Can we compare the old and new ranking?

I just reached platinum 10 and was wondering how that compares to the old system? Anyone have a guess?
I have no idea if I’m doing well or not.

1 Like

Plat 10 is the equivalent to the old Rank 10.

1 Like

Thank you. Is there a chart or something to compare them?

1 Like

And Diamond 5 is the old “Rank 5”, supposedly; it’s the cutoff to earn an Epic for the month, win streaks stop earning a bonus, and it’s a rank floor. However, it’s 15 games to Legend from there, rather than the old 25.

1 Like

Seems much faster to me given the massive win streak star bonuses.

Not really. They spaced a lot out with the new ranking system but compensated heavily with star bonuses. They don’t scale quite right with one another, but the general idea is that it’s easier to climb now for the most part, at least to your previous month’s rank. Might as well forget about the old ladder equivalencies, since they won’t be around anymore.

For anyone who actually wants to ascend the ladder, this is 100% an improvement, as you’ll spend a lot less time getting to “your spot” so you can start progressing beyond your previous month’s milestone.

2 Likes

My first impressions of the new ladder.

• The best thing about this new system is that the rewards are definitely more scaled to each other. With the previous system, the only significant dust reward for ladder climbing relative to each other was 15 and 5. Now you can accumulate a good amount of packs even at Platinum. Then there are the first time rewards which is nice too.

• The difficulty seems to be the same. At Bronze 10, I was playing Rank 5 - Legend players on the Wild Ladder. Quest Mage and Druid for 80% of my games, Paladin, Warlock, and Shaman splitting the remaining 20%. But even still, I have been winning games and currently at Platinum 3 which is like Rank 12 equivalent. This is not much different than starting at Rank 8-9 where the past season players from Rank 5-4 drop to.

• A bit more grind, but spread out. There appears to be a similar grind spread out with the new system. I will admit the old system was fairly easy to get to 5 once you got there a couple times. However, this system you need to put a bit of grinding effort to get there. But this is day 1 of 30 for me to get to Diamond 5 and I’m already at Platinum 3. It starts to slow around here. A few of my friends have already hit Diamond 5 and that was this morning.

My biggest gripe is that the difficulty of the matches remain consistent even though my ranks are lower. I get that it’s relative to my own ability, but it’s annoying to play against the same top tiered decks every game even when I’m at the bottom rung. Day 1 for high MMR players, you better have a ladder deck ready. Quest Mage, Jade Druid, Even Shaman. In the past, all you had to do was either play aggro or counter it, many of which were easier to beat or not as frustrating to play against.

2 Likes

This new system is insanely good for legend players - I got legend for the first time last season and the 10x star bonus has carried me to diamond 3 already. I’ve been playing 4 hours today, and I’m ready to play another 4 to get to legend tonight. It’s kinda crazy that it’s feasible to hit legend on the first day, but I guess it gives us more time to play for high legend once we get there.

Thanks to the advice of others I abandoned my boycott of ranked and am currently at 9 platinum. Is that the same as rank 9 in the old system?

Not really, you have more ranks to go but fewer stars per rank.

I’d stop trying to reconcile the two and just celebrate progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really I am just trying to determine how I am doing. I have no reference.

1 Like

Today and this month will officially begin a new reference for you :+1:

If it helps, I’m at Bronze 8 but I’ve literally only had time to play a single ladder game today after getting my Brawl pack lol

2 Likes

Dont even bother with that so soon. Wait until next season when the new system will at least start to normalise.

1 Like

But I know you have mad skills, so I am not worried a bit for you lol. You will blow past me with one session of play.(if you can get your kid to sleep, that is. lmao)

Hah! Somewhere between work, that, wifey time and the exhaustion brought about by all of the above, I’m sure I’ll work in some more matches here or there.

I’m honestly in semi-burnout mode just waiting for AoO to hit, so I’ll just be taking my time seeing how fast I can rank up with stuff like Chenvaala Mage and Highlander Priest/Shaman.

2 Likes

Just stay healthy, Drum. I know you are still going out to work and such. You take care, you hear?

1 Like

You can mostly think of the new Leagues as matching up to old rank floors:

Bronze is roughly equivalent to the old 25-21.
Silver to the old 20-16.
Gold to the old 15-11.
Platinum to the old 10-6.
Diamond to the old 5-1.
And Legend is still Legend.

From what I’ve seen so far, you can’t lose stars in the Bronze league, just like it worked previously below rank 20.

And I’ve read that win streak bonuses are supposed to stop at Diamond 5, just like they previously did at rank 5. But I’ve only played enough to make it a little way into Silver so far, so I haven’t seen that myself.

6 Likes

So I am where I always was. Good to know lol.
I take great pride in my mediocrity :smile:

1 Like

Always. My workplace is removed from the general public, so I’m about as low-risk at my job as one can be.

1 Like

Its the old, legend players at rank 20 early month. Play at mid season to wait the monsters go to their real rank, then to let yourself have easier time laddering.

Tho, you better play at early season to see how are people in higher level plays, and familiarize yourself to high competitive climate.

1 Like