to catch up but one of my free packs had a legendary :smile:

Also we saw our nephew for Thanksgiving. He hadn’t played in a long time so we got to watch him open his catch-up packs and get 100 cards. He a poor college student will be able to start playing again over the break because of this :smile:

This is the time to think about people you know who used to play and get them to play with you again! We all win!

2 Likes

Yes, I can understand your point… I play since Beta phase too, left for years and didn’t get anything when returned because returner rewards didn’t exist yet. I had to dust all my old cards to be able craft a proper deck and start to play for free. I choosed Paladin the only class to master and have almoast 7000 wins with it now… Didn’t get anything since except 500 win gold portrait, 1000 win gold portrait, 5000 win gold legendary core set. But we also get stuff from events, they even refreshed the reward hero skins for achievment and reward track finish. They could also give rewards for veteran players too… but what could they give us? +1 bonus stars each month for beeing a veteran in the game? Or an option to chose a hero skin or card back from the shop for free / 500 wins would be good. I just say I am happy atleast the new players can get now a lot of cards for free to start with. I got 5 cards from catchup packs too… but my collections are all above 95%… So I can accept this… atleast they gave something. :wink:

The only good thing I got from this game was the day the biggest BUG in the game occurred: the free arcane powder!! I received 8000 arcane dust out of nowhere!! When I saw the announcement of the free dust prize when starting the game, I instantly thought, this is a bug and they are going to get it back, I crafted a lot of legendary ones for wild mode!! I went to the BR forum and everyone was happy and loving Blizzard!! I joined this forum and everyone was loving Blizzard for the beautiful free gift!! … 4 hours passed and Blizzard recovered the dust given by mistake from everyone. Those who were smart spent it quickly and those who didn’t do it still cry today for the free dust!! What I do is laugh!!

yes its good for returning players, just dont say veteran players should be grateful for them.

my last 3 Catchup packs gave 1 epic and 1 rare and 100 dust.

You HAVE been given things all along the time you;ve played to be able to title yourself a veteran. You;ve got all the rewards from xp tracks, from just logging in or opening a certain expansion;s booster, you got all the packs from end of month rank rewards, you got all the prizes from arenas or duels, tavern brawls, etc. YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN SO MUCH AND FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

The gifts for the long-time-no-play-returning-players is just for them because they missed out on all of those freebies. You did not.

These people that say this beaten trope of “something for us veterans too” are the type of folk that prolly think they should also get a gift when they go to someone else’s birthday party. If you have enough sense to know that you shouldnt be whining about not getting a gift when you attend someone else’s bday party, then the same sense applies here. The Welcome Back shindig going on with the catch up packs is not for you, the so called “veterans”.

Show a little dignity and less entitled to demand freebies when someone else is getting something.

2 Likes

lol people complaining about how the catch up packs work is just peak entitled boomer player energy. xD

And this is coming from a fellow ‘veteran’ of the game. When they introduce stuff that disproportionately helps new players compared to older ones, you know what happens to me? I feel jealous for like, idk, 30 seconds, then I get over it bc it’s a game and I’m happy the game is becoming even more accessible to more people.

1 Like