Can Standard be saved?

I don’t know whether it’s incompetence, ignorance, stupidity, or negligence, but the state of Standard is utterly pathetic. Its 100% aggro/tempo/face. Hell, they even turned a Control class into yet another brainless hit face class and turned the entire thing into a moronic strategy free game of snap. They added a new class which was another Face class. I expect it’s because the Devs actually lack the intellect to balance the game where actual back and forth and strategy actually matter.

Battlegrounds is the most popular Game and they’ve even managed to dumb that down to the point where it’s dying too.

If a match can be concluded in 5 or 6 turns with no ability to respond then you’ve made a broken game. If the only way to beat these decks is to play the same deck and hope RNG works in your favor. Then you’ve made a broken game. If the only viable way to play is to literally race to kill the other player. Then you’ve made a broken game.

By effectively destroying Control, and turning MidRange into another Tempo you’ve ruined the strategy and ruined the game.

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this disaster? If so, then what? And if not then why do people still play? There are plenty of CCG’s out there now and many of them actually provide the level of interplay that used to exist in Hearthstone. Just look at the big HS Streamers, non of them play Standard any more.

Maybe Microsoft can fix this. Replace, fire, train, or provide proper day care to the Devs and maybe they’ll manage to fix this garbage, but I expect this mode is dead and soon the whole Hearthstone platform will follow it.

How is battleground the most popular play mode ?

Based on Streams, Streamers, YouTube, viewers, and others. It is literally the only Game Mode being played except for a very few outliers, and its been stated by a number of insiders that Battlegrounds is the biggest Game Mode in Hearthstone currently.

1 Like

What a stupid sh*t stream.

Go away!

That’s a good sign to see peak hearthstone has passed.

Now they’re throwing mercenaries and skins at us.

How about no.
The game is a fkn disaster. Has been since Ben Brode left.
Its devolved into a brainless garbagefest. The only logical conclusion is that those making it are equally as brainless. It takes extreme incompetence to utterly destroy the fundamentals of the core design. Which has been done here. The devs are either, incompetent, ignorant, stupid, or negligent. Or perhaps any combination or two or more.
The only other logical conclusion would be that they’re actively trying to ruin the game, but as that would mean trying to destroy revenue, so that can’t be it.

You should stop playing.

1 Like

Yep, more worthless digital crap for people to waste money on. Seems like the only thing the game has left. Milking idiots of their money for nothing of value.

?
its a game

fun has value

Remove battlegrounds.

This may very well be your personal experience, but it’s far from what mine has been.

I assume you’re not talking about combo decks, since you are only facing aggressive decks. You can of course build control decks that consistently beat face decks. Life/Armor gain, removal and taunts are all options available to most classes in various quantities.

If you were talking about combo decks. Cult Neophyte, Far Watchpost and Mutanus are all potentially helpful against combo. There are a bunch of class cards that could help depending on which class you prefer.

I’m not trying to defend combo decks, but there are always options to improve specific matchups.

It’s not that simple. They could absolutely design sets to limit combo and slow down the game overall. This would likely mean printing weaker sets though. A weaker set means less revenue. Why buy a weak set that has little to no impact on a Meta? Each set needs to introduce new archetypes and keywords and they shouldn’t be significantly weaker than the previous set. This isn’t a tiny game, the difference between powerful and weak expansions is probably a hell of a lot more money than I could imagine.

Well that wasn’t really an answer to your question, but suffice to say they would have to take a gigantic chance with the first expansion of the year and also another core rotation. All designed to reduce the power level. And hope to god it was well received, because it probably wouldn’t sell nearly as well as a set filled with powerful and flashy cards.

1 Like